R-Node update

Jamie Love

Apr 3, 2010, 7:17:22 AM4/3/10
to prot...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Last week I emailed a teaser about R-Node, a project I've been working on in my spare time with Protovis, R and nodejs (read my original post here: http://groups.google.com/group/protovis/browse_thread/thread/13633e3ae1229993).

I know how annoying it is to not be able to try these things out, so I've put R-Node on a server so you can!

visit: http://69.164.204.238:2904/

Access is with (the backend is secure, this is just extra):

pvdemouser
svL35NmPwMnt

Once in, you can try out R. If you have never used R before, try typing into the text box the following  commands (press enter after each one):

x <- rnorm(100)
plot(x, main="Random numbers")
l <- lowess(x)
lines (l$y)

The plot and lines commands will bring up a graph - you can escape out of it. You can also download the graph as a SVG file.

You can also change the graph type, e.g. do:

plot (x, type="o")

(for example)

Many R commands will work, though only the hist(), plot() and lines() work for graphing. There is limited error checking at the moment I'm afraid.

The code continues to be improved and developed. You can download it from:

http://gitorious.org/r-node

One small request - please don't type the R command q() - it will quit the server, stopping it working for everyone! - also, as everyone shares the same session for now, using more unique variable name than 'x' and 'l' will help you.

I am very interested in how you may imagine yourself using something like this - so if you do have any ideas on what you'd like to see, feel free to email me.

Jamie

Jamie Love

Apr 6, 2010, 2:24:50 PM4/6/10
to prot...@googlegroups.com
Ok,

Last post about this until I do something else interesting with protovis -

R-Node now has it's own website:

and it's own mailing list:

and the demo site needs no password access.

Happy graphing,
Jamie