1.6.1_rc2 checkDeficiency('applet') issue

Greenosity

Apr 17, 2009, 5:44:55 PM4/17/09
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
The call to checkDeficiency('applet') in prototype.js version
1.6.1_rc2 causes a problem with IE 8 on a computer that does not have
Java installed (for me, Vista). Creating the applet element triggers
IE8 to display the following warning:

"The page you are viewing uses Java. ..."

Uh, no it doesn't. This is not good.

kangax

Apr 17, 2009, 10:19:22 PM4/17/09
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Interesting. Can you check what `navigator.javaEnabled()` returns for
you when java is disabled? I wonder if there's any way to test this
behavior without actually causing a warning (is it a modal dialog,
btw?). Maybe global `HTMLAppletElement` is only present when java is
installed? I tried disabling Java plugin in IE8 but a warning never
appears.

--
kangax

Greenosity

Apr 20, 2009, 11:06:50 AM4/20/09
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
IE 8 has issues. Calling navigator.javaEnabled() returns true - even
though I have never installed Java on this particular computer.
Firefox 3.0.6 is correct and returns false.

Using http://www.javatester.org/enabled.html, their test using this:

This web browser can <applet ...>NOT</applet> run Java applets

also causes IE 8 to display the modal pop-up "The page you are using
uses Java. More information on Java support is available from the
Microsoft website. | | Do not show this message again." However,
further down the page, their call to javaEnabled() displays true.
Firefox displays "... NOT run Java applets" and displays false for the
Javascript call.

It's true that a user could simply check the box "Do not show this
message again." but it's misleading and would confuse our users.

FYI, the computer I'm running this on is a MacBook with Windows Vista
(all updates installed) with IE 8 which I just installed a few days
ago. I have never installed Java. I installed IE 8 on this computer
for the sole purpose of testing our web app on IE8. Using the latest
prototype.js, everything looks good so far except for this issue.

--
Patrick

Greenosity

Apr 20, 2009, 11:10:56 AM4/20/09
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
BTW, IE 8 does correctly display "This web browser can NOT run Java
applets." after I acknowledge the modal pop-up.

On Apr 20, 10:06 am, Greenosity <greenos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IE 8 has issues. Calling navigator.javaEnabled() returns true - even
> though I have never installed Java on this particular computer.
> Firefox 3.0.6 is correct and returns false.
>
> Usinghttp://www.javatester.org/enabled.html, their test using this:

Jon

Apr 30, 2009, 10:35:57 AM4/30/09
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
We're getting the same problem, it's not consistently happening but
some pages are more likely to trigger it than others.

I tried some basic debugging (basic is an understatement) and the
following are both TRUE:

HTMLOBJECTELEMENT_PROTOTYPE_BUGGY && HTMLAPPLETELEMENT_PROTOTYPE_BUGGY

I am happy to try any suggestions.

Thanks