Draft "Call for Participation"

Chalmer Lowe

Nov 23, 2013, 9:59:52 PM11/23/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Naomi/Jessica:

Below is a draft 'call for participation' announcement for posting to the PyCon website. It is heavily based on what Naomi produced last year, with a few items rearranged, a few items added and a few items dropped. The original write-up was really well done, so I felt it would be a shame to waste it. There are two places where we would need to add email addresses/links. These have been noted in the body of the text with <link> or <email>.

I am totally receptive to comments and critique. Anxious to hear from you both. NOTE: A similar write-up focused on our 'call for presentations' to follow.

Python Education Summit

In 2014, PyCon will be holding its second annual Python Education Summit. The Summit is an invitation-only gathering of teachers and educators focused on bringing coding literacy, through Python, to as broad a group of audiences, as possible. We invite educators from all venues to consider joining the discussion, share insights, learn new techniques and tools and generally share their passion for education. We are looking for educators from many venues: authors; schools, colleges, universities; community-based workshops; online programs; and government.

Goals

The goal of the Summit is to bring together leaders from multiple educational venues to learn more about each other's efforts and gain useful insight from them, to form connections that might foster future collaboration, to identify common issues and begin discussing ways to attack them, and to create an enhanced sense of unity, purpose and community among teachers of Python, wherever they might be. It is our hope that the Summit will serve as catalyst leading into the rest of PyCon to encourage even more interaction - hallway discussions, open spaces, lightning talks, and sprints.

Anyone attending this conference will gain a broader understanding of approaches, issues, resources and constraints in teaching Python, will have the opportunity to contribute to the discussion, and will make contacts with other teachers of Python from across the community. A high school teacher might make contacts that allow her to enlist the support of a community-based program while a community volunteer might gain useful guidance on curriculum design.

Schedule and Format

The Education Summit takes place on Thursday, April 10th, the day before the main tracks of PyCon begin, so that summit attendees will be able to attend all of the regular talks.

The Summit is scheduled to run all day, from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, with breaks in the morning and afternoon and one hour for lunch. The content and agenda are being finalized and a call for presentations <link> is currently open. We anticipate a keynote presentation, several tracks, plenty of open discussion and a round of lightning talks.

What to expect?

We encourage all attendees to engage in the dialogue. While there will be plenty of presentations and examples of teaching techniques and tools, we are anxious to hear your questions, see your ideas and experience your passion for education and Python. So please come willing to learn, to participate and most importantly, to teach.

Naomi Ceder

Nov 23, 2013, 10:40:13 PM11/23/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, Chalmer! I'll get some reactions back to you tomorrow. Thanks so much for doing this!

Cheers,
Naomi

--

---

Naomi Ceder
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111396744045017339164/about

Naomi Ceder

Nov 26, 2013, 7:16:15 PM11/26/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chalmer,

I've looked over this and I like it pretty much as is. About the only correction I have is to my name - 'ceder' instead of 'cedar' (yeah, people have been missing that one all of my life... ;) )

Otherwise, I think it's good to go once we get the call for presentations in place.

Again, thank you so much for doing this!

Cheers,
Naomi

Chalmer Lowe

Dec 1, 2013, 3:47:14 PM12/1/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Naomi:

Thanks for the feedback. Next step sounds like we need to get this material posted - the sooner the better (with the appropriate edits to your name) and the addition of email and URL links.

I would be happy to reach out to the appropriate parties to see about getting this material added to the PyCon website. Suggestions?

chalmer

Naomi Ceder

Dec 1, 2013, 4:01:41 PM12/1/13
to pycon-educa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chalmer...

I'll try to get this added tonight... right now the summit page isn't showing on the site navigation, so I'll ping them about making sure that works.

Cheers,
Naomi