[pygame] starting the rewrite

1 view

jug

Apr 30, 2009, 8:08:43 PM4/30/09
to pygame...@seul.org
Hello,

Today, I started to write some first lines of code for the new
pygame.org website and
just checked it into SVN. For further questions I'd like to create
tickets in the
development-trac (and maybe write here a mail with a link).
We are still searching for a web-designer, so please help us.
Over again, please write your name to the list there if you'd like to
participate.

Regards
Julian

Nicholas Dudfield

Apr 30, 2009, 9:48:38 PM4/30/09
to pygame...@seul.org
Julian,

Has everyone decided that Django is to be used?

Marcus von Appen

May 1, 2009, 6:49:43 AM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org

From my perspective it was (more or less) settled to go with Django, if
Julian and Orcun (and pretty much everyone else, who wants to work on
the rewrite) are more comfortable with it than with something else.

As far as I can see, noone else explicitly voted against it, but instead
cherrypy was mentioned as an alternative.
Personally, as I can read from Julian's and Orcun's GSoC proposals, they
have a lot of ideas with Django and how to implement the website with
it.

In order to have a solid solution, I strongly support Django here for
the obvious (already mentioned) reasons of having two skilled developers
for it.

Regards
Marcus

Devon Scott-Tunkin

May 1, 2009, 12:10:00 PM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org

>We are still searching for a web-designer, so please help us.
>Over again, please write your name to the list there if you'd like to >participate.

which list where? err what's the link?

I thought I got on the google list, and then I tried to join the first one (trac?) but it never sent me the e-mail.

I don't have a lot of web design experience, but I am trying to get some. I currently work mostly as a print designer (while also going to grad school for game dev), but I know css/html well enough. I can make some photoshop mockups for different styles for people to discuss, or hack the current pygame css to look pretty in the meantime. I assume there will be a basic css template eventually (possibly more) for the whole site with django generating the html from a database, but I am not familiar with django or web backends beyond some basic php/mysql.

Devon

my website is minimal and very static. I don't like the design much anymore, but it does have an interesting css menu system.

http://www.devonscott-tunkin.com

I managed to make my wikka wiki look pretty recently, but since it's a personal wiki I haven't yet fixed some of the ie bugs and other rough patches that require php hacking:

http://wiki.devonscott-tunkin.com/

Mikhail Ramendik

May 1, 2009, 12:18:53 PM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org
I am a professional tech writer/editor and will gladly review any docs that need reviewing - just direct me to them.

2009/5/1 jug <j...@fantasymail.de>

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

René Dudfield

May 1, 2009, 12:40:40 PM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org

hi,

the discussion never reached a conclusion for me... code just started
being written.

When the website rewrite process started in late January, cherrypy was
suggested by pymike.
http://groups.google.com/group/pygame-mirror-on-google-groups/browse_thread/thread/34a561e3ac7ebc26/1b36d71a37af7216

Also in the rewrite thread cherrypy was suggested by me and Nicholas.
Other people have said they were happy with either. We also got a
promise of support from the main author of cherrypy in case we have
any nasty problems, and there was another offer of help from another
person on the cherrypy mailing list to actually help writing the
website.

There are more than just two people interested in joining the website rewrite.

I think there are more of the most active pygame contributors
interested in contributing to a cherrypy based website.

Since the other website rewrite has been started without concluding
our discussion, I too am just going to go forward and write a new
website for pygame.org.

As one of the people who has been maintaining pygame for a long time,
and who has also made some(small) changes to the current website code,
and written many pages on the website - I hope other people join the
cherrypy based effort.

May the best website win!

cu,

Shaun Mahood

May 1, 2009, 2:01:21 PM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org
As much fun as it is to watch everyone split apart to do their own
thing, I have a few questions (not knowing anything about either
Django or cherrypy).

Do both of the frameworks "hide" all the database interactions? If
possible, it could save a ton of headaches later on if a database
structure could be set for both teams to develop on. If there were a
common set of methods written as well to interact with the database,
then you would have a whole lot of common sections between the two
rewrites.

Is there a common set of agreed upon requirements for the new website?
This would at least give people a basis to compare things on, and
perhaps as time went on to make decisions on whether cherrypy or
django is a better fit for what we need.

Which of the two systems gives greater control for low level
operations? I'm attempting to learn Ruby on Rails right now to help
with prototyping and speeding up development, and am finding it to be
quite a pain to learn all sorts of very specific ways to manipulate
things. As much fun as it is to have your framework do all the heavy
lifting for you, I think there needs to be a relatively simple way to
jump into the database and play with the SQL code and the interactions
between the website and the database. I'm kind of assuming that both
frameworks allow you to play with the HTML, javascript and CSS easily
if you need to.

I think everyone involved is definitely smart enough to create a very
good website no matter what framework is chosen. For saving the
learning curve of future collaborators, I would put my vote to the
framework that allows the easiest low level manipulation without
having to learn a whole ton of extra stuff (thankfully for everyone,
my vote doesn't count :)

Good luck to everyone
Shaun

Jake b

May 1, 2009, 2:12:28 PM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org
Maybe we need a vote thread.

1st line: pick your framework
2nd like: amount of work you expect to put in.

No discussion, just vote tallies, so we can see if it's definitely one
sided, and to stick with that. [ keeping discussion in another thread
]

I 2nd shaun. I can write css/php/html, but haven't volunteered yet
since I haven't used django/cherrypy. So I could help if you have
access to that level. [ Haven't written a website in py yet, but it
sounds fun. ]
--
Jake

Casey Duncan

May 1, 2009, 2:33:11 PM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org
On May 1, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Shaun Mahood wrote:

> As much fun as it is to watch everyone split apart to do their own
> thing, I have a few questions (not knowing anything about either
> Django or cherrypy).
>
> Do both of the frameworks "hide" all the database interactions? If
> possible, it could save a ton of headaches later on if a database
> structure could be set for both teams to develop on. If there were a
> common set of methods written as well to interact with the database,
> then you would have a whole lot of common sections between the two
> rewrites.

Django comes with a built-in orm, so in that sense it does "hide" db
interactions, though I'm pretty sure you can plugin whatever you like.

Cherrpy is completely agnositic wrt storage and has no built-in orm.
Overall Cherrypy is much less of an overall framework than Django is.
With Cherrypy projects I have done my storage has ranged from
filesystem only, database via SQLAlchemy (which rocks) and database
via dbapi (which is really only best for special-purpose needs).

> Is there a common set of agreed upon requirements for the new website?
> This would at least give people a basis to compare things on, and
> perhaps as time went on to make decisions on whether cherrypy or
> django is a better fit for what we need.
>

> Which of the two systems gives greater control for low level
> operations? I'm attempting to learn Ruby on Rails right now to help
> with prototyping and speeding up development, and am finding it to be
> quite a pain to learn all sorts of very specific ways to manipulate
> things. As much fun as it is to have your framework do all the heavy
> lifting for you, I think there needs to be a relatively simple way to
> jump into the database and play with the SQL code and the interactions
> between the website and the database. I'm kind of assuming that both
> frameworks allow you to play with the HTML, javascript and CSS easily
> if you need to.

Django is definitely higher level than CherryPy. Which is better
totally depends on what is being done and who is doing it.

-Casey

Casey Duncan

May 1, 2009, 2:35:02 PM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org
I would vote that anyone not actually working on the website gets no
vote in how it is implemented 8^). I think armchair web jockeying
should be limited to features and aesthetics, if anything.

How many folks are actually working on this?

-Casey

Devon Scott-Tunkin

May 1, 2009, 3:16:49 PM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org

I don't know either framework, but I'm partial to Django becuase of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

May 1, 2009, 4:58:59 PM5/1/09
to pygame...@seul.org
> I would vote that anyone not actually
> working on the website gets no vote in how it is implemented

I completely agree that votes should only count if you are putting
work in. Don't think a vote thread would actually be useful, though -
seems like the kind of thing where everyone would volunteer and then
disappear.

I would be willing to assist if there is any need for direct T-SQL
work or questions. In all the websites and programs I write I do all
the SQL by hand (ORM kind of scare me - when it looks too much like
magic I get really, really suspicious) - so I would be particularly
useless for ORM stuff.

Casey, I found a branch of Django development that uses SqlAlchemy.
http://code.google.com/p/django-sqlalchemy/

It may be possible for everyone to collaborate and get everything with
the databases working with SqlAlchemy, then split and create the rest
using their preferred framework. Might cause enough headaches to
completely ruin the whole reason to use Django, though.

el lauwer

May 3, 2009, 1:09:46 AM5/3/09
to pygame...@seul.org
Oi,

1st: I knowledge in, anf prefere Django
@nd: I will be working on the camera module for osx as part
of gsoc so I won't be having a lot of time. But I will have time
to review code and test security XSS, XSRF.