THE PLOT!

Jaakko Seppälä

May 6, 2011, 7:12:37 PM5/6/11
to project...@googlegroups.com, Ariel Azia
Ok, guys.

My lander team has discovered a mystical Precursor artifact called
"The Plot Development Docs"!
It seems to have very peculiar properties, at least it definitely is
superconductive between the temperatures of 18 and 22 degrees C.
I shall now submit it to your scrutiny via this e-mail.

A short explanation: There's a lot of text, most of it in black, some
in red. Those red text snippets are problems/plot points we've not yet
completely tackled. They definitely need some attention and
suggestions. But don't hesitate to comment that black text either:
Almost nothing is set in stone in this point.

Jaakko Markus Seppälä
the evil, slavering slimelord from outer space

P6014_Plotdevdocs_may7.zip

Edmund Horner

May 8, 2011, 11:47:38 PM5/8/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Well this is pretty great. I had no idea this existed. We should
probably have started on some of this stuff earlier though. :-/

Anyway, can we start picking implementation tasks from the parts that
have stabilised? How should we manage them? (Issues in the issue
tracker, spreadsheet, etc.)

Jaakko Seppälä

May 9, 2011, 4:45:21 AM5/9/11
to project...@googlegroups.com, Ariel Azia
This file has actually been in the works since ... early 2009, I
guess? But yes, the biggest leaps with the plotdevdoc we've taken in
the last three months. Given that we were pretty busy with the demo
still in november/december... well, we could've started toiling away
with the plot in January already, but anyway, here it is now! And now
we could definitely start being more organized about this.

The spreadsheets Cedric used to make were great at least for the
smaller team we had back then. But perhaps the issue tracker is better
since it is more handy to "pass around" than e-mailing .xls files.
Also, there would be no risk of someone operating on an outdated
version of the task list if we used the issue tracker.

if he already isn't on it?

Let's see about the things we could start implementing. Plot/Dialogue:
-The Arilou, Shofixti and Spathi (at least the "setting them straight"
mission) seem to be the most ready at this point. Also the VUX/DAX
plots seem pretty finished to me. We could already start implementing
these? The Shofixti dialogue stuff is prioritized to Ariel.
-Taalo still need fashioning of their character and speech patterns
even though their plot is more or less ready. The same goes for almost
all the new races. Before we can start working on them we must
brainstorm and agree upon what they look like, how they behave, how
they speak. Ideas?
-The Chmmr/Mmrnmhrm are pretty much ready, but we'll have to go
through the suggestions by Ariel (and maybe others soon) before
starting on them.
-The Androsynth are a bit of convoluted mess, but they're my mess ;)
Like Chmmr/Mrn plot, they'll be ready to work on soon.
-Ariel threw in an interesting proposition: The Masterrace/Slaverace
could be Druuge/Burvixese(or Gg) at a new colony. There are several
kinks with this approach, like how come no one knew/mentioned about
other Druuge empires in SC2... but in case we run out of ideas for new
races this is one possible solution. What do you think? I actually
would prefer having new races.

Graphics:
-Except for the "Exotics' gravity bombs", the existence of which is
still a bit uncertain, all the devices listed in the doc are
definitely gonna be in the game. The graphics on these could be
started on.
-We know what Mrns, Androsynth and also Taalo are gonna look like.
These also could be started on. Also, DAX?

Programming:
-At least implementing the hi-eff cargo bay and double rate lander gun
come into mind.

Who wants to do what?

Jaakko

Jaakko

Edmund Horner

May 9, 2011, 5:28:47 AM5/9/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Well I'm just impressed that the secret plot cabal came up with a
virtually complete plot like that. :) I've read it and like it, no real
criticisms. I think it's time to start implementing the plot at least,
so we can get a feel for it. This should be relatively easy compared to
some of the other items.

I vote for using the tracker, at least as a way to coordinate things.
I've no problem with additional spreadsheets/docs/etc. where they may be
more suitable.

Most plot is conversational and there's no harm in putting in skeletal
conversations that let the player run through the plot. Where there are
partial conversations written, we should put them in too even if they're
not complete. I think it will help with motivation if the workers can
see part of the final product working. ;)

To be honest I'm not sure what to do to move the ideas from those docs
into the game.

I might start by making issues for some of the boxes on that
spreadsheet? I'll pick one or two to start with, just to add its
GAME_STATE variables and wire in some conversation to the relevant
races. I'll also make issues for larger items like new ships, devices,
modules. Just to remind us what's outstanding. If there are small
programming tasks that come up, we should make an issue for them. This
provides some introductory tasks for newcomers.

Chris Pearce

May 10, 2011, 8:19:10 PM5/10/11
to project6014-dev

On May 9, 8:45 pm, Jaakko Seppälä <jaakko.markus.sepp...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> -Ariel threw in an interesting proposition: The Masterrace/Slaverace
> could be Druuge/Burvixese(or Gg) at a new colony. There are several
> kinks with this approach, like how come no one knew/mentioned about
> other Druuge empires in SC2... but in case we run out of ideas for new
> races this is one possible solution. What do you think? I actually
> would prefer having new races.

I'm not keen on the idea of the Bruuge/Burvixese/Gg at a new colony
being the master & slave races. But this proposal got me thinking, the
Masterrace could mention that they'd traded with the Druuge before, as
a way to hint to the player that actually they're engaged in slavery,
and not very nice people in general.

Chris Pearce.

Joris van de Donk

May 13, 2011, 1:33:17 PM5/13/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Hey.

Nice document! Quite surprising to see such a large document; I didn't know that this was in the works! :)

Anyways, I've uploaded the document to Google Docs, made a few adjustments (primarily some style/typoes, and I have added some extra explanation text where needed; no actual changes were made to the storyline itself) plus a lot of comments about various things I found odd, or things I thought could use a little improvement. Note that all these comments are actually discussions, so you can reply on them and get e-mail notifications if someone else replies on those comments.

The document can be found at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1--bbT_FXJu5hcN5qCNmeTqU5Ax9nI9aeLBd4jPq1R-E/edit?hl=en&authkey=CMTUvKkM -- Note that anyone with this link can read/edit it, so don't hand it out to anyone else. :P

-Joris

Cedric Horner

May 13, 2011, 11:04:50 PM5/13/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jaakko

Congratulations on producing this, its a major accomplishment. I guess the next step is to incorpate any comments from the wider team as necesary.

After that though we will have to think about implementing this beast of a document.

Any thoughts on how to go about this? Do you need me to assist with mashalling the troops?

Cedric

Edmund Horner

May 14, 2011, 1:57:21 AM5/14/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
If we can, we should try make both steps overlap -- anything that
looks mostly stable can get started sooner rather than later. If
anyone is sitting idle, we should find stuff for them to do now.

Of course we're dependent on a lot of writing, graphics, and audio
being produced. I personally can't do much in those areas but I'm
going to have a shot at implementing some of the plot points and
hopefully we can flesh them out with the media assets when the experts
get round to them...

Jaakko Seppälä

May 14, 2011, 12:18:57 PM5/14/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, guys!

Cedric:
It'd be great indeed to have your help with marshalling troops! I've
assigned the Shofixti dialogue stuff to Ariel Azia (and related
Melnorme dialogue: them telling the player about the Shofixti
legends), but other stuff I haven't yet had time to assign to anybody.
Let alone trying to get new people on board!

Joris:
Thanks for your feedback. You've got several really good points there.
I've started reading through your doc and will start commenting to
that googledoc next week. While I'm at it, I could add Ariel Azia's
feedback into that googledoc since currently he's only e-mailed it to
me as a word doc.

Edmund:
Do you feel like you could start dividing some of the most ready plot
yarns into action items that could be assigned to people? This is an
example of how Ariel's Shofixti stuff is divided:
1. dialog subtree with regular shofixti ship directing you to Beta Gorno III
hint of religious fanaticism should intensify with time.
( a new more omnious line every few months )
2. complete dialog tree with Hiroku
-- general colony and shofixty information (politics, religious)
-- the mythology (reluctant to talk about it)
-- description of religious sect political overtaking overr time
-- quest item related dialog
-- dialog of failure (after suicide)
should be a memorable somber experience for the player
3. historical data on the shofixti from the melnorme (the myth)

Jaakko

Edmund Horner

May 17, 2011, 4:08:51 AM5/17/11
to project...@googlegroups.com, Joris van de Donk
I completely agree with sharing the document and letting the team update
it and add comments. However I'd like to tie it in a bit more closely
with the other files...

Would anyone object if we did either of:

1. Put it in the project Wiki, with the same structure, spread over
multiple pages.
2. Put it as a .doc into the source code in this directory:
http://code.google.com/p/project6014/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fsc2%2Fdoc%2Fmod

I volunteer to do step 1.

Edmund.

Edmund Horner

May 19, 2011, 7:21:05 AM5/19/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Well I did it anyway:  http://code.google.com/p/project6014/wiki/DesignNotes

Hopefully I've picked up all Joris's comments properly.  If there are any other additions to that doc, I'll port them too.  Though it would be nice if we just defaulted to updating the Wiki. ;-)

Edmund.

On 17/05/2011 7:52 p.m., Edmund Horner wrote:
I completely agree with sharing the document and letting the team update it and add comments.  However I'd like to tie it in a bit more closely with the other files...

Would anyone object if we did either:

1. Put it in the project Wiki, with the same structure, spread over multiple pages.
2. Put it as a .doc into the source code in this directory: http://code.google.com/p/project6014/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fsc2%2Fdoc%2Fmod

I volunteer to do the step 1 (since I have

Edmund.

Jaakko Seppälä

May 25, 2011, 11:40:01 AM5/25/11
to project...@googlegroups.com, Ariel Azia, Chris Pearce
'ey all!

I've been perusing the plotdevdoc suggestions and been making headway.
At first I commented back all the comments in the Wiki, but also added
all the stuff in the .doc file in the end: I found the .doc file
easier to read than the singular wiki items.

Thanks to Megagun's and Ariel's comprehensive review of the
plotdevdoc, plus everyone else's comments (you know who you are ;)
we've made again a lot of progress.
- The Slylandro/umgah plot is now more logical and also more fun, and
it also hosts a possibility to bring an annoying Umgah scientist NPC
onboard!
- Also, the Arilou guard plus orzspace entering plots work better now
and feature a new choice for the player to make. What do you think?
- Various odds and ends with Melnorme, Mrns, Earthlings and other
races have been amended, making this whole shebang yet more solid.
- It's beginning to look apparent that there is no bullet-proof
solution for the Kohr-Ah menace... and nobody actually wants to come
up with one, me included. We can do well without a "final solution"
for the Kohr-Ah. Let's exterminate them in the next sequel ;)

The biggest unsolved thingys: (see the newest attached .doc or Wiki)
- Do we make the Exotics directly communicable or not?

- Is the Black orb a insta-communication tool like Megagun suggested?
I actually like this approach. It would explain nicely why the Exotics
notice it. It could still be gravitational technology, and we could
still leave it vague to the player what it actually is. The other
suggestion Megagun made was that the rainbow worlds could be
Precursors' attempt to duplicate this technology! They act as a
cheaper, larger, yet less effective version of the orbs since the
Precs just aren't as good in the gravitational tech as those who made
the Orbs. (If we make the Exotics directly communicable, the Black Orb
could be then a part of the exotics communication tool. Like Ultron's
rosy sphere & co.)

- Do we want to have the Umgah Scientist NPC onboard?

- Can the Lurg be thrown under the Exotics' bus? Since apparently we
don't want to give a final solution to the Kohr-Ah, it would be nice
to have some sort of resolution for the Lurg problem. (In SC2 there
weren't many races that couldn't be "solved", mainly VUX).

- Names for the slave- and masterrace? Zrunti and Tanashov, anyone? ;)

- Plotwise the Yehat still are little more than "the followers of
Chmmr"... and the Spathi are completely useless :-p Ideas?

Jaakko

- It does seem a illogical that all these civilizations cannot support
a small fleet. The lander mini game is nice, so now we need good
reasons for the plot why it is still necessary to gather minerals!

-Project6014 Plot development May25.doc
-Project 6014 Plot outline - May25.xls

Joris van de Donk

Jun 3, 2011, 4:16:56 PM6/3/11
to project...@googlegroups.com, Ariel Azia, Chris Pearce
Hey,

There's a thing that has been nibbling at my mind regarding the Master/Slaverace subplot. The MasterRace have been described as wanting to join the NAFS so that they could replicate the slave shield technology for usage on the SlaveRace. Although a good motive, I think that this plan would be destined to fail. There's no way that the NAFS wouldn't find out about the SlaveRace in the approval process, unless it was only part of the MasterRace that subjugated the SlaveRace..

Furthermore, I felt like a detailed race description of the Master and Slave races, plus the interaction between both, were missing or vague.

I've come up with a potential solution to both of these problems, but at a cost: my new idea for the Master and Slave races pretty much completely changes everything... :)
Either way, here goes.. But first, a list of sources of inspiration:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrint - The Thrintun (MasterRace inspiration)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tnuctipun - The Tnuctipun (SlaveRace inspiration)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game) - The Paranoia Role playing game (MasterRace culture/society/government inspiration).

-----

MasterRace

The MasterRace are a race with the ability to naturally detect if they can influence another individual, and if their attempts at influence have been succesful. This ability is based mostly on body language and behaviour. This has made them true masters of domination, and their whole culture is based around this ability. Unfortunately, this 'Ability' has the limitation that one individual needs to see and hear another individual in order to determine how well they can influence the to-be-influenced individual.

The core idea is that one individual (the 'Master') has a group of others directly under his control (the 'Slaves', members of the MasterRace), and the Slaves constantly try to overthrow their Master so that they can have more control over the path the MasterRace is going. The Masters, however, constantly try to squash attempts at overthrowing (treason!), so that they can maintain control. Their usage of the Ability allows them to usually keep their Slaves in check.

This core idea, combined with the limitation of the Ability that they need visuals and audio, has resulted in a hierarchical (pyramidical) dictatorial form of society/government. There is a single true leader of the MasterRace, who dominates a set of other individuals (as many as he can without risking to be overthrown). Each of these also dominates a set of other individuals, each of which..., each of which..., etc. Those that are skilled at the Ability float to the top of the pyramid, and those that suck at it float to the bottom or get overthrown (perhaps even killed in the process).

To make things easy, every individual of the MasterRace is ranked according to the number of citizens that he dominates directly or indirectly. Thus, the rank of the single true leader of the MasterRace is the number of MasterRace individuals minus one. A higher rank means that someone controls a larger part of the MasterRace.

Interestingly, the intelligence of an individual is the inverse of their skills in the Ability: the smartest members of the MasterRace suck the most at the Ability. This has led to a society where the 'upper class' (higher ranked) citizens aren't intelligent, whereas the 'lower class' (lower ranked) citizens are the most intelligent (and have a huge chain of domination (Master-Slave relationships) above them). Even more interestingly, the more intelligent individuals are better at hiding acts of treason from their Masters. In practice, this means that although the higher ranked individuals have more control over the MasterRace as a whole, the lower ranked individuals are far more capable of making radical shifts to the path of the MasterRace - they unfortunately just don't have a large enough following (in terms of domination) to actually shift the way the MasterRace is going as a whole.

Perhaps the most interesting and hilarious thing of all? Only the intelligent individuals know of the Ability-Intelligence tradeoff, and they're far too scared and smart to share this information with others. After all, should this tradeoff become public knowledge, most intelligent individuals would be cleansed from the MasterRace society! Consider this to be one of the ways the player can influence the MasterRace/SlaveRace part of the game. :)

Unfortunately, this pyramidical dictatorship of the MasterRace has a few drawbacks:
-Perhaps the most visible to the player would be that a lot of MasterRace individuals are rather paranoid. Paranoid that their Slaves will overthrow them, but also paranoid that their Masters may see them as traitors.
-The MasterRace has a relatively small Sphere of Influence due to the trouble of communicating using visuals and audio in interstellar space. As soon as someone stops being reachable, their Masters believe that they're committing acts of treason and will attempt to destroy the traitor. This has severely limited the speed at which the MasterRace could expand. If the player could somehow obtain some kind of device that can block interstellar communication, they could use it to dominate MasterRace individuals; leverage their fear of being seen as a traitor.
-The MasterRace moves forward technologically and ideologically relatively slow when compared with other races. A lot of individuals are scared that any new ideas they put forth may be seen as acts of treason, or may cause their Slaves to commit acts of treason. And the only individual that doesn't have a Master is far too dumb to help the MasterRace improve severely.
-The MasterRace are rather xenophobic. Conspiring with aliens may be seen as acts of treason. The less xenophobic individuals are the higher-ranked ones, but those aren't always the ones you'd want to talk to!
-The number of MasterRace individuals changes rapidly. Some people get overthrown and killed, entire chains of individuals get slaughtered. Imagine one individual having some radical idea, and controlling all of his direct and indirect Slaves to follow this idea, and then his Master finds out and thinks that this idea is a form of treason. The traitor and all his direct and indirect Slaves will get slaughtered.

Random bits of thoughts:
-The MasterRace do not have words for "parent", "child", "father" and "mother". Although they reproduce in similar ways as we do, as soon as a MasterRace individual is born, his true father and mother forget about him and place him somewhere at the bottom bits of the MasterRace pyramid. This also means that usually, the father or mother of a MasterRace individual dominates the other, so that they can both have indirect control of yet another MasterRace individual. A bit like the way Druuge approach procreation, I guess.
-Higher-ranked MasterRace individuals can be found near the center of their Sphere of Influence, and lower-ranked individuals can be found near the outskirts of their SoI. After all, Masters have to stay close to their Slaves. Some different 'families'/'branches' of the MasterRace pyramid could be in control of different 'slices' of the MasterRace Sphere of Influence. Kind of like a tree data structure mapped onto the shape of a sphere, if that makes sense. See http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bethe_lattice.PNG

Now, as far as the SlaveRace involvement with the MasterRace goes, you might be wondering how a xenophobic race is capable of subjugating another race. Well..

SlaveRace involvement with the MasterRace

Early on in the MasterRace's dabbling in interstellar travel, they located another alien race very close to them, the SlaveRace. It became clear that the SlaveRace were pretty intelligent and had technology that faciliated proper high-speed communication (HyperWave!). Immediately, every MasterRace individual wanted to dominate the SlaveRace to obtain the technology that would allow them to more easily check up on their Slaves. This caused a significant part of the MasterRace to migrate towards the SlaveRace star system, but it also caused a significant part of the MasterRace to die out due to internal conflicts. It is theorized that about 95% of the MasterRace died out whilst travelling from their own home star system to the SlaveRace's star system.

The SlaveRace are physically rather weak, and were quickly subjugated by the MasterRace. They lived on a very peaceful world, which had the side-effect that they had virtually no weapons to use against the MasterRace.

Within the MasterRace's pyramidical dictatorship, the SlaveRace are everywhere, yet they're not allowed to have any slaves themselves. A lot of MasterRace Masters have a group of SlaveRace individuals that they control. Usually, the Masters try to stay close to their SlaveRace Slaves, so that they can keep them in check. If they're unable to stay close to them, they'll assign one of their MasterRace Slaves to oversee the SlaveRace Slaves. This is why all SlaveRace ships have at least one MasterRace individual onboard.

Generally, the interaction between the MasterRace and SlaveRace individuals is peaceful: the MasterRace individuals protect their SlaveRace slaves, and the SlaveRace individuals produce technology for the MasterRace. To the player, it would initially appear that there isn't any slavery going on, except that it seems rather odd that they'll communicate with MasterRace individuals when contacting the SlaveRace homeworld and their ships. However, the xenophobic nature of the MasterRace tends to keep these conversations short.

The SlaveRace are used within the MasterRace society to invent technology and keep existing technology running. Most of the MasterRace ship design comes from the SlaveRace. They'll look a lot like eachother for this very reason, but the SlaveRace ships are much more geared towards exploration and have little or weak weaponry.

The SlaveRace and MasterRace Spheres of Influence are centered around the same solar system, yet the SlaveRace Sphere is larger (they tend to be used for exploration and expansion of the MasterRace Sphere of Influence).

Although it would at first appear that the SlaveRace don't mind the MasterRace's involvement in their lives, at one point it will become clear to the player that they do. After all, the SlaveRace used to live in a near-utopia where they could invent things as they wished. Now, they're primarily used to invent forms of weaponry and surveillance systems. To regain their freedom, the SlaveRace are meddling with all the technology that they produce. For example, they'll sometimes wire HyperWave communications on MasterRace ships to stop responding to the Master of the Captain of said MasterRace ship. HyperWave broadcasts are probably what will alert the player about the slavery going on between the MasterRace and SlaveRace (hidden messages!), but it could also be some incident where the player shoots down a SlaveRace ship, and a few SlaveRace members survived the crash whilst their controlling Master died.

The Player will still have various ways of dealing with the MasterRace-SlaveRace situation:
-Kill off parts of the MasterRace by controlling them using a communications blackout device, and having chains of MasterRace individuals die (drawback: also slaughters some of the SlaveRace guys!)
-Attempt to resolve the situation peacefully by backing the lower-ranked intelligent MasterRace individuals. Both the MasterRace and SlaveRace will lose a few guys, however.
-Alert the MasterRace about the SlaveRace potential rebellion, causing loads of SlaveRace guys to die, but getting your own personal chain of MasterRace individuals as a reward for doing so. A private army, how useful! :)
-Know about the Ability-Intelligence tradeoff and communicate it to the MasterRace, thus getting intelligent MasterRace individuals killed off.

----

Well, that's it. Comments? Suggestions? Nitpicks? Alternative race descriptions for the MasterRace and SlaveRace? I must admit I haven't thought as much about the SlaveRace involvement in the MasterRace society, so I bet that that could use some work.

One of the things I tried to keep in mind whilst thinking about this was that it would have to integrate neatly with some other ideas that have been floating around. If we want to, we could use the MasterRace-SlaveRace situation to explain some of the communication tool ideas (Exotics comm tool / rainbow worlds) floating around. We could also use the 'player getting their own private army' scenario as some kind of place to go to if Hayes and the guys at Earth decide that they should break contact with Zelnick..

-Joris "Megagun" van de Donk

Ariel Azia

Jun 4, 2011, 10:53:25 AM6/4/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Joris,

First, I think your plot arc has great potential.
Now for my thoughts:

Niven's ancients are fun, but the history of the two races you have suggested
is similar to the dnyarri and ur-quan story. If we choose to adapt your idea,
you need to make it more distinct How about we combine your idea with
the Gou'auld? this way the master race is hiding in plain sight.

The master race is a parasitic entity that instructs the host to act
in the parasite's best interest. I think most of what you have written
creates no conflict,
including the near-utopian past of the slave race.
perhaps you can learn of the past the slave race from the Xen-Weyi who know
them as completely different from their current status

I personally love the paranoia aspect, the dialog should be fun to write.

I think obvious good and evil choices (once the protagonist becomes aware
of this) are to free the slave race or gain control over the master
race "programming"

An idea to tie in this plot arc to UQM will involve the Spathi, as
they are the paranoid
archtype. perhaps the master race and the spathi are related genetically
maybe the spathi are also under the influence of this parasite, but
the host race
was susceptible to this control to begin with. regardless, the
protagonist will take
advantage of this fact.

Obviously a Taalo mind shield could be useful if we are going with
telepathic domination.

that's it for now
Ariel

Joris van de Donk

Jun 9, 2011, 2:33:28 PM6/9/11
to project...@googlegroups.com, Chris Pearce, Ariel Azia
Hey,

Thanks for your comments. Of course, I have some of my own about what you wrote. :)

Niven's ancients are fun, but the history of the two races you have suggested
is similar to the dnyarri and ur-quan story.
Hmm, I don't really see the similarity. The Dnyarri/Ur-Quan thing was largely based on physical and mental dominance of the Dnyarri towards the Ur-Quan. The Ur-Quan were mostly helpless and were nearly completely mind-controlled. My scenario is based far more on a cooperation kind of thing between the MasterRace and SlaveRace. At the very least, the SlaveRace don't seem to mind too much.
This did get me thinking, though: how about instead of having a peaceful past, the SlaveRace have a past filled with horrors? Perhaps they could have been at war with some other alien race, and the MasterRace saved them from the other race in exchange for their technological support? This will make it clear to the player that it used to be somewhat of a coöperation that has slowly gone sour, and the SlaveRace are slowly beginning to hate the idea of being controlled by the MasterRace, which prompted them to start a silent guerilla rebellion.

How about we combine your idea with
the Gou'auld? this way the master race is hiding in plain sight.
Hm, an interesting suggestion (I didn't really know anything about the Goa'uld), but I think that wouldn't really solve the problem I had the intention of fixing: should the SlaveRace or MasterRace join the NAFS, the NAFS is going to learn about the slavering quite early on. Also, wouldn't having them be like the goa'uld effectively get rid of the MasterRace entirely? Furthermore, I fear that IF they are indeed a symbiote-type creature, there is only really one or two ways to resolve the conflict. Most of those solutions to the problem would kill off the MasterRace, unfortunately.

I personally love the paranoia aspect, the dialog should be fun to write.
Yes, that's what I thought. I'm picturing the paranoia more as a Cold-War esque form of paranoia, though. Not really too obvious, but once you start noticing that it's there it might get quite interesting and hilarious. Subtle, yet effective. I think that most of SC2's writing was like that, which is probably why it was so damned great. :D

An idea to tie in this plot arc to UQM will involve the Spathi, as
they are the paranoid
archtype.
Hm, yeah. I guess the Spathi could be *very* interested in getting to know the SlaveRace.. Get them to develop some cool useful tech for the Spathi. We all know what kind of tech the Spathi would like.. :)
To make things more interesting, we could make it so that freeing the SlaveRace results in the departure/disappearance of the Spathi (wormhole tech? slaveshields?). If we make it obvious to the player that this is going to happen, they'll get to make quite an interesting decision: lose the Spathi, or lose the SlaveRace... Say, didn't we need some more plot for the Spathi, anyways? Perhaps we can have some cameo appearance from Fwiffo? :)

perhaps the master race and the spathi are related genetically
maybe the spathi are also under the influence of this parasite, but
the host race
was susceptible to this control to begin with. regardless, the
protagonist will take
advantage of this fact.
Sorry, this is far too retconny for me. On the other hand, what about if we somewhat allude to the mythical Black Spathi Squadron perhaps possibly being under the influence of some alien race? :)

Obviously a Taalo mind shield could be useful if we are going with
telepathic domination.
Yeah, this is why I initially went for a non-telepathic form of domination; I'm sure the original Taalo shield might still float somewhere around in space, or other Taalo shields might be found somewhere else, and this would make this entire subplot way too easy to resolve... ;)

that's it for now
Ariel
Thanks again for your comments! :)
Apologies if anyone (Chris/Ariel?) got this e-mail twice.

Ariel Azia

Jun 12, 2011, 5:32:23 AM6/12/11
to Joris van de Donk, project...@googlegroups.com, Chris Pearce
> Hm, yeah. I guess the Spathi could be *very* interested in getting to know
> the SlaveRace.. Get them to develop some cool useful tech for the Spathi. We
> all know what kind of tech the Spathi would like.. :)
> To make things more interesting, we could make it so that freeing the
> SlaveRace results in the departure/disappearance of the Spathi (wormhole
> tech? slaveshields?). If we make it obvious to the player that this is going
> to happen, they'll get to make quite an interesting decision: lose the
> Spathi, or lose the SlaveRace... Say, didn't we need some more plot for the
> Spathi, anyways? Perhaps we can have some cameo appearance from Fwiffo? :)

I previously suggested that the Spathi leave with their entire solar
system (a la puppeteers)
so it is reasonable they need require such technology from somewhere.
I did suggest to tie this
with the gravitational theme of the exotics somehow.

>> perhaps the master race and the spathi are related genetically
>> maybe the spathi are also under the influence of this parasite, but
>> the host race
>> was susceptible to this control to begin with. regardless, the
>> protagonist will take
>> advantage of this fact.
>
> Sorry, this is far too retconny for me. On the other hand, what about if we
> somewhat allude to the mythical Black Spathi Squadron perhaps possibly being
> under the influence of some alien race? :)

So should the two races share more than just similar mindsets?

>> Obviously a Taalo mind shield could be useful if we are going with
>> telepathic domination.
>
> Yeah, this is why I initially went for a non-telepathic form of domination;
> I'm sure the original Taalo shield might still float somewhere around in
> space, or other Taalo shields might be found somewhere else, and this would
> make this entire subplot way too easy to resolve... ;)

Joris, overall the plot arc is established.
But you need a few characters before I can really feel the story.
Specifically, what emotions are conveyed by these representatives
during the plot arc?

Jaakko Seppälä

Jun 19, 2011, 6:17:27 PM6/19/11
to project...@googlegroups.com, Joris van de Donk, Chris Pearce
Hi, guys! Sorry for my lack of involvement during the last couple of
weeks. Finishing my school, getting a new job and buying a car have
been taking my time, but I'm finally getting my shit together :)

Megagun, Your MasterRace character and plot descriptions kick some
serious butt!
Here's some thoughts.

MASTERRACE:
-"The intelligence of a MasterRace individual is the inverse of their
skills in the Ability..." is just that interesting 'something' that
these new races in the plotdevdoc have yet been lacking! It creates a
dramatic tension into the society and the very nature of the race.
After all, the thing about the races in SC2 was that each of them had
a unique character, which was reflected on their society. This is just
that. It's also great that the player gets an option to use this
knowledge (if he obtains it) to affect the game!
Your MasterRace not only contains the eastern block authoritarian
control type of paranoia (East Germany, USSR), but also something from
mother Russia... many of the classic authors like Dostoyevski have
pondered the "russian nature", which makes a man grovel in front of
his superiors and cruelly trample those that are beneath him in the
society. I think this is good: Your MasterRace is not an obvious
allegory of either, but still contains echoes of something very
recognizable.

-"Every individual of the MasterRace is ranked according to the number
of citizens that he dominates..." is a cool idea. The number could be
used in the dialogue exactly like we use the ranks Captain, Major and
so forth, like "Attention, unknown alien, this is 268124867 of
MasterRace..." without any further explanation at first.
It would arouse interest and would spawn some more dialogue choices.
Of course, the average dumb Masterracer would not (and could not since
he doesn't know) reveal everything about the control
ability/intelligence stuff, just the basics about the number of
controlled individuals.

-All in all there's not much I would change about the MasterRace and
am willing to overthrow the old MasterRace from the doc and substitute
it with your vision... (a true MasterRace individual would approve of
this kind of action, no? ;)

SLAVERACE:
As you said, whilst your MasterRace is thorough and well fashioned,
SlaveRace still needs some more work done on it. Currently the race is
functional but pretty generic. It lacks that personality and
originality that the MasterRace has.

The "past filled with horrors and a co-operation gone sour" is much
better than the "evolved on a very peaceful world" scenario. The
latter just feels quite implausible to me and on the other hand has
been done quite a many times. A slow resentment that has been slowly
building up in the Slaverace towards the Masterrace is a great shaper
of their character! It alone makes them so much more concrete than the
vague "peaceful hi-tech beings" premise. So I suggest we go with the
plan that in the beginning the Masterrace/slaverace relationship
(perhaps) benefited both, but now they're on the brink of the
slaverace rebellion.

At first I thought that whilst the communication blackout device is an
interesting proposal, there might be a tad too many options with it in
the plot. I also thought that we should have in its place an
alternative "-Assist the SlaveRace rebellion and kill off a lot of
MasterRace in the process",
but then I realized: The communication blackout device IS the way to
assist the SlaveRace rebellion! The SlaveRace, being technically
superior, has secretly developed such a device. But they lack freedom
to move to activate and utilize it in suitable locations. So, they
give you the device if you agree to help them. You can either assist
their rebellion or rat them out to the MasterRace. How 'bout it?

SPATHI:
We do need more stuff for the Spathi... but using slaverace tech for
this is a bit tricky. If it was slaveshield that the slaverace
develops for them, it could just be cracked open again by the Chmmr or
the player with the shieldbuster. The wormhole tech which allows
escaping to some unknown place en masse is better: the slaverace would
want to use it themselves, but they can't since the masterracers are
amongst their planets, many of them are on masterrace planets and they
don't have the freedom to move about in general.
However, there might be too many "hi-tech oriented races" with this
approach: Androsynth, Xen-Weyi and the SlaveRace. But then again, we
could have the Xen-Weyi not be all about tech, but instead they excel
only in the bio-engineering plants department since it was mandatory
for the race to develop something like them to survive under the slave
shield.

Ariel: Do you have thought further about tying in the Spathi with the
gravity theme somehow? How would the Spathi acquire the tech?

Jaakko

Jaakko Seppälä

Jun 19, 2011, 7:13:00 PM6/19/11
to project...@googlegroups.com, Joris van de Donk, Chris Pearce
What ensues if the player decides to get all the smart MasterRacers
killed off by revealing the Ability-Intelligence tradeoff?

Maybe that would lead to the worst option: The
now-dumb-as-fuck-masterracers would eliminate the Slaverace as the
first thing they do since they don't want any "foreign influence"
polluting their culture. And they would pretty soon kill themselves or
render themselves incapable because of their stupidity somehow.
So this choosing this alternative would practically result in the
destruction of both species.

Jaakko

Ariel Azia

Jun 20, 2011, 5:55:22 AM6/20/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
> Ariel: Do you have thought further about tying in the Spathi with the
> gravity theme somehow? How would the Spathi acquire the tech?
>
> Jaakko

As I said before, In my suggested plot arc, the Spathi wish to "pull"
their sun out of the quadrant.
They need a gradual but consistent gravitational pull, this sounds
very similar to what the exotics can do,
or something the exotics can take a great interest in, that is the tie
in to the major plot.
Stopping the Spathi from doing this might buy some more time before
the arrival of the exotics, for example.

Who is helping the Spathi to accomplish this? suggestions:
- Someone who was paid for their services (like the Melnorne).

- Someone who is interested in getting rid of the spathi for some reason?
(maybe all spathi know a terrible secret about the ultimate evil?
maybe they are frightened and paranoid
with a good basic cause), I am not sure who would that be.

- A really smart and charismatic Spathi (one that was born with what
may be considered backbone
in spathi standards). Obviously it can be based on another race's
technology, but If we go with a Spathi
then we get another character that may be fun to write.

BTW I don't think there should be such a thing as too many "Hi tech
oriented". Technology is power and
each race can strive to develop technology that suits its psyche.

The slave race rely on developing new technology to appease the master
race, so they have a very ambivalent approach
to it, while the Androsynth treat science a little like religion. (as
a suggestion)

Ariel

Jaakko Seppälä

Jun 20, 2011, 12:42:02 PM6/20/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Having the Spathi / Melnorme be able to communicate with the Exotics
does have some problems: If the Exotics are near undecipherable, or
take a lot of effort from the player to put together proper devices to
communicate with, it'll be a bit of letdown to hear that the
Spathi/Melnorme have been able to talk to the guys all along.
The NAFS would probably be offering huge rewards to anyone who would
come up with a way to communicate with these strange beings that are
coming to destroy the galaxy and this would most probably make
Melnorme spill their guts. This would make finding an "exotics
communications device" unnecessary since the Melnorme already seem to
have one. Or if it was only Spathi how would they have the tech to
communicate with the Exotics?

It depends so much on how we eventually shape the Exotics. But I'm a
bit leery about other races making alliances / being able to
communicate properly with them.

Yeah, technology is a medium that every race will and must develop to
some extent. It becomes problem if tech itself becomes THE defining
characteristic for many races. But as you said, the slaverace can have
an ambivalent approach to technology (or somehow else differ from the
androsynth attitudes). However, then the slaverace also need something
else defining their character, in addition to being tech wizards.
Otherwise they'll be quite hollow. I bet Joris is cooking up something
good for them!

Jaakko

Chris Pearce

Jun 22, 2011, 5:50:03 AM6/22/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Hi All, my thoughts on the Master/Slave races are splattered below.

On 4/06/2011 8:16 a.m., Joris van de Donk wrote:

MasterRace

The MasterRace are a race with the ability to naturally detect if they can influence another individual, and if their attempts at influence have been succesful. This ability is based mostly on body language and behaviour.
[...]

Interestingly, the intelligence of an individual is the inverse of their skills in the Ability: the smartest members of the MasterRace suck the most at the Ability.

I think this idea has promise, but I don't buy the Ability = inverse of intelligence premise. Take humans as an example. The most successful leaders are not only charismatic, but smart. Countries and groups with morons in charge tend to not last long at all.

If the Ability is to not be psychic domination (and I think there's general consensus that it shouldn't) then I think it makes more sense for the Ability to be an evolutionary phenomenon.

So I propose we twist this idea, but keep its core. The MasterRace are like peacocks; they have plumage or equivalent. Their evolutionary/genetic history compells them to believe that the MasterRace member with the most spectacular plumage and martial prowess have been touched by their gods, and must be obeyed. Their culture nurtures this belief, and so the individuals with good plumage generally grow up bossing people around, and those with runty plumage naturally feel compelled to obey them. The prime individuals develop talents related to bossing people around and winning ritual challenges to establish pecking order, whereas the runts tend to spend their time in nerdy pursuits. Similar to how the stereotypical nerd is smart but socially awkward, and the beauty queen is beautiful and more social, but isn't as smart. It never occurs to the runts that they could be running the show; it's simply not in their cultural psyche.

This also goes along with the idea that audio/visual communication is necessary for MasterRacers to exert control over others: seeing superior plumage strongly encourages subordination.

When two MasterRace individuals with similarly spectacular plumage meet, they determine superiority via a ritual challenge. This starts with the combatants staring down their opponent, and the individual with the lesser will to dominate often simply backs down at this point. If neither backs down, they fight (not normally to the death, that's unsustainable), and submits to the authority of the winner. The loser may still attempt to usurp power using nefarious means (say poison, or a knife in the back). The emperor is known for his ability to reduce challengers to trembling dolts with a passing glance.

The SlaveRace has the dubious luck of evolving in a star system near the MasterRace's, and with a similar evolutionary heritage. The SlaveRace are however naturally less endowed by comparison. When independent, they naturally formed hierarchical societies based on plumage. When the MasterRace descended from the heavens, the SlaveRace naturally assumed their own subservience, and fell in line.

On 20/06/2011 10:17 a.m., Jaakko Seppälä wrote:
-"Every individual of the MasterRace is ranked according to the number
of citizens that he dominates..." is a cool idea.  The number could be
used in the dialogue exactly like we use the ranks Captain, Major and
so forth, like "Attention, unknown alien, this is 268124867 of
MasterRace..." without any further explanation at first.

Though I like the mystery this conveys, I doubt the MasterRace central authority would bother maintaining a database stretching across the light years of space to record who was who's bitch. ;)

How about each Captain denote themselves by who their master is? "Greetings, this is Finklehen with Superior Lustrous Plumage, Vassal of Bluechuk, the High Lord of Most Wondrous Rainbow Feathers. Whom do you serve?"

Random bits of thoughts:
-The MasterRace do not have words for "parent", "child", "father" and "mother". Although they reproduce in similar ways as we do, as soon as a MasterRace individual is born, his true father and mother forget about him and place him somewhere at the bottom bits of the MasterRace pyramid.

I don't think this is necessary. After all, the easiest way to gain people to dominate is to reproduce and dominate your offspring.

One of the things I tried to keep in mind whilst thinking about this was that it would have to integrate neatly with some other ideas that have been floating around. If we want to, we could use the MasterRace-SlaveRace situation to explain some of the communication tool ideas (Exotics comm tool / rainbow worlds) floating around. We could also use the 'player getting their own private army' scenario as some kind of place to go to if Hayes and the guys at Earth decide that they should break contact with Zelnick..

Maybe Zelnick could disguise himself as a particularly spectacular prime individual, and order to MasterRace to do something to further the plot?

On 10/06/2011 6:33 a.m., Joris van de Donk wrote:
This did get me thinking, though: how about instead of having a peaceful past, the SlaveRace have a past filled with horrors?

I also like this idea. Perhaps the SlaveRace's society was particularly brutal, and they were routinely blasting themselves back to the stone age with atomic weapons when the MasterRace turned up and taught them to settle their differences less violently?

I personally love the paranoia aspect, the dialog should be fun to write.
Yes, that's what I thought. I'm picturing the paranoia more as a Cold-War esque form of paranoia, though. Not really too obvious, but once you start noticing that it's there it might get quite interesting and hilarious. Subtle, yet effective. I think that most of SC2's writing was like that, which is probably why it was so damned great. :D

I agree! :)

On 21/06/2011 4:42 a.m., Jaakko Seppälä wrote:
It depends so much on how we eventually shape the Exotics. But I'm a
bit leery about other races making alliances / being able to
communicate properly with them.

Agreed, the Exotics work best if they can't be directly spoken to or bargained with.  They're not rational in the sense that the NAFS members are.

It becomes problem if tech itself becomes THE defining
characteristic for many races.

Ultimately what makes a good story is good characters and interaction and dialog, fancy technology can be cool, but it's the characters that makes the story shine.

On 20/06/2011 9:55 p.m., Ariel Azia wrote:
As I said before, In my suggested plot arc, the Spathi wish to "pull"
their sun out of the quadrant.
They need a gradual but consistent gravitational pull, this sounds
very similar to what the exotics can do,
or something the exotics can take a great interest in, that is the tie
in to the major plot.
Stopping the Spathi from doing this might buy some more time before
the arrival of the exotics, for example.

Moving a planet anywhere using a slow gravitational pull would take millions of years through the cold depths of space. The planet's atmosphere would freeze and the planet would die. The only way this could be made feasible is a hyperdrive capable of moving a planet. :D

Ariel Azia

Jun 22, 2011, 6:12:09 AM6/22/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
> Moving a planet anywhere using a slow gravitational pull would take millions
> of years through the cold depths of space. The planet's atmosphere would
> freeze and the planet would die. The only way this could be made feasible is
> a hyperdrive capable of moving a planet. :D

chris, they are moving their entire solar system!
are you saying this technology is science fiction ? :)
a gigantic hyperspace module .. hmm. maybe it can be powered by a sun nearby.
maybe the energy from that neighbor sun can be drained and start to
accelerate the whole spathi solar system.
if the other sun is far enough, it should be unfelt by the planets
themselves ( astrophysics buffs, correct me)

Chris Pearce

Jun 22, 2011, 6:49:24 PM6/22/11
On 22/06/2011 10:12 p.m., Ariel Azia wrote:
>> Moving a planet anywhere using a slow gravitational pull would take millions
>> of years through the cold depths of space. The planet's atmosphere would
>> freeze and the planet would die. The only way this could be made feasible is
>> a hyperdrive capable of moving a planet. :D
> chris, they are moving their entire solar system!
> are you saying this technology is science fiction ? :)

Ah, I was a little rushed when writing my reply. I also couldn't find
your original proposal of this plot arc, was it sent to project6014-dev?

> a gigantic hyperspace module .. hmm. maybe it can be powered by a sun nearby.
> maybe the energy from that neighbor sun can be drained and start to
> accelerate the whole spathi solar system.

Moving a solar system at any speed less than a significantly large
fraction of the speed of light seems rather pointless to me. It's likely
the Spathi race would be extinct by the time their solar system arrived
at its intended destination.

I can only assume moving an entire solar system using a hyperdrive would
require a god-like amount of energy. Consuming nearby stars, and the
stars you pass by would be one way you could rationalize this.

Chris.

Joris van de Donk

Jun 23, 2011, 6:42:08 AM6/23/11
to project...@googlegroups.com
Well, the Sun Device might contain a lot of energy. At the very least, it could be used to move Spathiwa without moving the entire solar system, and whilst preventing the atmosphere to freeze over.

I do agree though that moving the planet or solar system is a bit silly, even though Niven did something extremely similar with the race the Spathi are based on.

How about this: the Spathi try to collaborate with whoever has been responsible for the closure of the Quasispace portals. Their goal: close the Hyperspace portal that leads to the Spathi solar system in Truespace!

-Joris