SDMX/RDF trivial question

Boris Villazon Terrazas

Dec 2, 2011, 1:10:39 PM12/2/11
to Publishing Statistical Data
Hi all

Sorry, if my question is trivial.

We had SCOVO as a first vocabulary for statistical data. Then we had
SDMX-RDF [2] , and now we have RDF Data cube [3].
I want to know the relation between SDMX-RDF and RDF Data cube.
Data cube supersedes or covers SDMX-RDF?
I know SCOVO is a deprecated vocabulary, is SDMX-RDF deprecated?

Thanks in advance

Boris

[1] http://sw.joanneum.at/scovo/schema.html
[2] http://publishing-statistical-data.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/specs/src/main/html/index.html
[3] http://publishing-statistical-data.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/specs/src/main/html/cube.html

Ian Dickinson

Dec 2, 2011, 2:18:50 PM12/2/11
to publishing-st...@googlegroups.com
Hi Boris,

On 02/12/11 18:10, Boris Villazon Terrazas wrote:
> We had SCOVO as a first vocabulary for statistical data. Then we had
> SDMX-RDF [2] , and now we have RDF Data cube [3].
> I want to know the relation between SDMX-RDF and RDF Data cube.
> Data cube supersedes or covers SDMX-RDF?
> I know SCOVO is a deprecated vocabulary, is SDMX-RDF deprecated?
DataCube and SDMX-RDF are effectively the same thing. The name DataCube
was chosen because the SDMX consortium weren't happy for the name "SDMX"
to be used for an implementation that didn't cover all of the elements
of the standard. Since there are some quite subtle bits of SDMX that
aren't directly relevant the primary use case of encoding cube-like
statistical data in RDF, it was agreed that a different name should be
used. However, the underlying model and design centre for DataCube is
precisely an RDF encoding of the SDMX approach to statistical data
representation.

> I know SCOVO is a deprecated vocabulary, is SDMX-RDF deprecated?

The name, yes, the basic ideas no. But since SDMX-RDF was never really
published in final form, this hopefully shouldn't cause too many problems.

Hth,
Ian

Ian Dickinson Epimorphics Ltd, Bristol, UK
mailto:i...@epimorphics.com http://www.epimorphics.com
cell: +44-7786-850536 landline: +44-1275-399069
Epimorphics Ltd. is a limited company registered in England
(no. 7016688). Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High St,
Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT, UK

Richard Cyganiak

Dec 4, 2011, 3:30:32 PM12/4/11
to publishing-st...@googlegroups.com
To add a little bit of historic perspective here.

SDMX-RDF started as an effort to translate the SDMX standard to RDF. But SDMX is massive, and many parts of the standard are not really relevant for the kind of web-based data publishing that RDF excels in. So we identified a core of SDMX that seemed most relevant for data publishing, called that core “Data Cube”, and published it separately. We modified the SDMX-RDF work-in-progress so that it uses Data Cube for these core parts, and SDMX-RDF native classes and properties for the other parts of SDMX. But work on SDMX-RDF has been pretty much dormant for the last year, and all efforts have been focused on Data Cube.

Best,
Richard