OSX carbon window ID

Thomas Hansen

Oct 19, 2009, 10:03:35 PM10/19/09
to pyglet-users
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get VTK (Visualization Toolkit) to draw into a pyglet
window. VTK lets me easily set the window to draw into by using a
function called vtkWindow::SetWindowInfo. On windows, this works
great with a pyglet window and self._hwnd. On linux it also works
great using self._window (of the pyglet window).

On OSX things don't seem to work out though...passing self._window
doesn't seem to do much at all. I'm pretty sure the VTK function
wants a pointer to a HIView. However, the _window attribute of a
pyglet window is a WindowRef. I have tried using carbon.HIViewGetRoot
(self._window), which makes the window decoration the color the VTK
window draws to its background. I dont't have much experience with
carbon..so really i don't think i know what I'm doing. I think maybe I
want the child HIView of teh one returned by HIViewGetRoot?

I've tried going a step further by trying to call carbon.HIViewFindByID
(root, carbon.kHIViewWindowContentID, byref(win_id)) . where root is
the result of the call to carbon.HIViewGetRoot(self._window) and
win_id is a c_void_p() i was expecting my result in ... but the code
just hangs when i try to make this call.

Any ideas?

Thanks