puppetmaster SQL failing

Eric Gerlach

Dec 1, 2009, 4:25:49 PM12/1/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just upgraded from 0.24.8 to 0.25.1. I've run into the following problem.
After a while, my puppetmaster fails with this type of error:

info: Expiring the node cache of gold.fs.uwaterloo.ca
info: Not using expired node for gold.fs.uwaterloo.ca from cache; expired at Tue Dec 01 16:07:47 -0500 2009
debug: Using cached facts for gold.fs.uwaterloo.ca
info: Caching node for gold.fs.uwaterloo.ca
info: Expiring the node cache of monitor.fs.uwaterloo.ca
debug: Scope(Class[network]): Retrieving template network/interfaces.erb
debug: template[/srv/puppet/modules/network/templates/interfaces.erb]: Bound template variables for /srv/puppet/modules/network/templates/interfaces.erb in 0.00 seconds
debug: template[/srv/puppet/modules/network/templates/interfaces.erb]: Interpolated template /srv/puppet/modules/network/templates/interfaces.erb in 0.00 seconds
debug: Scope(Class[postfix]): Retrieving template postfix/main.cf.erb
debug: template[/srv/puppet/modules/postfix/templates/main.cf.erb]: Bound template variables for /srv/puppet/modules/postfix/templates/main.cf.erb in 0.00 seconds
debug: template[/srv/puppet/modules/postfix/templates/main.cf.erb]: Interpolated template /srv/puppet/modules/postfix/templates/main.cf.erb in 0.00 seconds
err: Puppet::Parser::Compiler failed with error ActiveRecord::MissingAttributeError: missing attribute: restype on node gold.fs.uwaterloo.ca
err: Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query: SELECT * FROM `fact_names` WHERE (`fact_names`.`name` = 'kernelrelease') LIMIT 1
err: Puppet::Parser::Compiler failed with error ActiveRecord::MissingAttributeError: missing attribute: restype on node gold.fs.uwaterloo.ca

And then never sends out a catalog again. Any ideas?

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students

Eric Gerlach

Dec 1, 2009, 6:56:47 PM12/1/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
In case it helps, it seems to happen when two clients are trying to talk to the
puppetmaster simultaneously. I can't confirm that conclusively, but that seems
to be the case.

Cheers,

Eric

Ohad Levy

Dec 1, 2009, 8:23:09 PM12/1/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Which version of rails are you using? I kind of remember an issue with 2.1 and multiple connections

Ohad

Eric Gerlach

Dec 2, 2009, 12:21:04 PM12/2/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I already thanked Ohad on IRC, but wanted to let the annals of history know
that he was right.

Cheers,

Eric