Enabling email subscriptions broke my feed

mrangry

Jan 22, 2009, 7:16:37 PM1/22/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - Publicity Tools
I have three feeds burned through Feedburner

http://feeds2.feedburner.com/iamlivid (for blog posts)
http://feeds2.feedburner.com/iamlivid/IWBJ (for podcasts)

The name of the podcast feed was suggested when I burned it, it was
not selected by me.

After enabling email subscriptions on both feeds, the podcast feed no
longer validated. The error reports by feedvalidator.org was:

"feedburner:emailServiceId must be alphanumeric: iamlivid/IWBJ"

I took this to mean that the forward-slash in my podcast feed name was
causing problems, a surprise as this was suggested by feedburner
itself. I thought I would change my feed name and get rid of the "/",
which I did, to:

http://feeds2.feedburner.com/iamlividpodcast (this validated
perfectly so I assumed I had fixed the problem - job done!)

I was then made aware that I would lose all my subscribers to the
previous feed name, which I would prefer not to do. I would prefer to
lose a few email subscribers and disable the email notifications. So
I tried to change the feed name back to it's previous incarnation,
only to get the following error.

"The uri "iamlivid/IWBJ" is already taken. Please choose another."

I assumed it is already taken by me, but checking that feed showed a
404 error, not a redirect as I'd hoped.

All in all, this has been a pretty unsatisfactory experience in the
week I moved the feed across to Google with high hopes.

Is the "/" in feed uri's a known problem for email subscription
services? Or was there something else lurking underneath?

Also, I am I best now simply publicising the new feed uri, as the old
one is lost to me forever?

Many thanks in advance.

mrangry

Jan 23, 2009, 6:46:57 AM1/23/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - Publicity Tools
I notice from browsing the forums there are lots of people with this
same issue.

Is it possible for Matt S or one of the community experts to take a
look (obviously at the issue in general as well as mine)

On Jan 23, 12:16 am, mrangry wrote:
> I have three feeds burned through Feedburner
>
> http://feeds2.feedburner.com/iamlivid(for blog posts)http://feeds2.feedburner.com/iamlivid/IWBJ(for podcasts)

Franklin Tse [Community Expert]

Jan 24, 2009, 10:29:49 PM1/24/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - Publicity Tools
Hello,

The FeedBurner Team is working hard on a way to deal with this in the
migration process. They will make a general announcement when that is
ready. In the meantime, please continue to manage your feeds at
http://www.feedburner.com/. Sorry for any inconvenience and confusion
caused.

mrangry

Jan 25, 2009, 12:58:01 PM1/25/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - Publicity Tools
Franklin, thanks for the response but I'm not sure you read my
comments, or the specifics of my problem. It is not a migration
issue, my migration went fine.

The problem occurred when trying to rename a feed and the previous
feed name now being unavailable as it's "already assigned". I
incurred this problem because my previous feed name (recommended by
Feedburner) caused and invalid RSS feed when I activated the email
subscription service.

Please confirm if this is is of "already assigned" feeds being
investigated by the feedburner team.

Many thanks in advance.