Windows support roadmap

Paul Nasrat

Oct 3, 2009, 8:55:01 AM10/3/09
to puppe...@googlegroups.com, puppet-users
It was good to see some interest in the windows support, I'm trying to
co-ordinate us getting to a coherent release of providers and ensuring
the core is platform independent. Something at a high level like:

Feature - JBoss install
Given a standard Windows 2003 server install
When puppetd client runs against a master with a jboss manifest
Then a JBoss user should exist,
And JDK should be installed
And JBoss should be installed
And JBoss should be running as a service

Interesting thought was running puppet on IronRuby,

Paul

Julian Simpson

Oct 3, 2009, 10:01:16 AM10/3/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I think the smart money would be on Iron Ruby, as there's a wealth of
C# code for systems admin. There's a ton of info on how to
programatically configure IIS6,7,8 via C#/VB. The prevalent
automation language seems to be VB in the Windows world.

The other option is PowerShell. Not sure about bindings for that, but
I'll ask a windows guy I know if you like.

J.
--
Julian Simpson
Software Build and Deployment