[pygame] pygame for S60

Jussi Toivola

Dec 20, 2008, 5:21:40 AM12/20/08
to pygame...@seul.org
Hello,
I'm Jussi Toivola ( aka GameDude at Nokia Forums ). I have been
developing a port of pygame for Nokia's S60 3rd edition mobile phones.

See the announcement here:
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152969

The port is already usable, but a couple of critical features are
still missing such as font rendering and extended image support(.bmp
images only). The latest addition is OGG\Vorbis audio support.
Feedback is welcome :)

PS: When I decided that nick, I didn't have any plans to create a
pygame port at the time so it's a pure coincidence :)

Dan Krol

Dec 20, 2008, 8:07:11 AM12/20/08
to pygame...@seul.org
So any games that work for a PC would work for for the S60 "for free"?
Or are there any special considerations when developing for it?

Either way, great to know, thanks!

Jussi Toivola

Dec 20, 2008, 10:32:53 AM12/20/08
to pygame...@seul.org
At least keyboard input handling and small and different screen
resolutions of the phones must be taken into account. I have tested a
couple of the samples provided with the pygame and those were the main
issues. And PyS60 is based on python 2.2, but that should change very
soon. This would be a good topic for a wiki article.

Currently I'm working on getting the remaining basic modules running(
font and ext. image ). Music streaming has some issues too.

2008/12/20 Dan Krol <orbl...@gmail.com>:

--
____________________
Jussi Toivola

Jussi Toivola

Dec 21, 2008, 10:15:26 AM12/21/08
to pygame...@seul.org
TTF font support implemented! Now it is complete enough to start
creating some cool apps with it :)

Get the latest here:
http://jtoivola.googlepages.com/pygame_20081221_signed.sisx

PS: If you have a phone with touch screen, pygame supports it already.
At least emulator does. I wish I had one of those so I could try it
out.

2008/12/20 Jussi Toivola <jtoi...@gmail.com>:

--
____________________
Jussi Toivola

andrew baker

Dec 21, 2008, 2:15:21 PM12/21/08
to pygame...@seul.org
I just wanted to comment on how cool this project is. Thanks for working on it.

--
Andrew Ulysses Baker
"failrate"

Studying is not for achieving promotions or improving your
circumstances. Studying teaches us how to enjoy life, where to begin
and end things and how to behave in between. - Horiyoshi III

René Dudfield

Dec 21, 2008, 4:19:12 PM12/21/08
to pygame...@seul.org
Nice one!

Do you have a picture of some pygame example running on the phone?
That would be good to put on the websites news section :)

ps. a svn account has been sent to you now... so feel free to start a
branch when you're ready :)

Jussi Toivola

Dec 22, 2008, 8:29:45 AM12/22/08
to pygame...@seul.org
> I just wanted to comment on how cool this project is. Thanks for working on it.
Thank you. I appreciate that :)

>Do you have a picture of some pygame example running on the phone?
>That would be good to put on the websites news section :)

Nothing worth showing yet. But I'm working on an application launcher
and a snake game. Hopefully soon.

>ps. a svn account has been sent to you now... so feel free to start a
>branch when you're ready :)

Thanks :)

2008/12/21 René Dudfield <ren...@gmail.com>:

--
____________________
Jussi Toivola

niki

Dec 22, 2008, 8:41:33 AM12/22/08
to pygame...@seul.org
Jussi Toivola wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm Jussi Toivola ( aka GameDude at Nokia Forums ). I have been
> developing a port of pygame for Nokia's S60 3rd edition mobile phones.

Any chance to make it work on S60 2nd edition?

regards,
Niki

Jussi Toivola

Dec 22, 2008, 12:05:58 PM12/22/08
to pygame...@seul.org
No I don't think so unfortunately. The S60 SDL port is for 3rd edition only.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/mertama/sdl.html

Actually most of the work is done for SDL, not pygame. Adding some new
feature has been a matter of adding a new extension(SDL_Mixer,SDL_ttf)
for S60 SDL and enabling it in pygame. Only a few times there have
been any need to modify pygame itself. Porting pygame has been
refreshingly easy so far :)

2008/12/22 niki <ni...@vintech.bg>:

--
Jussi Toivola