Porting pyglet to ARM

Francisco Costa

Oct 3, 2008, 7:27:08 AM10/3/08
to pyglet...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
Sorry for the n00bish question. I'm interested in developing with
Pyglet for the soon-to-be Pandora handheld [1].
Pandora runs an ARM processor, so I'd like to know if it is possible
to have pyglet in ARM with a bit of work. Since pyglet only depende on
python and AVbin I think the problem might be with AVbin. Well, AVbin
is a wrapper around ffmpeg, and ffmpeg works with ARM. Would it be
hard to make AVbin support the ARM architecture as well?

Thanks in advance,
Francisco

[1] http://www.openpandora.org

Laurens Simonis

Oct 3, 2008, 8:14:03 AM10/3/08
to pyglet...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

> Sorry for the n00bish question. I'm interested in developing with
> Pyglet for the soon-to-be Pandora handheld [1].
> Pandora runs an ARM processor, so I'd like to know if it is possible
> to have pyglet in ARM with a bit of work. Since pyglet only depende on
> python and AVbin I think the problem might be with AVbin. Well, AVbin
> is a wrapper around ffmpeg, and ffmpeg works with ARM. Would it be
> hard to make AVbin support the ARM architecture as well?

I want exactly the same, but I don't really mind not being able to use AVbin; it
would be a pity if I had to port my stuff over to PyGame.

I heard that it's not very likely, since Pyglet depends on opengl, and that is
included through something called c-types, which apparently does not support
something called closures on arm. And from what I understood, it's unlikely that
closures are going to be supported on arm.

What those closures are, however, I don't know :) Why are closures not
supported on ARM?

Cheers!

Laurens

Francisco Costa

Oct 3, 2008, 8:37:29 AM10/3/08
to pyglet-users
From what I understand AVbin is used for video playback but also for
image loading? I once made made a simple experiment with pyglet,
displaying a simple image. Packed it with py2exe, sent to a friend and
it complained of avbin not present in his computer. That kinda ruins
pyglet for ARM, right?

Laurens Simonis

Oct 3, 2008, 8:44:33 AM10/3/08
to pyglet...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 05:37:29AM -0700, Francisco Costa wrote:

> >From what I understand AVbin is used for video playback but also for
> image loading? I once made made a simple experiment with pyglet,
> displaying a simple image. Packed it with py2exe, sent to a friend and
> it complained of avbin not present in his computer. That kinda ruins
> pyglet for ARM, right?

I run pyglet without AVbin, so it's definately not needed for everything.

Cheers,

laurens

Luke Paireepinart

Oct 3, 2008, 9:19:41 AM10/3/08
to pyglet...@googlegroups.com
Yay pandora!
We might have to do some work on ctypes to get it working. :(

infinite8s

Oct 5, 2008, 2:16:52 PM10/5/08
to pyglet-users

Basically, to run pyglet on any architecture, you need OpenGL support
and ctypes support (to call the native OpenGL library). I believe that
ctypes has ARM support, so if the pandora runs linux, then it should
be pretty easy to run pyglet.

Francisco Costa

Oct 7, 2008, 10:13:04 AM10/7/08
to pyglet-users
Yes, if ctypes is supported by ARM/linux then it is just a problem
with OpenGL. Since OpenGL ES is not an objective for pyglet (I
think? :P) maybe it is just a question of getting some kind of
translator from OpenGL to OpenGL ES.
This page http://www.unrealvoodoo.org/hiteck/projects/maemo/ has some
info on a project called glesport that aims to do this.

I really hope it will be possible in a near future to run pyglet on
the Pandora :) I'm about to start learning pyglet and the recent
joystick support improvements (pyglet-svn) are looking good.

Cheers,
Francisco