PSPSeq 3.00 beta now available!

ethan

May 28, 2008, 11:59:42 AM5/28/08
to PSPSeq
hey everyone, here's the first beta for 3.00:

http://dspmusic.org/psp/PSPSeq300-beta1.zip

while i still have a couple features i need to finish off but i wanted
to get this out now so you could start writing demo loops/songs and
also work with presets and more generally stress this version as it
stands now. and while i feel like most of the functionality is pretty
solid i will warn you that this is still beta software so i appologize
if it crashes horribly or some other mishap occurs.

first thing you should know is that compatibility with 2.11 seqs is
broken with this release. sorry about that. but i think the new
features will definitely make up for it. i'll do the best i can to
summarize the changes and generally how to use them. along with a
little more development work, i still need to write the new
documentation for 3.00, so this is the best place to read about what's
new. if you have any questions on how anything works or suggestions
on how to improve these features please post it here.

new features:

- synthesizer presets
- 64 presets per instrument type
- load to step, loop, all loops
- preview preset data
- multiple preset files per synth type

all presets are stored in the ./presets directory. each GEN/FX combo
gets its own file (makes it a lot faster to save/load and to create
custom preset files). the filename structure is
GENFX.presetfile.preset.psp. after selecting load preset you get the
choice of preset file. press D-pad up/down to select the preset
file. out of the box the only preset filename is
GENFX.SEQDEF.preset.psp so you can't make a choice here. i did
include one preset file called PERC1 for FM which was made by H-S and
is a nice way to see the functionality of presets.

after selecting the preset file, press up/down on apad/dpad to select
a particular preset. L-trigger previews the preset keeping your freq
data. R-trigger overwrites freq data for the preview. press L/R
trigger again to go back to the original sound. you need to stop
preview to re-enable up/down controls. the text on screen turns blue
when previewing a sound. there are a few presets saved in the preset
files for the original PSPSeq default sounds, so for example if you
open the preset file for BAM you'll find the kick drums and a few
other sounds. after selecting the preset, you can choose to keep freq
data or overwrite with the default data from the current track. last
choice is whether to load to the current step, current loop, or whole
song. if you load to the step or loop and try to overwrite freq data
it will not change the frequency mode (ABS or MIDI). it'll do a best
fit of the freq data. if you overwrite and choose song it'll change
frequency type to that of the preset. this was necessary to avoid
mucking up sequences in other loops.

saving presets chooses the track and step you're on for the preset
data. you select the preset you want to overwrite, create the preset
name with the same controls as seq/wav save, and you're done.

make preset file creates a new preset file with the GENFX combo and
name you provide. all presets are set to the same default value.

- add exponential modifier to frequency to all synths

two new parameters; EXPDEC and ENDOFFSET (i will change EXPDEC to
EXPMULT since it can do exponential up and down). ENDOFFSET sets the
final frequency and is just the multiplier of the start frequency. so
for a
kick drum a good value would be something like start freq 800, EXPDEC
0.93, ENDOFFSET 0.05. this makes the end freq 40Hz. exponential
range is 0.9 to 1.1. if you put in values that don't make sense (end
freq less than start freq but EXPDEC > 1.0 or vice versa) you just get
back the start freq with no bend. ENDOFFSET can be between 0-100. if
it's greater than 1 then the end freq is higher than the start freq by
that multiplier.

the two non-pitched synths also get this feature. for N the
exponential is on the sample/hold part of the generator and for WAV
it's on readspeed.

because i added this envelope feature the preset instruments no longer
exist, but it's possible to make them and a whole lot more with this
extra functionality.

- 7Mbytes of memory for samples

available memory (as well as processor loading from various gen/fx/env
functions) can be seen in the about menu. the 7MB is an estimate.
may be a small bit more or less. still, it's a serious improvement
over 2.11.

- global configurable sensitivity on apad

under SYSTEM->CONTROL. default is the same as older versions of
PSPSeq. can go from 0.01x the original speed to 4x original speed.

- START always exits menu system entirely

- fm feedback for FM and BFM

4 feedback types.

MM: output of modulator fed back into the modulator and carrier
MC: output of modulator fed back into the modulator, output of carrier
fed back into the carrier
CM: output of modulator fed back into the carrier, output of carrier
fed back into the modulator
CC: output of carrier fed back into the modulator and carrier

feedback allows for all sorts of pretty amazing and interesting sounds
out of FM. a little bit tends to add some grunge, a lot turns the
sound into something completely different. if you turn MODINDEX down
to 0.0 and the mode to CC then you've just got a simple oscillator
with feedback.

- shortcut to synth params from sequencer screen (triangle+L-trig+R-
trig). takes you to the GEN/FX/ENV menu for selected track in step
sequencer

- per step pan

pan is set on a per-step basis. if you control pan like before (O+L/R
on stepedit screen) pan is modified only for that step. if you press
R-trig at the same time it controls it for all steps in the loop (but
not for all loops). this feature also requires that you don't have a
step selected for parameter copying on the sequencer screen as O+R-
trig also is paste in that case). pan (along with per step volume) is
now available for control in the synth->env menus.

- smarter stepping through sequencer with apad

you can either step the only way (locked to 8 steps) or jump 8 steps
or the next triggered step. set under system->control->apad nav.
doesn't change behaviour in apad up/down.

- randomize parameters with ranged setting, start/end points for
random values

this works the same way as interpolation. you set the start and end
points by pressing X and PSPSeq picks random values between the start
and end values. for example if you press X on step 0 (value 0.5) and
step 8 (value 1.0) it will fill steps 0-8 with random values between
0.5 and 1.0.

- edit a subset of steps in a loop

used in the the GEN/FX/ENV menus. press dpad L to add/remove
elements. what this does is allow you to use triangle or circle to
control only a certain set of parameters in a loop, rather than
affecting all of them. this is called "latched mode". great from
selectively tweaking a filter on a bassline, for example. the latches
are remembered even if you back out to the track selection screen.
this makes it easier to modify a subset of steps in multiple tracks.
the latches are cleared if you back out to the menu with EDIT SYNTH,
ADD SYNTH, etc or all the way to stepedit mode.

- configurable colors

under SYSTEM->DISPLAY. 8 presets, nothing useful in there yet. you
can load and save color palettes and restore back to default. to set
colors you hold either square, X, or O and press the A-pad up or down
to modify the R/G/B values. L-trig copies the color at the current
menu option and R-trig pastes it to another menu option. press
triangle to accept the changes. no more complaining about eye
bleeding colors! ;)

- name loops, place names in sequencer menu, display next loop jump
point

to rename loops go to loop->rename loop. after setting a new name it
shows up on screen and in SEQUENCE menu. also if you turn off instant
loop jump and press L/R trigger the next loop you'll jump to is
displayed in grey.

- jump by 8 through load seq list

hold triangle while pressing up/down on d-pad.

- enhance clear track to clear from/to an arbitrary step

set start/end points for clear rather than clearing the entire track

- enhance shift track to keep old hits for copy/paste functionality

great for echo effects and arpeggiation!

bug fixes/improvements:

- fixed dc offset in humanize and delay cases

previously when you'd add a delay or turn on humanize the generator
would already be running when the envelope would turn on. now the
generator waits until the envelope passes the delay stage. also WAVs
are delayed properly so they'll start after the delay ends.

- fixed wav save bug

some programs had trouble opening WAVs saved in PSPSeq. i think i
fixed how the WAV header is generated so it should work with all WAV
loaders now.

- much faster load/save and more compressed SEQs

- rewritten dadsr

control is linear on all parameters and is much easier to use.

that's just about everything. i included a couple demos written by HS
which i think are pretty cool. i know this is a lot to digest. if
you have any questions let me know. i'll be working on real
documentation soon.

my hope is to get 3.00 officially out there in the next month with
lots of wonderful presets and music from all of you. so far i'm
really happy with where the program is going and am planning some fun
stuff to get the word out on PSPSeq once this version is done.

have fun!

ethan
dspmusic.org/psp

kid chemical

May 30, 2008, 8:40:42 PM5/30/08
to PSPSeq
I cant get this to work for some reason. It always shows up as
corrupted data. I'm currently using firmware 1.5 . I had the same
problem with the alpha version. All pre-v3 revisions work fine. Any
idea's?

Ethan Bordeaux

May 31, 2008, 11:06:56 AM5/31/08
to psp...@googlegroups.com
that is extremely strange. i just downloaded beta 1 and copied it to
my 1.5/phat PSP and ran it without trouble at all. i didn't make any
fundamental changes between 2.11 and 3.00 that would affect
compatibility. what do you see when you got to the contents of the
memory stick? there should be 1 icon which says "corrupted data"
which you should not select and then another with a PSP-DEV launcher
icon and the program is called PSPSeq0.00. that is what you want to
select. do you see that? even though it says 0.00 it's really 3.00.
just a remnant of the original build system. sorry for the confusion.
for a full release modify the icon and background screen but didn't
do it for the beta.

another thing you could try is converting the 1.0 eboot.pbp to a 1.5
compatible PBP. the way i do this (and end up with the PSP-DEV icon)
is via the kxploit tool. you should be able to get it here:

http://www.psp-hacks.com/psp-kxploit-howto.php

anyone else having basic compatibility problems like this? like i
said i'm running on 1.5 and i know H-S is using 3.80 m33 with the 1.5
kernel and it's working fine for him as well, so it seems quite stable
and compatible with different methods of execution.

ethan

kid chemical

May 31, 2008, 5:51:07 PM5/31/08
to PSPSeq
Thanks for the reply. I reformatted the card and its working fine.
Its possible I missed the new PSP-DEV icon amoungst many others, I'm
not sure. I hope I didnt spook you.

Anyway, its really really sick, thanks dude. I'm going to get busy on
some new tunes.

-Matt

On May 31, 11:06 am, "Ethan Bordeaux" <ethan.borde...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> that is extremely strange.  i just downloaded beta 1 and copied it to
> my 1.5/phat PSP and ran it without trouble at all.  i didn't make any
> fundamental changes between 2.11 and 3.00 that would affect
> compatibility.  what do you see when you got to the contents of the
> memory stick?  there should be 1 icon which says "corrupted data"
> which you should not select and then another with a PSP-DEV launcher
> icon and the program is called PSPSeq0.00.  that is what you want to
> select.  do you see that?  even though it says 0.00 it's really 3.00.
> just a remnant of the original build system.  sorry for the confusion.
>  for a full release modify the icon and background screen but didn't
> do it for the beta.
>
> another thing you could try is converting the 1.0 eboot.pbp to a 1.5
> compatible PBP.  the way i do this (and end up with the PSP-DEV icon)
> is via the kxploit tool.  you should be able to get it here:
>
> http://www.psp-hacks.com/psp-kxploit-howto.php
>
> anyone else having basic compatibility problems like this?  like i
> said i'm running on 1.5 and i know H-S is using 3.80 m33 with the 1.5
> kernel and it's working fine for him as well, so it seems quite stable
> and compatible with different methods of execution.
>
> ethan

> read more »

Ethan Bordeaux

May 31, 2008, 7:56:47 PM5/31/08
to psp...@googlegroups.com
excellent on all fronts. and yes you did spook me. bugs like that
where it works on my PSP and not on yours are the ones that scare me
the most for two reasons. they're impossible to debug and if they
make it into the final version they really scare people away and you
lose trust in the community.

please post your tunes and patches when you get a chance.

anyone else have any comments? saying things like "it's really really
sick" is appreciated, but i'm also happy to hear any complaints as
well. ;) now's the time to get them out before this becomes
official.

Mark.D...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2008, 9:25:14 AM6/19/08
to PSPSeq