Somalia's unnaturally steady infant mortality rate

Shane

Jun 14, 2011, 10:13:36 AM6/14/11
to Google Public Data Explorer
Somalia's infant mortality rate from 1986 to 2009 is a perfect
horizontal line, 108.5 all the way across:
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=sp_dyn_imrt_in&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:SOM&tstart=473385600000&tunit=Y&tlen=24&hl=en&dl=en

I presume this uncanny lack of change must indicate some flaw in
information-gathering? Is it simply the case that World Bank does not
have the necessary data for wartorn Somalia during this period?

Thanks,
Shane

Benjamin Yolken

Jun 17, 2011, 6:04:53 AM6/17/11
to Google Public Data Explorer
Thanks for letting us know. This may be due to an import error on our
side; we'll look into this further.

Benjamin Yolken
Product Manager, Google Public Data Explorer

On Jun 14, 4:13 pm, Shane <shane.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Somalia's infant mortality rate from 1986 to 2009 is a perfect
> horizontal line, 108.5 all the way across:http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&ctype=l&strail=false&nselm...

Shane

Jun 19, 2011, 2:28:57 PM6/19/11
to Google Public Data Explorer
Great, thanks for looking into it,

Shane

Benjamin Yolken

Jun 21, 2011, 8:38:31 AM6/21/11
to Google Public Data Explorer
As it turns out, this is how the data are given in the original
dataset: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.IMRT.IN?cid=GPD_55.
So, there doesn't appear to be any problem on our side.

If you'd like to ask the World Bank for more information about this
particular case, please do so by following the provider link in the
lower left hand corner of the visualization.

Hope this helps,

Benjamin Yolken
Product Manager, Google Public Data Explorer

Shane

Jun 24, 2011, 12:45:25 PM6/24/11
to Google Public Data Explorer
Cool, I might do so, thanks Benjamin,