Provider development, what am I doing wrong ?

Nicolas Szalay

Feb 24, 2010, 7:52:41 AM2/24/10
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've been trying to create a new package provider to support pkgin (see
http://imil.net/pkgin for more about pkgin) as I use it on my Solaris
boxens but I get an error that I don't understand. My code is mainly
taken from the openbsd.rb file.

I still get this error :

err: Could not create uno: Parameter provider failed: Invalid package provider 'pkgin'
warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
warning: Configuration could not be instantiated: Parameter provider failed: Invalid package provider 'pkgin'

The pluginsync works fine and the pkgin.rb file is present on both
client and master (even if I think the master part is not important) but
I can't know if puppet does not find the file or if the file has
something wrong.

pkgin.rb is attached

sample manifest/class :

class tests::pkgin1
{
package { "uno":
provider => pkgin,
ensure => installed
}
}

pkgin.rb
signature.asc

Nicolas Szalay

Feb 25, 2010, 1:10:58 PM2/25/10
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
----- "Nicolas Szalay" <nsz...@qualigaz.com> a écrit :

| Hello,
|
| [...]

Answer to myself : when adding a provider who will reside in a subdir you have to recreate the filesystem hierarchy. Example, when creating a "package" provider you have to place it in "plugins/puppet/provider/package" not in "/plugins/puppet/provider"

Bye,

Nico.

Luke Kanies

Feb 25, 2010, 8:34:39 PM2/25/10
to puppe...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, this one is a common problem, somehow.

Is there something that led you to think the first path was correct?
Maybe there are some docs we can update or something.

--
Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without asking a clear
question. -- Albert Camus

Nicolas Szalay

Feb 26, 2010, 2:29:47 AM2/26/10
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
Le jeudi 25 février 2010 à 17:34 -0800, Luke Kanies a écrit :
> Yeah, this one is a common problem, somehow.
>
> Is there something that led you to think the first path was correct?
> Maybe there are some docs we can update or something.

Nothing let me think it was wrong :) I may have missed something but I
did not see any mention of subdirectories when working on (existing)
types.

Perhaps a little mention about this hierarchical organisation could be
added to wiki/Development/ProviderDevelopment ?

Regards,

Nico.

signature.asc

Nicolas Szalay

Feb 26, 2010, 9:18:46 AM2/26/10
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
Managed to get it working and proposed it in ticket #3304

Nico.

signature.asc