Protocol Buffers Specification and the syntax keyword.

Peter Hultqvist

Aug 3, 2013, 5:18:59 AM8/3/13
to Protobuf
Hello

Today I received a pull request on my implementation of protocol buffers to support the "syntax" keyword.
This got me puzzled since I had not read it anywhere before.

My main source has been this document
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/proto
Which does not mention the syntax keyword.

However it is found mentioned here:
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/reference/cpp/google.protobuf.compiler.parser

There is also no mention of escaping which I have heard being used in other cases.

Is there a more complete or up to date specification of the .proto format I might have missed?

Feng Xiao

Aug 5, 2013, 1:08:03 PM8/5/13
to Peter Hultqvist, Protobuf
The "syntax" keyword is only used in Google internally. It's not supported in opensource protobuf.