New servers

1 view

Keegan Quinn

Nov 3, 2011, 5:52:57 PM11/3/11
to Personal Telco General
Hello world,

The Personal Telco Project has recently received a generous donation
of two Dell PowerEdge servers from Free Geek[0]. We need your help to
put them into production!

One is a PowerEdge 2650, with 2x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz processors, 12GB
of RAM and 5x73GB SCA disks. We've named this machine 'red' and intend
to use it to replace our venerable web server. Before it can be
installed in a colocation facility, it needs a new rack-mount rail
kit: I believe the correct kit is Dell part number 310-1748-QR, the
Quick Rail Slide Kit. If you have a set of these rails lying around,
or know someone who does, we would very much appreciate them!

The other is a PowerEdge SC 1435, with 2x AMD Opteron 2212 processors
and 8GB of RAM. This machine will be named 'blue' and will be a
secondary server, handling less critical parts of our Internet
infrastructure. It was delivered to us with no storage; two
similarly-sized, good condition SATA or SCA hard drives are needed to
make it usable. It also needs a rack-mount rail kit, but we do not yet
have specific details about the type of rack it will be installed in.

Please don't hesitate to contact me or Russell if you think you might
be able to help out with any of these items.

Thanks!

- Keegan

[0] http://www.freegeek.org/

--
Keegan Quinn
http://keegan.ws

Keegan Quinn

Nov 3, 2011, 6:30:00 PM11/3/11
to Personal Telco General
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Keegan Quinn <keega...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The other is a PowerEdge SC 1435, with 2x AMD Opteron 2212 processors
> and 8GB of RAM. This machine will be named 'blue' and will be a
> secondary server, handling less critical parts of our Internet
> infrastructure. It was delivered to us with no storage; two
> similarly-sized, good condition SATA or SCA hard drives are needed to
> make it usable.

Correction: the PowerEdge SC 1435 is compatible with SATA and SAS hard
drives. It will not accept the older SCA drives - that was a typo on
my part.

- Keegan