{sticky} PSPSeq 2.00 feature requests

ethan

Oct 30, 2006, 11:02:45 AM10/30/06
to PSPSeq
please post all feature requests here. feel free to give guidance on
priorities of features as well.

to get the ball rolling, this is my basic list of features that i want
to implement for 2.00. i don't know how many of them are feasible or
if i will manage to get them all into 2.00 or if they will get pushed
back to a later release.

- visualizations (switch from stepedit mode to visualize mode)
- record loop/song
- new instruments/fx
- wav read
- fm2op
- whitenoise generator w/ different types
- more wavetable options for BAM and LFOs
- freq track with trackoffset in svf
- some sort of reverb/delay fx
- waveshapers
- visual improvements
- minimize flickering
- custom screen colors
- gen/fx instruments swappable at runtime
- mappable LFOs & envelopes on parameters
- additional control of parameters via Dpad
- mute/solo enhancements
- .SEQ properties
- improve tap tempo
- fix bug where tap tempo stops the seq
- allow seq to play while tapping (maybe wait 4 notes first)
- more accurate tap tempo (average over longer period of time)
- "flatter" menu system

discuss, ask questions, add to the list, etc etc...

mister....@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2006, 10:37:48 PM11/29/06
to PSPSeq
I request an easy to navigate menu system focused on a more chiptune
synth style rather than a sampler... you know?

I want to be able to use the psp as like... an atari or NES synth :-D
But I'm sure that's all comming, and possibly a mouse pointer for
getting around that... And a readme with controls... if I missed it :-D

Keep up the great work!

ethan

Nov 30, 2006, 10:16:15 AM11/30/06
to PSPSeq
hi, thanks for the feedback! always appreciated.

> I request an easy to navigate menu system focused on a more chiptune
> synth style rather than a sampler... you know?

first off, the other generators and fx are not going away, and some of
them have a fair bit of chiptune in them. plus anything can be made
chiptuney if you run it through the sample-hold/decimator fx. :) can
you point me towards a synth or list specific capabilities that are
missing from what's already there? once 2.00 comes out and the FM
synths are added, the possibilities really open up a lot.

as for the sampler, honestly i don't think i will use it too much, but
it was easy enough to add & there have been a number of requests, so in
it goes.

> I want to be able to use the psp as like... an atari or NES synth :-D

sorry no plans to model sound chips of systems past; though that would
be pretty neat. i don't have the patience or time to model them close
enough that the purists will be happy. ;) as an aside, have you ever
tried LSDJ through one of the the GBA emulators? i'd be curious to
know how close it is to running it on the original hardware.

> But I'm sure that's all comming, and possibly a mouse pointer for
> getting around that... And a readme with controls... if I missed it :-D

don't be expecting a mouse pointer any time soon. i think it would
just get in the way and be less fast & accurate than stepping through
locations with A-pad/D-pad. as for a readme, did you look at "PSPSEQ
Quick Reference.rtf"? that covers all the controls in a unified place,
rather than wading through the full reference documentation.

> Keep up the great work!

trust me, i'm trying! ;)

ethan

mister....@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2006, 3:24:00 PM11/30/06
to PSPSeq
Thanks, I thought this topic was dying actually. I tried the other
sequencer homebrew thing thing and it was good as well, but I'd still
pick yours.

Emulating other chips, nah, I just want to get the general sound, I
also get what you are saying about the mouse pointer and a cursor, all
I have to say is that the analog stick is way too touchy to pick out
individual notes. That, and just a general cosmetic update. It'd be
sweet to have user skins and thanks for doing this work.

If I was good at coding (I'm pretty terrible) I'd offer to help :-D

On Nov 30, 10:16 am, "ethan" <ethan.borde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, thanks for the feedback! always appreciated.
>
> > I request an easy to navigate menu system focused on a more chiptune

> > synth style rather than a sampler... you know?first off, the other generators and fx are not going away, and some of

> them have a fair bit of chiptune in them. plus anything can be made
> chiptuney if you run it through the sample-hold/decimator fx. :) can
> you point me towards a synth or list specific capabilities that are
> missing from what's already there? once 2.00 comes out and the FM
> synths are added, the possibilities really open up a lot.
>
> as for the sampler, honestly i don't think i will use it too much, but
> it was easy enough to add & there have been a number of requests, so in
> it goes.
>

> > I want to be able to use the psp as like... an atari or NES synth :-Dsorry no plans to model sound chips of systems past; though that would

> be pretty neat. i don't have the patience or time to model them close
> enough that the purists will be happy. ;) as an aside, have you ever
> tried LSDJ through one of the the GBA emulators? i'd be curious to
> know how close it is to running it on the original hardware.
>
> > But I'm sure that's all comming, and possibly a mouse pointer for

> > getting around that... And a readme with controls... if I missed it :-Ddon't be expecting a mouse pointer any time soon. i think it would

> just get in the way and be less fast & accurate than stepping through
> locations with A-pad/D-pad. as for a readme, did you look at "PSPSEQ
> Quick Reference.rtf"? that covers all the controls in a unified place,
> rather than wading through the full reference documentation.
>

> > Keep up the great work!trust me, i'm trying! ;)

ethan

Nov 30, 2006, 4:19:54 PM11/30/06
to PSPSeq
> Emulating other chips, nah, I just want to get the general sound,

ah ok. well a lot of that general sound can be recreated with the
BAMDEC instrument + the ROT & N generators. and you'll have even more
capability for that kind of sound when the FM synths (with the DEC FX
at the end of course) are made available in 2.00. you won't have all
the quirkiness of the old chips, but there should be enough ways of
creating square, saw, triangle, and noise waves with various
modulations that you should be happy. :)

> also get what you are saying about the mouse pointer and a cursor, all
> I have to say is that the analog stick is way too touchy to pick out
> individual notes.

you know that there are both fast and slow ways to modify parameters,
right? the L and R triggers, when held with the other buttons for
modifying parameters, dramatically slow down and speed up the rate of
modification. also, when pressing L and R you can also use the D-pad
to step between notes and parameters in a very controlled fashion.
it's all in the control readme you were asking about before. :)

this question/problem has come up a lot. i'm really happy with the
control scheme and think it offers the right level of fast and precise
controls but i guess i need to publicize it better...

> That, and just a general cosmetic update. It'd be
> sweet to have user skins and thanks for doing this work.

i am thinking of updating PSPSeq's appearance, though that's totally
2nd order stuff for me right now. the whole screen is actually drawn
rather than taken from image files (the method used by PSPRhythm and
PSPKick), so it's not exactly skinnable. i'd need to come up with new
rendering ideas or switch to the same concept as the other music
programs to make it truly skinnable.

> If I was good at coding (I'm pretty terrible) I'd offer to help :-D

no worries. i like doing all the work myself. also, the code's pretty
crazy so i'm not sure i'd want to push it on anyone. ;)

ethan

herr prof

Dec 7, 2006, 10:10:43 AM12/7/06
to PSPSeq
rin is really good gameboy emulator. It does LSDJ very well, but the
timing is not as good (but this is only noticable if you compare two
identical songs from the real hardware in a daw or something. I have to
do his alot.)

You would be surprised how chippy it would sound if you just had the
square wave voice run the duty cycles (25%, 50%, 75%, 87.5%). Add a
teeny bit of overdrive and and a pitch sweep command and it would sound
like 80% of chip sounds. Bit reducers only help because most chips only
have 4-bit volume controls, but the sound are full frequency, so most
soft synths that use this as a shortcut to it sounds kinda shitty (like
a sample of a chip played on a sk-1 or something)

Why the 2op fm? Is that substantially better cpu than save a 4op? Will
it offer any osc waveforms other than sine?

ethan

Dec 7, 2006, 12:31:45 PM12/7/06
to PSPSeq
-----

You would be surprised how chippy it would sound if you just had the
square wave voice run the duty cycles (25%, 50%, 75%, 87.5%). Add a
teeny bit of overdrive and and a pitch sweep command and it would sound
like 80% of chip sounds. Bit reducers only help because most chips only
have 4-bit volume controls, but the sound are full frequency, so most
soft synths that use this as a shortcut to it sounds kinda shitty (like
a sample of a chip played on a sk-1 or something)
-----

a few thoughts.

1. i definitely want to do something with duty cycles. i'm trying to
add a more general PWM capability to the BAM generator so you can PWM
any of the waveforms. however doing that and keeping a constant pitch
and not adding lots of processing overhead. if i can't figure out how
to do it in a general form i could add a simple pwm square wave
generator.

2. not sure how you overdrive a square wave, it's already fully
overdriven! :)

-----

Why the 2op fm? Is that substantially better cpu than save a 4op? Will
it offer any osc waveforms other than sine?

-----

first off, it's not a choice between a 2 op and 4 op fm synth. both
are 2 operator; one uses a single oscillator for the modulator and
carrier while the other uses a full BAM (2 osc + ringmod) for each of
them. you can get significantly more interesting waveforms, but at a
price. the cycle saving is pretty significant; the simpler one is
approximately 1/2 as complex. i -think- it's around 6% loading for the
simple one and 12% for the complex one. enough that i wanted to offer
the option. and as for waveforms, all of the waveforms in the BAM are
also available for the FM synths. however, i don't do any aliasing
protection anywhere in PSPSeq so if you modulate a waveform with lots
of spectral content then you get some serious foldback frequency
distortion. however, while it might not sound "right" it can still
sound interesting, and that's what really matters eh? :)

herr prof

Dec 7, 2006, 2:54:04 PM12/7/06
to PSPSeq

> 2. not sure how you overdrive a square wave, it's already fully
> overdriven! :)

well I meant at the master out stage. The NES sums the two squares
waves before joining with the other voices with makes a nice beef tone
when running voices in unison. Its the reason i think the gameboy
doesnt sound as fat as a NES

> -----
> Why the 2op fm? Is that substantially better cpu than save a 4op? Will
> it offer any osc waveforms other than sine?
> -----

> distortion. however, while it might not sound "right" it can still
> sound interesting, and that's what really matters eh? :)

for sure. Its plenty easy to do it the right way, but then you'd sound
like everyone else right? ;)

Mark.D...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2006, 9:25:05 AM12/8/06
to PSPSeq
I don't think you should change the look of psp seq at all.

People that want "skins" can look to another tracker. Everyone that I
show it to thinks it looks beautiful.
Thanks.

MDN

On Nov 30, 4:19 pm, "ethan" <ethan.borde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Emulating other chips, nah, I just want to get the general sound,ah ok. well a lot of that general sound can be recreated with the

> BAMDEC instrument + the ROT & N generators. and you'll have even more
> capability for that kind of sound when the FM synths (with the DEC FX
> at the end of course) are made available in 2.00. you won't have all
> the quirkiness of the old chips, but there should be enough ways of
> creating square, saw, triangle, and noise waves with various
> modulations that you should be happy. :)
>
> > also get what you are saying about the mouse pointer and a cursor, all
> > I have to say is that the analog stick is way too touchy to pick out

> > individual notes.you know that there are both fast and slow ways to modify parameters,

> right? the L and R triggers, when held with the other buttons for
> modifying parameters, dramatically slow down and speed up the rate of
> modification. also, when pressing L and R you can also use the D-pad
> to step between notes and parameters in a very controlled fashion.
> it's all in the control readme you were asking about before. :)
>
> this question/problem has come up a lot. i'm really happy with the
> control scheme and think it offers the right level of fast and precise
> controls but i guess i need to publicize it better...
>
> > That, and just a general cosmetic update. It'd be

> > sweet to have user skins and thanks for doing this work.i am thinking of updating PSPSeq's appearance, though that's totally

> 2nd order stuff for me right now. the whole screen is actually drawn
> rather than taken from image files (the method used by PSPRhythm and
> PSPKick), so it's not exactly skinnable. i'd need to come up with new
> rendering ideas or switch to the same concept as the other music
> programs to make it truly skinnable.
>

> > If I was good at coding (I'm pretty terrible) I'd offer to help :-Dno worries. i like doing all the work myself. also, the code's pretty

ethan

Dec 8, 2006, 10:36:31 AM12/8/06
to PSPSeq
> People that want "skins" can look to another tracker. Everyone that I
> show it to thinks it looks beautiful.

i bet they're all geeks. ;)

the only thing i was considering changing in the appearance is to allow
for custom modification of the colors of different elements (the green
grid, hightlighted/unhighlighted text, background, etc etc) but that's
really not something weighing on my mind and isn't something i'm
planning to add to 2.00 unless i get bored. i just think it would be
fun to have that capability.

AMB

Jan 29, 2007, 7:06:21 PM1/29/07
to PSPSeq
My request... :)

Grid is 2 BAR long with 1/32 note divisions, I would like to have 1/16
notes "highlighted" or in a different color...

I hope I made myself "understandable"... :)

Cheers!

Alex

On 8 dic 2006, 16:36, "ethan" <ethan.borde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > People that want "skins" can look to another tracker. Everyone that I

> > show it to thinks it looks beautiful.i bet they're all geeks. ;)

AMB

Jan 30, 2007, 6:08:45 PM1/30/07
to PSPSeq
Oh yes, maybe its there yet, but I would like that PSPSeq restarts
from "STEP ONE" when you start playing from "STOP" mode...

Yours!

Alex

ethan

Jan 31, 2007, 10:04:56 AM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
hi, i thought i replied to this already but it hasn't shown up yet.
sorry if there's two responses...

anyways, this is already a part of PSPSeq. if you press X on the PLAY/
STOP transport option it resets the sequencer (stopping, pressing X
and restarting is the way it is intended to be used but it works no
matter if the sequencer is set to PLAY or STOP). however, right now
the loop value is reset to 00 when in LOOP mode. i don't think this
is the right thing to do; it should stay in the current loop and just
go to step 0. in SONG mode it goes back to the first measure, which i
think is the right thing to do. if nobody has any objections, i'm
going to modify the way it works for LOOP mode.

AMB

Jan 31, 2007, 1:58:56 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
Thanx Ethan! What about the other request? It would make PSPSeq a lot
more comfortable to me... :)

Cheers!

Alex

ethan

Jan 31, 2007, 2:33:19 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
just to make sure i've got it straight, do you want to alternate
colors for every step (so the even steps are one color, and the odd
are another), or do you want to colors to alternate for every 2
steps? i can try some experimentation with this, see what looks
good. should be easy enough to test. if i do this i think it would
be 2 different shades of green and it would be pretty subtle. can't
deviate too much from the look and feel. :)

AMB

Jan 31, 2007, 3:31:16 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
Yes!

Trying to make a "visual" example of my "desired" grid"
(Just one track...)

Current GRID:
OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOO

My "dream" GRID: :)
O0O0O0O0 O0O0O0O0 O0O0O0O0 O0O0O0O0 O0O0O0O0 O0O0O0O0 O0O0O0O0
O0O0O0O0

I dont care if it is just some "shade" change, as long as it is
(easily) visible...

Thanks in advance! And keep up the good work!

Alex

ethan

Jan 31, 2007, 4:36:47 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
hey check this out:

http://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-coloredsteps.jpg

is that good enough? i don't want to clutter up the screen with too
many colors or rapid striping. with a single line through the 4th
step in each block of 8 it is easy to tell if you're on the beat or
off (each step has something unique associated with it; either it is
the 1st step, last step, on a colored step, adjacent to a colored
step, or not adjacent to a colored step).

ethan

Jan 31, 2007, 4:43:50 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
heh the difference between the steps doesn't show up in a fixed width
font. seeing it in proportional for the reply, i get it now.

anyways, i'm not sure i like changing the width. and when you have
too many stripes on screen, my eyes bug out a bit. :) plus, it
doesn't really convey any new information that you can't get by
placing a single stripe on the 4th line. i'm trying to keep the
display as clean and uncluttered as i can. regardless, i'll give it a
bit more thought.

ethan

Jan 31, 2007, 3:19:51 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
hey do you know of a program that has this alternating color scheme in
a step sequencer and it doesn't look ugly and distracting? i've tried
a few things and overall i find it makes me dizzy rather than being
helpful. ;)

AMB

Jan 31, 2007, 5:39:10 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
Ethan

The screen capture you sent me doesnt fit my idea... Even more, it
gets everything even more "odd"...

Almost every modern music is based on a maximum value of 1/16 notes...
(And believe me, I´m using music software from an early age, I have
been product manager for Steinberg/Native Instruments for almost 3
years and beta tester for PropellerHeads and some other brands...
Commodore 64 musician from 1986 with lots of experience on all kinds
of software, trackers, audio editors, sequencers... ) and yes, it´s ok
you wanna keep your "design" and easy look for your app, but it will
be people who will use those tools.

So...

I dont think my request will "add" distraction or dizzyness to
PSPSeq... And at least, if you are not sure about the right path you
want to take, you could let the user decide... (Something like "1/16
Grid: On/Off). If I had the chance, I will put every 1/16 "square/
trigger" in "white" or another "really" visible color...

And, you ask for a PSP app with a clear interface? Rhythm 7, has it,
and deals with a 1/16 note grid, you want 1/32? You just double the
tempo...
You dont have to be "counting" "micro squares" for the correct trigger
in the right place... (which stops your creativity...)

And one more thing, DNS.SEQ has some "dizzy" and disturbing notes that
are out of "bar", maybe he wanted to do it like that, maybe he didnt
notice we wasnt putting "notes/triggers" in the right "square"...

Sorry if I made a waste of your time with this... But PSPSeq really
stops me from doing music with the actual Grid... (I found that
PSPKick and PSP Rhythm are "a bit" more easy to use for "usual"
music... But I wouldnt like to lose the possibilty of 1/32 "triggers"
that PSPSeq gives...)

Alex

AMB

Jan 31, 2007, 7:37:01 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
Oh yes! Another one!

Changing the FREQ value with the digital pad (direction
buttons ;up,down,left,right;) for step by step value change...
Sometimes A-PAD is a bit difficult, even if you push L-BUTTON to have
a slow rate...

I´m getting deeper using PSPSeq now uh? :)

Cheers

Alex

AMB

Jan 31, 2007, 7:52:31 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
Sorry, forget my last message, I just saw it is there just holding L/
R... :)

ethan

Jan 31, 2007, 9:26:36 PM1/31/07
to PSPSeq
heh yeah that's an important feature, especially for picking notes.

one thing i want to do after 2.00 is released is video tape a tutorial
on how to use PSPSeq and put it on youtube. i think that's the best
way to show all the nifty little button combos buried in there. :)

ethan

Feb 1, 2007, 8:07:33 AM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
ok i made 3 different screenshots showing the grid recolored by 4, 2,
and 1:

http://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-gridby1.jpg
http://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-gridby2.jpg
http://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-gridby4.jpg

i really prefer by 4 the most. i think the others are pretty ugly,
distracting, and actually confuse matters. by 4 gives enough
additional information that hitting 32nd notes is a lot clearer. fyi
the grid by 4 look is in fruityloops.

http://www.wowwebdesigns.com/tools/screenshots/fruityloops.gif

what do you think? (this is of course open to everyone to answer,
we're all going to be looking at it!)

Mark.D...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2007, 9:59:48 AM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
I realize that AMZ has a valid point for the functionality of the
sequencer, but I aesthetically dislike the change. Please reconsider.
Isn't there a better way to do this? The look is so sleek currently.

Mark

On Feb 1, 8:07 am, "ethan" <ethan.borde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok i made 3 different screenshots showing the grid recolored by 4, 2,
> and 1:
>

> http://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-gridby1.jpghttp://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-gridby2.jpghttp://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-gridby4.jpg

> > Alex- Hide quoted text -

ethan

Feb 1, 2007, 10:13:43 AM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
right now what i'm thinking is that i'll probably implement the grid
by 4, but make it a menu option. the level of difference will be
"analogly" configurable from none to a fairly drastic offset. i don't
mind having the 2 tone look as long as it's by 4 - i think i'd
probably use it in a subtle configuration myself. anything else and i
do feel like both the aesthetic and the functionality is comprimised.

anyone else? alex?

On Feb 1, 9:59 am, "Mark.DeNa...@gmail.com" <Mark.DeNa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I realize that AMZ has a valid point for the functionality of the
> sequencer, but I aesthetically dislike the change. Please reconsider.
> Isn't there a better way to do this? The look is so sleek currently.
>
> Mark
>
> On Feb 1, 8:07 am, "ethan" <ethan.borde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ok i made 3 different screenshots showing the grid recolored by 4, 2,
> > and 1:
>

> >http://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-gridby1.jpghttp://dspmusic.org/psp/...

AMB

Feb 1, 2007, 11:20:18 AM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
First GRID is my logical choice of course, it is what I was really
asking for...
This one, to make it "clearer..."

http://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-gridby1.jpg

Other options are "really" odd, if you are going to choose any of
those remaining options, please leave it as it is right now...

By the way... Do you received my "loop"?

You are welcome.

Alex

On 1 feb, 15:59, "Mark.DeNa...@gmail.com" <Mark.DeNa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I realize that AMZ has a valid point for the functionality of the
> sequencer, but I aesthetically dislike the change. Please reconsider.
> Isn't there a better way to do this? The look is so sleek currently.
>
> Mark
>
> On Feb 1, 8:07 am, "ethan" <ethan.borde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ok i made 3 different screenshots showing the grid recolored by 4, 2,
> > and 1:
>

> >http://dspmusic.org/psp/pspseq200-gridby1.jpghttp://dspmusic.org/psp/...

ethan

Feb 1, 2007, 12:27:08 PM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
alright, i added a couple new menu options, one for setting grid step
and another for setting grid contrast. by default (and every time
PSPSeq boots) it starts off with a grid step of 4 and grid contrast at
0 (meaning that at boot PSPSeq appears as it does now). turning up
the grid contrast darkens steps, and grid step determines how many
steps are a part of a light/dark group. so now everyone is happy.
well except for me, because now i have to update the documentation
again. ;p

just checked gmail... neat! it's definitely techno. now that i've
gone through all this trouble for you i expect you to write lots
more. :)

AMB

Feb 1, 2007, 12:55:46 PM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
Ethan...

CLAP CLAP CLAP!!! :) Lovely idea!!! Can´t wait to have it in my hands
like this!

If you have any "pre-release" I would like to have for the Saturday
gig, I may have time to compose more tunes! :)

By the way, feel free to upload the loop for the users around here...
And for sure you will have more music and support from me! PSPSeq is
getting very hot now! :)

Cheers

Alex

ethan

Feb 1, 2007, 1:20:39 PM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
sure thing i'll try and post a final beta either tonight or tomorrow
morning. i'm curious to know what it's like using PSPSeq in a live
setting. are you going to set up some loops and leave it be/process
externally or try and play it live? like i said before, if you record
the show i'd love to hear it.

as for the loop, i'll upload it in a little bit. thanks!

AMB

Feb 1, 2007, 2:10:11 PM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
I will try to play some "loops" live, maybe do some tweaking live....,
what reminds another feature to me....

When you change a pattern, next pattern starts playing inmediatly,
would be nice if you have an option like "change at end of bar" ...
Maybe that way you may even avoid the flickering between patterns when
you change them...

Cheers!

Alex

PD: I think someone will record the gig, I will send it you in case I
have it...

PD: The synths you implemented here are just MAD!!! What an innovative
music tool!!!
(Any chance for MIDI IN for the PSP? :) I would love to sync it with
the rest of my gear... :) )

ethan

Feb 1, 2007, 3:11:17 PM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
> When you change a pattern, next pattern starts playing inmediatly,
> would be nice if you have an option like "change at end of bar" ...
> Maybe that way you may even avoid the flickering between patterns when
> you change them...

hmmm, that's a good idea on the pattern swapping. i'd like to
implement it as a button combo, i'll see if there's some intuitive
mapping i can apply. would like to avoid making it a configurable
mode, though i fear i am running out of button combo options...

> PD: The synths you implemented here are just MAD!!! What an innovative
> music tool!!!
> (Any chance for MIDI IN for the PSP? :) I would love to sync it with
> the rest of my gear... :) )

thanks! a lot of the oddity comes from the roots of this project.
many of the synths were written to run on a rather slow processor; i
wanted as much polyphony and timbral variety as possible so i went
with things that were computationally cheap and unique. also, where's
the motivation in designing synths just like what everyone else has
done? one of the big reasons i do this is because i want to know what
it sounds like to do X. sometimes it sounds pretty neat.

as for MIDI IN, that's for the hardware gurus to figure out. ;) if
it's done and it becomes something that people want to use, then i'd
probably at least add sync capabilities. for now the BPM resolution
should be tight enough for most studio uses, though i do know it's not
really a good answer for a live setting.

AMB

Feb 1, 2007, 3:41:12 PM2/1/07
to PSPSeq
Hmmm, I´m trying to figure out a "free combo" for the pattern switch
thing...

It´s seems that there´s nothing "free" now... :)

So, I dont think its a bad idea implement that in the "TEMPO" menu.
That feature will be OFF when you are composing your stuff and you
want to see what happens on other patterns very fast. And it will be
ON when you are ready to do your "show", as I see it as a "LIVE"
situation feature... I dont think it is so important that you have a
"fast" access to that feature...

Alex