Commercial Urban Farming in Fairmount Park

Roxanne Christensen

Mar 22, 2010, 4:19:08 PM3/22/10
to pu...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone. It looks like the Fairmount Park Farm Business Park is opening for business. Below are some details along with a link to the Request for Information, which will supposedly be available at the end of today. If you’d like more details, please contact Marc Wilken directly. He’s been through a lot of up’s and down’s on getting support for this initiative, but he is not a quitter and a great ally to have. I’m sure he’ll be receptive to any urban farming business plan any of you have.

--Roxanne

Dear Urban Farming Entrepreneurs,

The City of Philadelphia is issuing a Request for Information to gather indications of interest and experience in operating and managing sub-acre commercial, chemical-free farming plots on a City property called Manatawna Farm, located at 100 Spring Lane, Philadelphia, PA 19131. This initiative is intended to foster sustainable, urban agricultural businesses in Philadelphia and further the growth of a regional food system. Additionally this effort is meant to support Mayor Nutter’s food initiative, Philadelphia Food Charter, which calls for the use of City-owned spaces for urban agriculture, and Mayor Nutter’s sustainability plan, Greenworks Philadelphia, which recommends 12 commercial agriculture projects be established in the City by 2015. Please see the attached Letter of Intent for additional information about this program. Applications and instructions for this Request for Information will be posted on the following websites no later than the close of business on Monday, April 22: http://www.phila.gov/rfp/ and http://www.fairmountpark.org.

We look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Marc Wilken
Park Concessions Manager
Fairmount Park
City of Philadelphia
One Parkway, 10th Floor
1515 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
P: 215-683-0232
F: 215-683-0205
marc....@phila.gov

BG

Mar 23, 2010, 11:11:12 AM3/23/10
to Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
I would love to join up with some people to farm a plot or two for the
city! Please contact me if anyone is applying. I don't have enough
experiance to start a project like this but I definatly want in :)
-Beth

On Mar 22, 4:19 pm, Roxanne Christensen

<rchristen...@infocommercegroup.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone. It looks like the Fairmount Park Farm Business Park is opening for business. Below are some details along with a link to the Request for Information, which will supposedly be available at the end of today. If you’d like more details, please contact Marc Wilken directly. He’s been through a lot of up’s and down’s on getting support for this initiative, but he is not a quitter and a great ally to have. I’m sure he’ll be receptive to any urban farming business plan any of you have.
> --Roxanne
>
> Dear Urban Farming Entrepreneurs,
>

> The City of Philadelphia is issuing a Request for Information to gather indications of interest and experience in operating and managing sub-acre commercial, chemical-free farming plots on a City property called Manatawna Farm, located at 100 Spring Lane, Philadelphia, PA 19131. This initiative is intended to foster sustainable, urban agricultural businesses in Philadelphia and further the growth of a regional food system. Additionally this effort is meant to support Mayor Nutter’s food initiative, Philadelphia Food Charter, which calls for the use of City-owned spaces for urban agriculture, and Mayor Nutter’s sustainability plan, Greenworks Philadelphia, which recommends 12 commercial agriculture projects be established in the City by 2015. Please see the attached Letter of Intent for additional information about this program. Applications and instructions for this Request for Information will be posted on the following websites no later than the close of business on Monday, April 22:http://www.phila.gov/rfp/andhttp://www.fairmountpark.org.

> We look forward to hearing from you.
>
> All the best,
> Marc Wilken
> Park Concessions Manager
> Fairmount Park
> City of Philadelphia
> One Parkway, 10th Floor
> 1515 Arch Street
> Philadelphia, PA 19102
> P: 215-683-0232
> F: 215-683-0205

> marc.wil...@phila.gov

J. Mark

Mar 23, 2010, 6:04:56 PM3/23/10
to Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
I'd also love to work with some folks on this. I have a bit of
experience... and some ideas... and plenty of enthusiasm... but no
start-up capital. So if anyone wants help with a project, or just
wants to get a group together and hash one out, please let me know as
well!

BG

Mar 24, 2010, 4:06:54 PM3/24/10
to Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
Hey J,
I'm meeting up with someone from this group on Friday at 2pm at
Sabrina's. If you can make it, it would be great to meet-up and see
what we can do :)
Beth

On Mar 23, 6:04 pm, "J. Mark" <jmarkteb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd also love to work with some folks on this.  I have a bit of
> experience... and some ideas... and plenty of enthusiasm... but no
> start-up capital.  So if anyone wants help with a project, or just
> wants to get a group together and hash one out, please let me know as
> well!

brand...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2010, 12:53:35 PM3/25/10
to Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
Hi J and B,

I'm definitely intersted in taking a closer look at this. My fiance
and I did a sub-acre plot and sold at area markets this past year for
the first time. It went pretty well! We'd definitely be in to
expanding a bit. If you guys don't mind, I'd love to be involved with
your Friday meet-up. Let me know if you that's okay!

--Brandon

mira sophia

Mar 25, 2010, 12:56:06 PM3/25/10
to Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
For the record I am interested too! I wont be available to meet on Friday but I am watching the back and forth on this topic with great interest! If you take this offline I would love to be included in future discussion!

-

Mira Sophia Adornetto

* Report abuse to pufn+...@googlegroups.com

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to pufn+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

--
ṃira

BG

Mar 25, 2010, 3:13:53 PM3/25/10
to Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
Great Brandon! We're meeting at the Sabrina's on Callowhill at 2pm.
Beth
On Mar 25, 12:53 pm, "brandonn...@gmail.com" <brandonn...@gmail.com>

BG

Mar 25, 2010, 3:14:44 PM3/25/10
to Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
Mira:

Right now we about 5 people meeting tomorrow. We'll take some notes
and post them here for you and everyone to see!
Beth

On Mar 25, 12:56 pm, mira sophia <mira.adorne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the record I am interested too! I wont be available to meet on Friday
> but I am watching the back and forth on this topic with great interest! If
> you take this offline I would love to be included in future discussion!
>
> -
>
> Mira Sophia Adornetto
>

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM, brandonn...@gmail.com <

> > pufn+uns...@googlegroups.com <pufn%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>
> > * Report abuse to pufn+...@googlegroups.com<pufn%2Bo...@googlegroups.com>

> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to pufn+

termeh kuklinski

Mar 26, 2010, 8:06:31 AM3/26/10
to nin...@gmail.com, pu...@googlegroups.com
count josh and i in also!  we'll be at sabrina's also!

Termeh Kuklinski

Candidate for MPH - Community Health
BS Public Wellness Strategies & Business
Licensed Esthetician

> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:13:53 -0700
> Subject: [pufn] Re: Commercial Urban Farming in Fairmount Park
> From: nin...@gmail.com
> To: pu...@googlegroups.com
> --
>
> * Report abuse to pufn+...@googlegroups.com
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to pufn+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn More.