Smartblend and PTGui on OS X

1drey

Dec 3, 2007, 3:59:09 AM12/3/07
to PTGui
Failed to find if it is possible to use Smartblend on Mac OS X.

One of the students attending the classes on panoramic photography is
mac user and ask me this question.

Thank you,
Andrey

Ian Wood

Dec 3, 2007, 4:27:01 AM12/3/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com
The only OS X version of Smartblend that I'm aware of was written
commercially for Realviz, and checks for the serial number of the
version of Stitcher that it came with.

Ian

1drey

Dec 3, 2007, 5:51:49 AM12/3/07
to PTGui
I see...

Is it possible to use Enblend with PTGui for OSX?

Willy Kaemena

Dec 3, 2007, 5:58:03 AM12/3/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com
sure it is! ( how else would you blend...)

Willy

michel thoby

Dec 3, 2007, 6:11:52 AM12/3/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com

Le 3 déc. 07 à 10:27, Ian Wood a écrit :

> The only OS X version of Smartblend that I'm aware of was written
> commercially for Realviz, and checks for the serial number of the
> version of Stitcher that it came with.

Hi Yan,

Did you manage to make it work with PTGui? (I have tried to but I
couldn't)

Michel

1drey

Dec 3, 2007, 6:20:09 AM12/3/07
to PTGui

On Dec 3, 1:58 pm, Willy Kaemena <wkaem...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> sure it is! ( how else would you blend...)
>
> Willy
>
> On Dec 3, 2007, at 11:51, 1drey wrote:

Sounds inspiring :)

Could you please spill some light on the process?
Link to the description would be nice.

Andrey

Thomas Mottl

Dec 3, 2007, 6:26:50 AM12/3/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Download Enblend at kekus com
install it
set path in preferences in PTGui
restart PTGui and use it
Thomas

Federico Infanti

Dec 3, 2007, 6:43:59 AM12/3/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com
2007/12/3, Thomas Mottl <ar...@mac.com>:

> Download Enblend at kekus com
> install it
> set path in preferences in PTGui
> restart PTGui and use it

There's some differences between the enblend released by kekus.com and
the enblend compiled for Huging by mr. Ippei Ukai?
I've tried both and i've found the "japanese" enblend running faster
on my PPC G5.
federico

Ian Wood

Dec 3, 2007, 6:45:45 AM12/3/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com

No, my copy of Stitcher was too old and I didn't feel like paying the
upgrade fee.

Ian

Hans

Dec 3, 2007, 1:23:04 PM12/3/07
to PTGui

On Dec 3, 12:43 pm, "Federico Infanti" <federico.infa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> There's some differences between the enblend released by kekus.com and
> the enblend compiled for Huging by mr. Ippei Ukai?
> I've tried both and i've found the "japanese" enblend running faster
> on my PPC G5.

Are you sure there are 2 versions. I have tried to find another
version at Hugin but the Enblend folder in the Mac download is empty.
No Enblend file just license and a link to sourceforge.net/ but there
is no Mac version at sourceforge.net/

I have tested the 3.0 and have trouble with applying more than 3 gb
ram to it on my G5. It crashes.
3000 is ok but 3600 is not. 1.3 has no problem with 3800
I got a new one 3.1 from this japanese guy after my report at the
panotools list but it does the same.

Enblend 3.0 Universal is very fast on my MacBook Pro and you can cut
time down to half in PTGui 7.3
The only major problem is the lack of blending over the zenith which
is a problem when you do panos with no zenith shot using a 180 degree
fisheye. It has existed since the first version of Enblend and no one
seems to have tried and solve it.

Hans

John Riley

Dec 3, 2007, 2:15:34 PM12/3/07
to PTGui

> Are you sure there are 2 versions. I have tried to find another
> version at Hugin but the Enblend folder in the Mac download is empty.
> No Enblend file just license and a link to sourceforge.net/ but there
> is no Mac version at sourceforge.net/

Hans, I think you are just looking in the "readme and license" folder
and seeing the readme folder for enblend. Try instead to right-click
(or control-click) on the hugin application and choose "Show package
contents". Inside the contents folder, open the MacOS folder and you
will see the actual executables of Hugin and Enblend. Perhaps that is
what you are looking for?

John

Hans

Dec 3, 2007, 3:16:27 PM12/3/07
to PTGui

> Hans, I think you are just looking in the "readme and license" folder
> and seeing the readme folder for enblend. Try instead to right-click
> (or control-click) on the hugin application and choose "Show package
> contents". Inside the contents folder, open the MacOS folder and you
> will see the actual executables of Hugin and Enblend. Perhaps that is
> what you are looking for?

That must be an old version. Hugin 0.6 is from 2006.
The Enblend version in it is dated aug 2006. I have no idea what it is
as it is 4 mb.
The old 2.5 is only 2.2 mb. But my 3.0 version is 8.6mb
And the last 3.1 version is 23.6mb.

Enblend 3.0 was released 27 January 2007.
The Hugin betas 4 package is just a bunch of files and Enblend is not
among them.

I just got info from Erik Krause that the version at Kekus was
compiled by Kevin himself.
And I also got a new version 3.1 directly from the Japanese guy.
He also had a 3.0 Mac version on his site

Hans

Federico Infanti

Dec 3, 2007, 4:17:35 PM12/3/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com
2007/12/3, Hans <han...@gmail.com>:

> Are you sure there are 2 versions. I have tried to find another
> version at Hugin but the Enblend folder in the Mac download is empty.
> No Enblend file just license and a link to sourceforge.net/ but there
> is no Mac version at sourceforge.net/
>
> I have tested the 3.0 and have trouble with applying more than 3 gb
> ram to it on my G5. It crashes.
> 3000 is ok but 3600 is not. 1.3 has no problem with 3800
> I got a new one 3.1 from this japanese guy after my report at the
> panotools list but it does the same.
>
> Enblend 3.0 Universal is very fast on my MacBook Pro and you can cut
> time down to half in PTGui 7.3
> The only major problem is the lack of blending over the zenith which
> is a problem when you do panos with no zenith shot using a 180 degree
> fisheye. It has existed since the first version of Enblend and no one
> seems to have tried and solve it.

I've found Ippei's enblend some months ago, when i was searching for a
mac version for autopano-sift to run with PTGui (Ippei has compiled
but i'm not able to run it on Ptgui, maybe it works only on hugin).
What's the total amount of ram do you have on you G5? I'm running with
4gb total but i'm applying 2000 to enblend.
federico

Hans

Dec 3, 2007, 5:49:00 PM12/3/07
to PTGui

On Dec 3, 10:17 pm, "Federico Infanti" <federico.infa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2007/12/3, Hans <hans...@gmail.com>:
> I've found Ippei's enblend some months ago, when i was searching for a
> mac version for autopano-sift to run with PTGui (Ippei has compiled
> but i'm not able to run it on Ptgui, maybe it works only on hugin).
> What's the total amount of ram do you have on you G5? I'm running with
> 4gb total but i'm applying 2000 to enblend.

The one at Kekus.com runs fine with PTgui also on my dualcore G5.
But it is faster on my MacBook Pro.
On the G5 with PTGuiWarp + Enblend I get 50% faster stitch than
PTGuiWarp + Blend

I have 4.5 gb ram but 3000 is the max I can use for it.
The old 1.3 has no problem with applying 3800

Here is a link to the latest version. It gives me the same crash at
3600 applied.
I am running it at 3000 now to test speed.
<http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/enblend-
svn_mac.zip>

Hans

Hans

bigwade

Dec 4, 2007, 8:00:26 PM12/4/07
to PTGui
The Enblend works, about 20% faster at my iMac but it when blending it
"moves" parts like I had at PTMac.
Did a test in my garage.
400D/Sig8 4 around 1 Top
PTGui CP's less than 2 (and the 2CP error is only at the topshot)
2 ouputs:
Enblend and PTGuiblend.
Enblend looked nicer because I did not mask the NN5 elbow,
With a closer look I got a little hick in the ceiling with Enblend and
it was NOT visible with the PTGui blender version.
I have no idea how blenders work but I will stick to the PTGui one.
Have Fun.

Hans

Dec 5, 2007, 8:28:54 AM12/5/07
to PTGui

On Dec 5, 2:00 am, bigwade <lookaround...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Enblend works, about 20% faster at my iMac but it when blending it
> "moves" parts like I had at PTMac.

20% ??

What iMac is that. One of the old ones.
If it is an Intel the stitch with the last 3.1 version I posted link
to above should at least cut half of the stitching.
This is mainly because PTGui is not doing the colorcorrection when you
export to Enblend.
For 16 bit that takes a lot of time.

I just did the test on my G5 for a 11400x5700 16 bit. with 8 images

PTGui Warp + Blend 31 minutes
PTGui Warp + The last Enblend 3.1 with 3000mb applied: 16.30 minutes.

Have not tested it on my Intel yet for the big output but the
6000x3000 took less than half of the PTgui blend.

The problem you see is of course bad optimizing or not perfect
nodalpoint.
I am aware that PTGui can hide that but that also means possibility
for blurred seams.

Hans

michel thoby

Dec 5, 2007, 10:37:36 AM12/5/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Le 5 déc. 07 à 14:28, Hans a écrit :

> I just did the test on my G5 for a 11400x5700 16 bit. with 8 images
>
> PTGui Warp + Blend 31 minutes
> PTGui Warp + The last Enblend 3.1 with 3000mb applied: 16.30 minutes.

Another -similar- test result
2 x 2 GHz PPC G5 Mac OS 10.4.11
Input = (4 x equirect images) tiff 8388 x 4194 8-bits

To compare (Blend + Write) only time i.e. excluding (images Warp) time:

--> output tiff 8388 x 4194 16-bits no compression
PTGui Pro 7.4 beta1(2 runs) = 3 mmn 00 sec then 2 mn 55 sec

--> output tiff 8388 x 4194 8-bits no compression
PTGui (2 runs) = 2 mn 10 sec
(XBlend / Enblend 3.1 w/ 5000 MB) (2 runs) = 1 mn 40 sec

Regards,

Michel

bigwade

Dec 5, 2007, 12:22:48 PM12/5/07
to PTGui
Hans,
iMac 24" intel / 2.16/ 2Gig Ram/ 10.4.11/ 250disk + ext. LaCie 300Gig
FW400
5 images 2592x3888 pix. 8bit. (not masked)
Output 4100x8200 pix Tiff not layered
PTWarp + Enblend 5min. 39 sec.
PTWarp + PTGBlend 6min. 23 sec.
Enblend 3.0

I can't say a 2pix error at only 2 CP's is bad optimizing, and they
are only in the top image.
And I can't say this is the result of a bad NP
The little hick in the ceiling is absolute not visible in the PTGBlend
output and no, no other blurred seems.
Have Fun.

PS Will try the 3.1 version later.

bigwade

Dec 5, 2007, 6:23:49 PM12/5/07
to PTGui
Even with 3.1 it's not faster (same project)
5 min. 44 sec/6 min 11 sec./5 min.50 sec. etc.
So this has to do with RAM.(only 2Gig on the iMac)
PTGui likes disks and enblend RAM
That's it ?
Let me know
Have Fun.

1drey

Dec 6, 2007, 4:27:34 AM12/6/07
to PTGui
Hans,

You don't think anymore that CS3 Autoblend is the best blending tool?

Andrey

Hans

Dec 6, 2007, 6:50:39 PM12/6/07
to PTGui
Autoblend is fantastic for some purposes,

If you are on Mac you have no Smartblend but actually I believe CS3
Autoblend is better.
But I am not sure I can even use it for a 11.400x5700 pixels 16bit
pano.
As far as I remember my limit with 4.5gb ram was 20.000x10.000 8bit.

When I get 4 GB more in a couple of days I will try.

Hans

Stephen Recker

Dec 7, 2007, 6:33:47 PM12/7/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com
I've been away from stitching for a few months and just got back in it
and upgraded to PTGui 7.3. I hooked up Enblend 2.5 and the skies look
horribly banded. Is this the correct version? I also remember that I
had used some command line for Enblend before, but it slips my mind.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Regards,
Stephen Recker
Interactive Producer

Another Software Miracle
P.O. Box 705
Sharpsburg, MD 21782
240-217-3664
800-417-9596

http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
http://www.virtualantietam.com

Stephen Recker

Dec 7, 2007, 6:40:30 PM12/7/07
to pt...@googlegroups.com
I remember now. It was -l 20. I'll try that.

Stephen

Hans

Dec 8, 2007, 5:32:53 PM12/8/07
to PTGui

On Dec 8, 12:33 am, Stephen Recker <rec...@virtualgettysburg.com>
wrote:
> I've been away from stitching for a few months and just got back in it
> and upgraded to PTGui 7.3. I hooked up Enblend 2.5 and the skies look
> horribly banded. Is this the correct version? I also remember that I
> had used some command line for Enblend before, but it slips my mind.
> Any thoughts? Thanks.

Forget about 2.5
3.0 or 3.1 is the last version-
No banding as far as I can see.