ANNOUNCE: Puppet 0.24.8 now available!

James Turnbull

Mar 23, 2009, 7:47:00 AM3/23/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, puppe...@googlegroups.com, puppet-...@googlegroups.com

Puppet 0.24.8 is now available!

This is a maintenance release for the 0.24.x branch but contains a small
number of new features including some significant performance
enhancements for large installations and stored configurations.

The tarball is available at:

http://reductivelabs.com/downloads/puppet/puppet-0.24.8.tgz

MD5 hash:

http://reductivelabs.com/downloads/puppet/puppet-0.24.8.tgz.md5

The gem at:

http://reductivelabs.com/downloads/puppet/puppet-0.24.8.gem

Or via the Redmine site:

http://projects.reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet/files

CHANGELOG

New features

Enhancements to file serving, module and stored configuration
performance

Enhancements and fixes to Nagios support

Support for Augeas 0.3.6 and 0.4 and fixes to a number of Augeas issues

Provide dscl -url output support for OS X 10.4 clients using the
directoryservice provider.

Fix launchd service provider so it is backwards compatible with OS X
10.4

Fixed #1831 - Added sprintf function

Fixed #1830 - Added regsubst function

Fixed #1829 - Add puppet function versioncmp to compare versions

Added ext/dbfix.sql script - fixes common errors in stored
configuration databases

Major fixes:

Fixed #1629 - A refactoring of ssh_authorized_key parsed provider

Fixed #2004 - ssh_authorized_key fails if no target is defined

Fixed #1631 - adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to PATH

Fixed #961 - puppetd creating too many/not closing TCP connections

Fixed #1922 - Functions squash all arguments into a single hash

Fixed #1852 - Correct behaviour when no SELinux bindings

Fixed #1963 - Failing to read /proc/mounts for selinux kills file
downloads

Other fixes:

Fixed incorrect detail variable in OSX check and ralsh on OSX

Fixed #2000 - No default specified for checksum

Fixed #2026 - Red Hat ignoring stop method

Fixed #2025 - gentoo service provider handle only default init level

Fixed #1910 - updated logcheck

Fixed #1871 - Sensitive information leaked in log reports

Fixed #1956 - Cleaned up variable names to be more sane

Updated up2date and service confines to add support for Oracle EL

Fixing #1948 and #1953 - augeas ins bug: wrong number of arguments

Fixing #944 - changing error message from warning to info -

Fixed #1959 - Added column protection for environment schema

Fixing #1869 - autoloaded files should never leak exceptions

Fixing #1543 - Nagios parse errors no longer kill Puppet

Fixed #1420 - nagios_serviceescalation not allowing host_name more
than one type

Fixed #1884 - Exported resources are marked as unexported when
collected on the exporting host

Fixed #1538 - Yumrepo sets permissions wrongly on files in
/etc/yum.repos.d

Fixed #1936 - Added /* */ support to the vim file

Fixed #1541 - nagios objects write files to clientbucket on every
change

Fixed #1542 - cannot purge nagios objects

Fixing #1912 - gid still works with no 'should' value fixing ralsh
issues

Fixed #1920 - Shadow password corruption

Regards

James Turnbull

- --
Author of:
* Pulling Strings with Puppet
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590599780/)
* Pro Nagios 2.0
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590596099/)
* Hardening Linux
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590594444/)

Todd Zullinger

Mar 23, 2009, 1:43:54 PM3/23/09
to puppe...@googlegroups.com, puppet...@googlegroups.com
James Turnbull wrote:
> Puppet 0.24.8 is now available!

Congrats and thanks!

For the impatient, I updated the Fedora and EPEL packages¹ at
http://tmz.fedorapeople.org/repo/puppet/. I'll work on getting 0.24.8
into the official repos over the next few days.

¹ No Rawhide/F11 packages yet, as my build box is CentOS 5 and will
need an rpm update to create rawhide/F11 packages. The F10 packages
_may_ work on rawhide/F11. If not, a simple rebuild will suffice.

Most of one's life is one prolonged effort to prevent oneself
thinking.
-- Aldous Huxley

Nigel Kersten

Mar 23, 2009, 1:55:41 PM3/23/09
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Todd Zullinger <t...@pobox.com> wrote:
> James Turnbull wrote:
>> Puppet 0.24.8 is now available!
>
> Congrats and thanks!
>
> For the impatient, I updated the Fedora and EPEL packages¹ at
> http://tmz.fedorapeople.org/repo/puppet/.  I'll work on getting 0.24.8
> into the official repos over the next few days.
>
> ¹ No Rawhide/F11 packages yet, as my build box is CentOS 5 and will
> need an rpm update to create rawhide/F11 packages.  The F10 packages
> _may_ work on rawhide/F11.  If not, a simple rebuild will suffice.

Mac pkg is up at:

https://sites.google.com/a/explanatorygap.net/puppet/

Gary Law

Mar 23, 2009, 7:46:54 PM3/23/09
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
New Solaris packages here:

These are already in the testing repos for OpenCSW and Blastwave, expect them to transition to current and stable in the coming months.

Feedback welcome.

Gary