pure-sockets 0.3 and clang

Ryan Schmidt

Apr 28, 2011, 8:05:51 PM4/28/11
to pure...@googlegroups.com
The pure-sockets 0.3 README says:

> This package uses Pure's new bitcode loader to ease porting, so you'll need
> Pure 0.45 or later and an LLVM-based C compiler installed. The Makefile is set
> up for clang (http://clang.llvm.org/) by default, because it's easier to
> install, but you can also use llvm-gcc if you set the CC make variable
> accordingly.

But the Makefile has no mention of clang or llvm-gcc.

pure-sockets 0.2's Makefile did use clang, and had commented-out options for llvm-gcc.

Did the clang / llvm-gcc requirement go away with version 0.3? It seems to compile fine for me with Mac OS X's usual gcc 4.2. Does the README need an update?

Albert Graef

Apr 30, 2011, 6:33:03 AM4/30/11
to pure...@googlegroups.com
On 04/29/2011 02:05 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> The pure-sockets 0.3 README says:
>
>> This package uses Pure's new bitcode loader to ease porting, so you'll need
>> Pure 0.45 or later and an LLVM-based C compiler installed. The Makefile is set
>> up for clang (http://clang.llvm.org/) by default, because it's easier to
>> install, but you can also use llvm-gcc if you set the CC make variable
>> accordingly.
>
> But the Makefile has no mention of clang or llvm-gcc.

Oops, it looks like an old README slipped into that tarball. I fixed
that now. Get the latest one from:

http://pure-lang.googlecode.com/files/pure-sockets-0.3.tar.gz

(Same sources as before, only the README has been updated.)

> Did the clang / llvm-gcc requirement go away with version 0.3?

Yes, the module is now built as a shared library like the others. clang
or llvm-gcc isn't required any more.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany

Albert Graef

Apr 30, 2011, 7:07:19 AM4/30/11
to pure...@googlegroups.com
On 04/30/2011 12:33 PM, Albert Graef wrote:
> Oops, it looks like an old README slipped into that tarball. I fixed
> that now. Get the latest one from:
>
> http://pure-lang.googlecode.com/files/pure-sockets-0.3.tar.gz

Some glitches in the Makefile have been fixed as well, per
http://code.google.com/p/pure-lang/issues/detail?id=57.

Albert Graef

Apr 30, 2011, 8:08:37 AM4/30/11
to pure...@googlegroups.com
On 04/30/2011 01:07 PM, Albert Graef wrote:
> On 04/30/2011 12:33 PM, Albert Graef wrote:
>> Oops, it looks like an old README slipped into that tarball. I fixed
>> that now. Get the latest one from:
>>
>> http://pure-lang.googlecode.com/files/pure-sockets-0.3.tar.gz
>
> Some glitches in the Makefile have been fixed as well, per
> http://code.google.com/p/pure-lang/issues/detail?id=57.

It seems that GC doesn't let me update the tarball once again, so I just
bumped the version number and uploaded a new one:

http://pure-lang.googlecode.com/files/pure-sockets-0.4.tar.gz