spamhaus.org - does not with Google DNS

Max Noudelman

Dec 10, 2009, 6:35:52 PM12/10/09
to public-dns-discuss
Hi,
I have problem using zen.spamhaus.org with Google Public DNS. When
mail server check IP with spamhaus realtime ip blocking service google
DNS return non-existent domain.
OpenDNS for example or my ISP DNS server return correcte results.
To use spamhaus with DNS server response should look like in next
example:

2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org internet address = 127.0.0.10
2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org internet address = 127.0.0.4
2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org internet address = 127.0.0.2

Where Google DNS answers:

2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
Server: google-public-dns-b.google.com
Address: 8.8.4.4

*** google-public-dns-b.google.com can't find
2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org: Non-existent dom
ain

So is there any way to use Spamhaus.org with Google DNS servers?

Thanks,
Max.

Prem Ramaswami

Dec 11, 2009, 10:38:16 AM12/11/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
It seems Spamhaus is currently blocking Google Public DNS's open resolvers.  It might make sense for you to contact spamhaus directly.

Thanks,
Prem

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns

=======================
Prem Ramaswami
Product Manager - Google
http://www.google.co.in/internetbus
=======================

Max Noudelman

Dec 11, 2009, 11:41:34 AM12/11/09
to public-dns-discuss
Hi,

First of all - I didn't see any technical contact of Spamhaus.
Second - (or maybe first) I think it's in Google DNS technical team
interest to talk to Spamhaus if they really block forwarder request
from Google DNS service.
Third - I just directed my servers not to talk to Google DNS when they
need to get zen.spamhaus.org DNS zone.

Thanks and Regards,
Max.
> > public-dns-disc...@googlegroups.com<public-dns-discuss%2Bunsubs cr...@googlegroups.com>

Prem Ramaswami

Dec 11, 2009, 11:46:35 AM12/11/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
We have also reached out to Spamhaus ourselves.

Thanks,
Prem

Prem Ramaswami

Dec 11, 2009, 8:25:02 PM12/11/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com

Max Noudelman

Dec 12, 2009, 2:49:04 AM12/12/09
to public-dns-discuss
It says not to use Google DNS for requests.
I was pretty sure that if it works with Open DNS there is no reason it
will not work with Google DNS.