Uppercase Class Parameters Don't Work - Is this expected?

Tom Duckering

Oct 27, 2010, 11:23:39 AM10/27/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a few parameterised classes and one wasn't working. It turns out it is because one of the parameters begins with an uppercase character.

It took me a long time to work this out and the syntax error wasn't very helpful in tracking it down.

Error:

err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER: Could not parse for environment production: Syntax error at 'NfsServer'; expected '}' at /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp:47 on node ip-10-234-XXX-XXX.eu-west-1.compute.internal
warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run

Is this behaviour by design, and if so, where in the documentation can I discover this? It wasn't mentioned in the section on parameterised classes or variables.

Hope this helps someone else.

Tom

Peter Meier

Oct 27, 2010, 1:17:35 PM10/27/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
> Is this behaviour by design, and if so, where in the documentation
> can I discover this? It wasn't mentioned in the section on
> parameterised classes or variables.

Some of the errors are documented here:

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Puppet+Syntax+Errors

to help people in such cases. Furthermore, if you file a feature request
to improve the error reporting in your case, it will probably get
improved in future versions.

~pete

Nigel Kersten

Oct 27, 2010, 1:38:13 PM10/27/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, wade.p...@sunwave.net
+wade who had a similar issue in another email.

I just filed https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/5119 to try and adress these issues.

We've actually just hired a tech writer who will be starting in a couple of weeks, so please everyone file documentation bugs, it would be immensely helpful.

Daniel Pittman

Oct 27, 2010, 8:37:25 PM10/27/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

One of our sysadmins recently hit that uppercase tags in StoreConfig didn't
work, but lowercase did. I never got around to finding out if this was a
PostgreSQL specific oddity in storeconfig or an actual restriction of the
tool, but while we are in the area...

Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman ✉ dan...@rimspace.net+61 401 155 707