Possibility to add extra NS, because of wrong registrar setup?

ville

Oct 8, 2018, 11:03:23 AM10/8/18
to public-dns-discuss

We were updating our NS to point to Google DNS, but we accidentally put the wrong NS to Google. Can we add NS record to point to the other NS in addition to the right nameservers?

Since it takes forever to update the topdomain is it possible to add extra NS records?

For example:

Domain is point to NS: ns-cloud-e1.googledomains.com

But the real NS is: ns-cloud-c1.googledomains.com

Can we add ns-cloud-e1.googledomains.com to NS records?

Alex Dupuy

Oct 10, 2018, 10:41:01 AM10/10/18
to public-dns-discuss
Adding a name server that does not serve the zone to the NS records will not help, for a number of reasons:
  1. NS records in the DNS simply point to name servers that are supposed to be able to answer queries for the zone. Changes to NS records only affect which name servers may be asked, they do not have any affect on whether the name servers will be able to answer.
  2. Google Public DNS (unlike most other recursive resolvers) is “parent-centric”—meaning that it only uses the name servers that are returned in the referral responses from the parent (TLD) zone name servers, and does not make NS queries to this child zone. So adding “lame” name servers that can't answer queries to the NS record set in your zone won't even affect which name servers Google Public DNS will query—only changes in the TLD name server set affect Google Public DNS.
There are some things you can do:
  1. Update the name servers for your domain listed at your registrar and watch the responses from the TLD registry name servers to see when they start serving the new referral response. When that happens, you can use the flush/refresh features of Google Public DNS, OpenDNS/Umbrella, Verisign Public DNS, and the Cloudflare DNS resolver to update some (but not all) of the large public DNS resolvers.
  2. Temporarily create a duplicate zone in Google Cloud DNS that is served from the “incorrect” name server set. This may not be worth the effort, since most recursive resolvers will keep trying other name servers if they get a REFUSED answer from a name server that is not able to respond to a query.