Feedback on a Mega Dropdown menu

brad

Apr 3, 2009, 5:53:43 PM4/3/09
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Hello All,

I'm new to this group and to prototype & script.aculo.us. I've tried
to implement a Mega menu (loosely based on the blog:
http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/03/31/make-a-mega-drop-down-menu-with-jquery/),
and it seems to be working to some degree.

The whole thing is here: http://bradmontgomery.net/megamenu/

I'm using registering observers for mouseover and mouseout and I'm
using Effect.Appear and Effect.Fade with a specified ScopedQueue.

I'm I going about this correctly... are there any caveats to what I'm
doing? I've skimmed some other drop-downs that seem to approach this
differently.

Thanks in advance!

Brad

Pete Brown

Apr 5, 2009, 10:27:04 PM4/5/09
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
I'm sure there are pros and cons to doing a menu like that in
Javascript, but all I can say is that I would ditch the fading
effects. They are unnecessary and sort of annoying.

On Apr 3, 5:53 pm, brad <bkmontgom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm new to this group and to prototype & script.aculo.us.  I've tried
> to implement a Mega menu (loosely based on the blog:http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/03/31/make-a-mega-drop-down-menu-...),

Radoslav Stankov

Apr 6, 2009, 7:23:54 AM4/6/09
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
I prefer BlindUp/BlindDown for these types of menus

brad

Apr 6, 2009, 9:37:18 AM4/6/09
to Prototype & script.aculo.us

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm really just trying to get a consistent cross-browser way of doing
this. If you know a CSS solution that works in IE, I'd be happy to
learn!

I agree the fade effect is a bit contentious...