Run Stages

Douglas Garstang

Oct 8, 2010, 3:13:45 PM10/8/10
to Puppet Users
Has anyone got an example of run stages they could post?

As per the release notes at http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Release_Notes, the description is _really_ unclear, and putting

class yum { ... }
class redhat {
   class { yum: stage => pre
}

in your code causes puppet to complain:

Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER: Puppet::Parser::AST::Resource failed with error ArgumentError: Invalid resource type class at ...

Doug.

Ryan Y. Coleman

Oct 8, 2010, 3:27:34 PM10/8/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I wrote up a blog post the other day of what I'm using at Penn State. Once I'm more comfortable with stages, my plan is to help enhance the existing stage documentation. They're great!

Hope this helps.. --Ryan

http://www.personal.psu.edu/ryc108/blogs/puppetmaster/2010/10/automating-shibboleth-idp-builds-using-stages.html

> Has anyone got an example of run stages they could post?
>

> As per the release notes at

> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Release_Notes , the

> description is _really_ unclear, and putting
>

> class yum { ... }
> class redhat {
> class { yum: stage => pre
> }
>

> in your code causes puppet to complain:
>

> Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
> Puppet::Parser::AST::Resource failed with error ArgumentError: Invalid
> resource type class at ...
>

> Doug.

Douglas Garstang

Oct 8, 2010, 3:35:52 PM10/8/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Ryan Y. Coleman <dude...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wrote up a blog post the other day of what I'm using at Penn State. Once I'm more comfortable with stages, my plan is to help enhance the existing stage documentation. They're great!

Hope this helps.. --Ryan

http://www.personal.psu.edu/ryc108/blogs/puppetmaster/2010/10/automating-shibboleth-idp-builds-using-stages.html

Thanks Ryan. I must be missing something pretty fundamental, because when I do:

class { "yum::client": stage => repo }

puppet complains:
Duplicate definition: Class[Yum::Client] is already defined; cannot redefine

which, really isn't a surprise, because yum::client _IS_ already defined!

Doug.

--
Regards,

Douglas Garstang
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garstang
Email: doug.g...@gmail.com
Cell: +1-805-340-5627

Ryan Y. Coleman

Oct 8, 2010, 3:44:40 PM10/8/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

> Thanks Ryan. I must be missing something pretty fundamental, because
> when I do:
>

> class { "yum::client": stage => repo }

Are you setting this within your node definition?

Like:

node "foo.example.com" {
include class-that-includes-stages

> --
> Regards,
>
> Douglas Garstang
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/garstang
> Email: doug.g...@gmail.com
> Cell: +1-805-340-5627

Douglas Garstang

Oct 8, 2010, 5:45:43 PM10/8/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Ryan Y. Coleman <dude...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ryan. I must be missing something pretty fundamental, because
> when I do:
>

> class { "yum::client": stage => repo }

Are you setting this within your node definition?

Like:

node "foo.example.com" {
  include class-that-includes-stages
  class { "yum::client": stage => repo }
}

Ryan,

Got it working, thanks.

However, something else is wrong. I have this:

class runstages::common {
    stage { yum: before => Stage[main] }
}

class { "yum::common": stage => yum }

and puppet just tried to install RPM's right off the bat, before the yum::common class was implemented. It would seem that run stages are not working at all.

Doug.

Ryan Y. Coleman

Oct 8, 2010, 6:10:58 PM10/8/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

It's hard for me to help you when I don't see the full picture of what you're trying to implement.

Take a look at my example again. I would suggest you create a dummy class that contains the stage resources you'd like for the node you'd like to be configured.

Then, in your node definition, include the dummy class and then the class {} definitions that assign other clases to your stages.

If that doesn't work, please let us know what your node definition looks like as well as the dummy class containing you stage resources.

I hope I'm not making this more confusing..

--Ryan

> Doug.

Mohit Chawla

Oct 9, 2010, 6:24:36 AM10/9/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
In case this helps: ( this is the only way I use stages,  its probably possible to extend on this using normal manifests and include them, instead of using site.pp)

*site.pp*

import "nodes"
stage {pre: before=>Stage["main"]}

*nodes.pp*

node "foo.com"{
  class {aptupdate: stage=>pre}
  include webserver
 }

*aptupdate/init.pp*

class aptupdate {
 exec {"apt update":
         path => "/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin",
         command => "apt-get update",
  }
 }