Relative manpage symlink

Ryan Schmidt

Feb 1, 2009, 6:25:06 AM2/1/09
to pure...@googlegroups.com
In ${prefix}/share/man/man1, pure installs pure.1 as a symlink to
pure-${version}.1. This is all fine and good, except that the symlink
uses an absolute path instead of a relative one. You might ask why
that is a problem, and I would explain as follows:

There is a lovely feature in MacPorts which automatically gzips all
ports' manpages. It then goes and looks for any symlinks to manpages
and replaces them with symlinks to the gzipped versions so everything
works.

Well, almost everything. I've just been reminded that pure's symlink
wasn't being replaced for some reason, resulting in "man pure" not
working. Turns out the reason is a bug in MacPorts that only replaces
symlinks that are relative, not absolute.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18294

So now I'm patching pure's Makefile to have it make a relative
symlink instead of an absolute one. I'm sure we'll have the MacPorts
bug fixed soon so that it won't matter, but it occurred to me to send
the patch to you anyway, unless there's a specific reason you were
making the symlink absolute instead of relative.

patch-Makefile.in.diff

Albert Graef

Feb 1, 2009, 7:59:57 AM2/1/09
to pure...@googlegroups.com
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> So now I'm patching pure's Makefile to have it make a relative
> symlink instead of an absolute one.

Applied, thanks!

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany

Albert Graef

Feb 1, 2009, 1:09:22 PM2/1/09
to pure...@googlegroups.com
Albert Graef wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> So now I'm patching pure's Makefile to have it make a relative
>> symlink instead of an absolute one.
>
> Applied, thanks!

Sorry, I had to revert that, it broke 'make install' on Windows. So
you'll have to live with your workaround for now.