A quick Sunday morning update from the Public Lab community for everyone!
Event announcements for Vermont, New York, California and Louisiana, new
maps in the archive and introductions to new sites and projects.
1. *Barn Raising open invite. *We sent out a "formal" invite to the Public
Lab barn raising in November. If you missed the email, find
2. *LEAFFEST is next weekend! *For those of you in Vermont (or who want to
travel there), please let Chris Fastie know ASAP if you plan on attending
by registering on the Google
3. *Grassroots Mapping Forum on Breadpig.* If you didn't get the most
current issue of the Grassroots Mapping Forum, it is now available for sale
on Breadpig <http://breadpig.com/products/grassroots-mapping-forum-issue-2>.
4. *Wrap-up of the UMass Amherst open science hardware workshop.* Don Blair
sent an email<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/publiclaboratory/t8WdfSwDG7U>earlier
this week with a wrap-up, photos and information about the newly
formed Pioneer Valley Open Science organization (congrats!).
5. *150 maps in the archive!* I was planning on posting the links for new
maps in this email, but then realized that there are twenty-six new ones,
so I suggest taking a browse through the Public Lab
Great to see maps from new places in Canada, the United States,
Scotland, the Netherlands, Colombia, Slovenia, Greece, Australia and Spain.
6. *Kickstarter Update. *Check out the assembly
a prototype "counter" spectrometer posted this past week.
5.* Balloon mapping workshop in Los Angeles. *Stewart Long will be leading
September 23rd at Machine Project.
6. *New sites and projects.* Two new place pages have been started for
groups that are developing chapters of Public Lab, a big welcome to
Sweden <http://publiclaboratory.org/place/skane-sweden>! Public Lab is also
helping Groundwork New Orleans with a project in the Lower 9th
New Orleans, mapping a corridor called the Green Slice.
7.* Upcoming events in New York City.* A couple of workshops will be taking
place, one about dance and
September 23rd and a workshop on the basics
of balloon photography and map
Parsons the New School for Design on September 28 and 29. Both are
to attend, but you need to register (information on the pages).
8. *New Orleans Water Challenge.* If you are in New Orleans, check out the
call for applications for the 2012 Water
out innovative solutions for how we live with water) from The
Idea Village and the Greater New Orleans Foundation.
9. *Public Lab media. *A PBS MediaShift Idea Lab blog post on
a great case
study on the origins of the Public Lab project
Kickstarter were published this past week.
10. *Public Lab fall cleaning.* Server cleaning that is. Here's an
the new server racks for long-term Public Lab data archiving.
11. *Research notes*
Designing a spectrometer in the 1nm range for
Call it Delta, maybe<http://publiclaboratory.org/notes/astoicof/9-12-2012/call-it-delta-maybe>(posted
If anything was missed, please email the list, post a research note or send
information for inclusion in the next newsletter to
shan...@publiclaboratory.org. Have a great Sunday, Shannon
Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science