PTgui 9 Beta - Publish to Website

Willy Kaemena

Sep 9, 2010, 8:35:14 AM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Joost

can you explain and look at the fact that the  iPad/iPhone  HTML5 version is  independent of cube size very fuzzy and the same  output on  Safari  on Mac in HTML5 is nice and crisp.

(Attention: on browsers others than Safari you will see the flash version  when clicking above link)

Willy

PTGui Support

Sep 9, 2010, 9:08:22 AM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Currently the viewer limits the size of the tiles on iOS; this is done
because Safari on the iPad (in particular) crashes if the source images
are too large: the browser just closes and you end up on the home
screen. It's a pity that Apple put only 256 MB in the ipad and not 512
as with the new iphone.

The current limit is much on the safe side, I'll see if it can be
increased or I'll probably make it user configurable.

BTW there's an unrelated problem on the iPhone: it will initially show
an ever lower resolution pano. Once you click on fullscreen and back,
the actual resolution pano is shown. This seems to be an attempt by
Safari to reduce memory usage but I'll see if it can be worked around.

Joost

Hans

Sep 9, 2010, 9:41:36 AM9/9/10
to PTGui Support

On Sep 9, 3:08 pm, PTGui Support <supp...@ptgui.com> wrote:
> Currently the viewer limits the size of the tiles on iOS; this is done
> because Safari on the iPad (in particular) crashes if the source images
> are too large: the browser just closes and you end up on the home
> screen. It's a pity that Apple put only 256 MB in the ipad and not 512
> as with the new iphone.

Joost

I do not understand this. How is that done. Does it resize the images
on the fly on the i Devices.
I have done some output that are 10000x5000 and I do not get any files
which can be used for smaller output. Only one extra for previews in
the flashversion.

I can see there is a limit on low end computers as the 10000x5000 does
not work properly on my Test PC a 2GHZ Acer with 1 GB Ram.
You get a lot of squares with white borders which does not correspond
to the actual tile sizes. 8000x5000 works fine.

Erik Leeman claims that the limit is cubefaces with 2000x2000 on the
iPad when he exports from Pano2VR.

Hans

Willy Kaemena

Sep 9, 2010, 10:03:18 AM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
According to Brian Greenstone the best size for iPad is 4096x2048 and for iPhone the half of it.

which looks perfect on the iPad and still acceptable on Mac(PC

here HTML5 with that size: ( Pano2VR)

http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/iPad/EC/EastCoast.html

Willy

PTGui Support

Sep 9, 2010, 10:44:54 AM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willy,

It crashed my iPad at 50% loading.. so it shows the problem perfectly :-)

Maybe it doesn't crash every time, this depends on how much memory is in
use by other apps. But it's better to show a panorama at a lower
resolution than not showing it at all.

Also PangeaVR is a native app, you cannot really compare the two.

Joost

PTGui Support

Sep 9, 2010, 10:49:28 AM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
On 9-9-2010 15:41, Hans wrote:
> On Sep 9, 3:08 pm, PTGui Support<supp...@ptgui.com> wrote:
>> Currently the viewer limits the size of the tiles on iOS; this is done
>> because Safari on the iPad (in particular) crashes if the source images
>> are too large: the browser just closes and you end up on the home
>> screen. It's a pity that Apple put only 256 MB in the ipad and not 512
>> as with the new iphone.
>

> Joost
>
> I do not understand this. How is that done. Does it resize the images
> on the fly on the i Devices.

Currently yes, it resizes them after download. Which wastes some
bandwidth but keeps it simple.

> I have done some output that are 10000x5000 and I do not get any files
> which can be used for smaller output. Only one extra for previews in
> the flashversion.
>
> I can see there is a limit on low end computers as the 10000x5000 does
> not work properly on my Test PC a 2GHZ Acer with 1 GB Ram.
> You get a lot of squares with white borders which does not correspond
> to the actual tile sizes. 8000x5000 works fine.

Yes I just noticed these too on your panorama. This is a bug in Safari;
apparently it tiles the bitmaps if they are larger than a certain size
but it fails to assemble the tiles seamlessly.

Joost

Willy Kaemena

Sep 9, 2010, 11:12:47 AM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
That is strange until now nothing could crash safari so far wether on iPad nor iPhone not even the 8000x4000 panos of Hans

Willy

PTGui Support

Sep 9, 2010, 11:26:49 AM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
I must admit that it didn't crash the second time I viewed the pano. But
could you try this?

- Start Safari on iPad while holding it in portrait
- open your EastCoast intercity panorama
- when it's finished loading, press the fullscreen button in the viewer
- then rotate the iPad to landscape

This consistently crashes my browser.

Joost

Ken Warner

Sep 9, 2010, 1:04:06 PM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
I like (and need) that button to change control modes from "new" drag the mouse
crap to the "normal" move the viewpoint interface.

Suggestion: changes something on the button to indicate which mode.

It stays fairly sharp even at full screen and zoomed in with a
my monitor resolution at 1280x1024

Willy Kaemena

Sep 9, 2010, 3:00:17 PM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 9, 2010, at 15:08, PTGui Support wrote:

> Currently the viewer limits the size of the tiles on iOS; this is done because Safari on the iPad (in particular) crashes if the source images are too large: the browser just closes and you end up on the home screen. It's a pity that Apple put only 256 MB in the ipad and not 512 as with the new iphone.
>
> The current limit is much on the safe side, I'll see if it can be increased or I'll probably make it user configurable.

The current quality on the iPad is not acceptable, Your viewer should use a cubesize of not much less than 1300 ( 4096x2048)

> BTW there's an unrelated problem on the iPhone: it will initially show an ever lower resolution pano. Once you click on fullscreen and back, the actual resolution pano is shown. This seems to be an attempt by Safari to reduce memory usage but I'll see if it can be worked around.

This is funny... yes after that trick the appearance on the iphone is OK. Hopefully you will find a way around, as apparently other HTML5 viewers don't have that problem.

Willy

Willy Kaemena

Sep 9, 2010, 3:11:08 PM9/9/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Following your instructions I got sometimes a crash while opening in portrait.

Willy

PTGui Support

Sep 10, 2010, 2:29:36 AM9/10/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com
On 9-9-2010 21:00, Willy Kaemena wrote:
> The current quality on the iPad is not acceptable, Your viewer
> should use a cubesize of not much less than 1300 ( 4096x2048)

I'll remove the current hard limit and make it configurable..

Joost

Willy Kaemena

Sep 10, 2010, 4:10:27 AM9/10/10
to pt...@googlegroups.com