version Control question

Jeff Leggett

May 21, 2008, 5:48:16 PM5/21/08
to Puppet Users
This page: http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/VersionControlPuppet
says "The puppetmaster automatically detects that its configuration
files have changed. " but HOW? Don't I need to define a [global]
~/.subversion/servers section for that user? (And since the puppet
user only exists in the local /etc/passwd, /etc/group to facilitate
running the puppetmasterd as puppet, that's out.)

I checked all my stuff from /opt/etrade/p6/puppet into subversion, now
I work on it all in a ~/work/puppet directory then check it back
in.... When I go to update the main directory I get:

[jleggett@lxp6d4m3 p6]$ svn co http://svn.etrade.com/svn/etrade_code/jleggett/puppet/trunk/
puppet/
svn: Failed to add directory 'puppet/log': object of the same name
already exists

I have never seen that error before.

AJ

May 21, 2008, 10:07:12 PM5/21/08
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Use Git

Regards,

AJ

David Schmitt

May 22, 2008, 2:35:08 AM5/22/08
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Leggett

May 22, 2008, 12:22:26 PM5/22/08
to Puppet Users
I must be being obtuse today... How can the puppetmasterd process know
the files in subversion changed, without having the ability to logging
to subversion?

And no, using GIT is not an option - we have a HUGE subversion
infrastracture. I wish someone would move all the puppet stuff out of
git and into subversion as well... I have many more things to do than
figure out yet another SCM, and get it working past a proxy, etc.
> - --http://www.schierer.org/~luke/log/20070710-1129/on-forks-and-forking

Felix Schäfer

May 22, 2008, 12:28:14 PM5/22/08
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Am 22.05.2008 um 18:22 schrieb Jeff Leggett:

> I must be being obtuse today... How can the puppetmasterd process know
> the files in subversion changed, without having the ability to logging
> to subversion?

If I understand you correctly, you have the wrong assumption here:
puppet only knows about file changes at the local filesystem level.
Puppet is _not_ integrated with any kind of scm, it is your job to
check out your manifests, modules, etc on the puppetmaster machine,
but you do not have to restart puppetmasterd, as it will notice file
changes.

Greets,

Felix Schäfer

James Turnbull

May 22, 2008, 12:30:07 PM5/22/08
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Jeff Leggett wrote:
> I must be being obtuse today... How can the puppetmasterd process know
> the files in subversion changed, without having the ability to logging
> to subversion?

It doesn't know about the repo - that page assumes you've checked out
your manifests to /etc/puppet/manifests or the like. The master does
know however about changes made to the manifest directory, modules, etc.
It detects file changes and then reloads the manifests.

Regards

James Turnbull

--
James Turnbull (ja...@lovedthanlost.net)

Author of:
* Pulling Strings with Puppet
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590599780/)
* Pro Nagios 2.0
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590596099/)
* Hardening Linux
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590594444/)

signature.asc

Helmut Lichtenberg

May 23, 2008, 2:35:35 AM5/23/08
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

I use plain old cvs and have the following simple setup:

1. If someone of the admins commits any changes to his local cvs
working-directory of puppet, an on-commit trigger is invoked. I just put
this line into CVSROOT/loginfo:
^puppet (mail -s '[CVS puppet] %s' adm...@mydom.de; /usr/local/sbin/notify_puppet)

2. This triggers the script /usr/local/sbin/notify_puppet (see attachment) on
the cvs server (which happens to be my puppetmaster server :^).

3. notify_puppet just cvs-updates all the changed files in /etc/puppet on the
puppetmaster. /etc/puppet is of course also the local checked out
cvs-module puppet.

4. Additionally you can watch some files in /etc/puppet (e.g.
manifests/site.pp) by puppetd itselfs to restart puppetmasterd in case of
changes.

Regards
Helmut

Helmut Lichtenberg <Helmut.Li...@fli.bund.de> Tel.: 05034/871-128
Institut für Nutztiergenetik (FLI) 31535 Neustadt Germany

notify_puppet

Russell Jackson

May 23, 2008, 2:11:49 PM5/23/08
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

I agree that git is all that and a bag of chips, but some of us need to let other admins
--that already have enough trouble understanding Subversion or CVS as it is-- make changes
to configuration files. I'm afraid that git would simply cause their heads to explode.

In this situation Subversion is a better fit especially in combination with TortoiseSVN
for the Windows admins.

--
Russell A. Jackson <r...@csub.edu>
Network Analyst

Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #52:

Q: What is your name?
A: Ernestine McDowell.
Q: And what is your marital status?
A: Fair.