contribute to pygame... Some fun projects to do for pygame 1.9. was Re: [pygame] Bundling Pygame documents

René Dudfield

Jan 6, 2009, 3:22:59 AM1/6/09
to pygame...@seul.org
Hello!

there's a bunch of projects to work on here for pygame 1.9.

http://www.pygame.org/wiki/todo

Email back here if you feel like working on any of these things, or
something else for pygame 1.9 release.

cu,

- pygame.Camera - Video for windows version of
- Remove pyobjc dependency on macosx
- OSX Scrap clipboard
- pygame.Camera with quicktime on macosx
- fix up for py3k
- fastevent as default event module
- Keyword method signatures
- pygame.tests and pygame.examples
- Complete tests for all untested things.
- pygame.midi - include portmidi bindings
- Mark Numeric as depreciated, even more explicitly.
- New SDL 1.2.x release.
- pygame reloaded

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Lenard Lindstrom <le...@telus.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If the Pygame documents are to be included as part of the Pygame
> installation is there any reason to continue producing document bundles? And
> who is taking responsibility for modifying setup.py to add the documents and
> examples? If it is not on anyone's schedule the I will have a look at it.
>
> Lenard
>
> --
> Lenard Lindstrom
> <le...@telus.net>

Nirav Patel

Jan 6, 2009, 11:08:53 AM1/6/09
to pygame...@seul.org
Writing the video for windows version of the camera module is on my
(rather long) todo list, but if anyone wants to do it, I'd be happy to
help out. I don't have anything running OS X, but I'm willing to help
anyone who wants to take that on. I also have a half written camera
usage tutorial that I'll finish before 1.9.

Nirav

Brian Fisher

Jan 6, 2009, 11:35:00 AM1/6/09
to pygame...@seul.org
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:22 AM, René Dudfield <ren...@gmail.com> wrote:
- Remove pyobjc dependency on macosx

I've been looking at removing pyobjc dependency a bit, but like Nirav, I don't want to being on my to do list to stop anybody else who has wanted to contribute to that from doing so.

Basically, it looks to me like it ought to be fairly straightforward to add a .m (objective-C) source file to the pygame sources that will be compiled in only for Mac, and that it would just replace what is in the macosx.py or whatever file that uses pyobjc now. I don't know exactly how to do any of that, but I've been looking at the pyobjc sources for a bit of reference.

If anybody else wants to help with that, I'd be happy to sync up.

pymike

Jan 7, 2009, 12:10:17 PM1/7/09
to pygame...@seul.org
I dig the rewriting pygame site in python part. It'd also need a new fresh theme (that green... arg! my eyes!). Would it be written in Django? I've been fiddling around with CherryPy (cherrypy.org), and it's quite awesome. (See pymike.pynguins.com) If you wrote it in CherryPy, I'm pretty sure I could help some.

Cheers!
--
- pymike
"Python eggs me on."

René Dudfield

Jan 12, 2009, 12:23:07 AM1/12/09
to pygame...@seul.org
hi,

cool :) I was hoping that you could get to it at some point. I also
have a long pygame todo list :)

However I did do a little more research... and found this link:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=35

It uses video for windows to read from an avi, and write to a memory
buffer - and then send that to an opengl texture. So not exactly what
we need, but close I think.

If you want, we could meet on irc for a few hours one weekend to code
it together?

cheers,

René Dudfield

Jan 12, 2009, 12:36:44 AM1/12/09
to pygame...@seul.org
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:10 AM, pymike <pymi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dig the rewriting pygame site in python part. It'd also need a new fresh
> theme (that green... arg! my eyes!). Would it be written in Django? I've
> been fiddling around with CherryPy (cherrypy.org), and it's quite awesome.
> (See pymike.pynguins.com) If you wrote it in CherryPy, I'm pretty sure I
> could help some.
>
> Cheers!

Yeah, cherrypy is quite nice. I use it a lot myself... I think it
would be a good tool to use. Not so interested in using django.

I think the method would be to rewrite parts of the existing site,
trying to keep the existing functionality... writing tests for it as
we go.

Once the existing functionality has been implemented, then we can
start adding new stuff.

Alternatively, it might be possible to just replace parts of the php
based website to start with, as we change functionality. eg, we could
replace just the front page to start with, but leave the rest of the
pages php in the beginning.

cheers,

René Dudfield

Jan 12, 2009, 12:40:00 AM1/12/09
to pygame...@seul.org

Indeed. It might be a good idea to try and remove as much of the
macosx.py that is there as possible... then try and add in what you
need until it is working.

cheers,

Brian Fisher

Jan 12, 2009, 2:08:37 AM1/12/09
to pygame...@seul.org
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:40 PM, René Dudfield <ren...@gmail.com> wrote:
Indeed.  It might be a good idea to try and remove as much of the
macosx.py that is there as possible... then try and add in what you
need until it is working.

I tried that ages ago - basically just hoping everything pyobjc had been used for had all been made obsolete with SDL revisions or something - but it seems that every bit of functionality of macosx.py is needed... it all basically stems from the same core issue though, that SDL was designed to own the startup of your program and call your SDL_main routine. But nothing too hard to replace with objective-C I'm sure.

René Dudfield

Jan 12, 2009, 3:30:36 AM1/12/09
to pygame...@seul.org
ok, cool.

Lenard Lindstrom

Jan 12, 2009, 3:34:11 AM1/12/09
to pygame...@seul.org
Will site development go into SVN as a pygame branch?

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<le...@telus.net>

René Dudfield

Jan 12, 2009, 4:00:22 AM1/12/09
to pygame...@seul.org

Yeah, I think it could go in as a branch. Or maybe in a separate svn
somewhere (like google code). Definitely a publically accessable
repository somewhere, so it's easy for people to contribute. Maybe
pygame.website ;)

It would be good to make use of pygame to make the pygame website too.

Lenard Lindstrom

Jan 12, 2009, 2:02:36 PM1/12/09
to pygame...@seul.org
René Dudfield wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Lenard Lindstrom <le...@telus.net> wrote:
>
>> René Dudfield wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:10 AM, pymike <pymi...@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Yeah, cherrypy is quite nice. I use it a lot myself... I think it
>>> would be a good tool to use. Not so interested in using django.

[snip]

>> Will site development go into SVN as a pygame branch?
>>
>> --
>> Lenard Lindstrom
>> <le...@telus.net>
>>

> Yeah, I think it could go in as a branch. Or maybe in a separate svn
> somewhere (like google code). Definitely a publically accessable
> repository somewhere, so it's easy for people to contribute. Maybe
> pygame.website ;)
>
> It would be good to make use of pygame to make the pygame website too.

It would be great using the new server as a Pygame demonstration. No
real time stuff, but maybe a background image that changes daily. I'm
surprise the CherryPy site isn't a blatant advertisement of CherryPy in
action, unless trac is built upon CherryPy.

With the redesign of the site, maybe it's time to update the HTML in the
docs, make it strict XHTML. The style sheet would be compatible with
that of the new site.

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<le...@telus.net>