Not getting refresh pings

Singpolyma

Jun 9, 2013, 12:38:19 PM6/9/13
to Pubsubhubbub
I have a custom aggregator (written in Ruby) that I have been using
for quite some time now. Nothing has changed in my code (and
subscriptions to status.net users still work), but subscriptions
through the https://pubsubhubbub.appspot.com/ hub are expiring after
the expiry period. I added very verbose logging to the code, and
AFAICT the renewal request is simply not being sent.

Is there maybe something down on the hub? Or has something changed
and I need to do something extra?

I can make the source or my logs or whatever available if it could
help to fix this. Right now I'm considering writing a cronjob to
manually re-subscribe once a week, but that's a terrible hack.

Roman

Jun 10, 2013, 8:02:32 AM6/10/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

The hub-initiated automatic subscription renewals are no longer supported by the Google Hub. It's a breaking change in the 0.4 specification.

The correct way to maintain long-lived subscriptions is to initiate a resubscription request before the previous subscription expires.

Roman.

--

---

Singpolyma

Jun 10, 2013, 10:16:47 AM6/10/13
to Pubsubhubbub
On Jun 10, 7:02 am, Roman <rom...@google.com> wrote:
> The hub-initiated automatic subscription renewals are no longer supported
> by the Google Hub. It's a breaking change in the 0.4 specification.

Oh, so something did change!

> The correct way to maintain long-lived subscriptions is to initiate a
> resubscription request before the previous subscription expires.

Ah... my crazy hack is actually the real solution. Awesome :)

Singpolyma

Jun 10, 2013, 10:29:27 AM6/10/13
to Pubsubhubbub
On Jun 10, 7:02 am, Roman <rom...@google.com> wrote:
> The hub-initiated automatic subscription renewals are no longer supported
> by the Google Hub. It's a breaking change in the 0.4 specification.

The 0.4 spec is not linked to from the official google code page.
Where is the spec hosted?

On further thought: what was the reasoning behind this change? I've
gone back and read some discussions of the changes in this group, and
haven't seen anything about this one specifically.

Is there a good "upgrading your subscriber from 0.3" post somewhere to
tell me what I need to add support for?

Thanks!

Roman

Jun 10, 2013, 10:40:10 AM6/10/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com

It's at https://superfeedr-misc.s3.amazonaws.com/pubsubhubbub-core-0.4.html. It'll become "official" later this month.

On further thought: what was the reasoning behind this change?  I've
gone back and read some discussions of the changes in this group, and
haven't seen anything about this one specifically.

The hub-initiated automatic refresh was prone to accumulating garbage subscriptions on the hubs. It was also giving the subscribers the false sense of robustness. What if the hub is unable to reach you when it tries to refresh your subscription? Will you be OK with that subscription being lost? In practice, the subscribers are usually not OK with that and want to be in control of their subscriptions. Also pretty much any subscriber needs to store all subscriptions in a persistent storage anyway, so it's not too hard to periodically issue resubscription requests for subscriptions that need to be extended.

Is there a good "upgrading your subscriber from 0.3" post somewhere to
tell me what I need to add support for?

Not yet. Although there are several breaking changes in 0.4 (e.g., the absence of 'sync' subscription requests), Google Hub is mostly backwards compatible. The only thing that has actually changed in a potentially-user-breaking-way is the one you noticed -- the hub no longer initiates resubscription requests on its own.

Thanks!

Kireet

Jun 20, 2013, 1:38:31 PM6/20/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
is there a quick cheat sheet of the breaking changes somewhere?

Julien Genestoux

Jun 20, 2013, 3:43:31 PM6/20/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Kireet,

You can find the news version of the spec at https://superfeedr-misc.s3.amazonaws.com/pubsubhubbub-core-0.4.html
You'll see that there are several changes, but I suspect the Google Hub (like Superfeedr's) will keep support for both
version.
The major goal of 0.4 was to add support for any type of data format (not just feeds), but also provide a mechanism which opens up the door for private/protected feeds.

Thanks,

Kireet

Jun 21, 2013, 2:50:12 PM6/21/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link. So in terms on 0.3 compatibility, the main things to be aware of are async subscription verification only and no auto-renewals? Anything else?

Roman

Jun 24, 2013, 8:57:32 AM6/24/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Kireet <kir...@feedly.com> wrote:
Thanks for the link. So in terms on 0.3 compatibility, the main things to be aware of are async subscription verification only and no auto-renewals? Anything else?

I think that's it. In other words, if your subscriber is 0.3 compliant and it doesn't rely on permanent subscriptions or sync verification, you can safely talk to 0.4 hubs.

Roman.