Project Voldemort 0.81 released

Alex Feinberg

Jun 17, 2010, 12:05:45 AM6/17/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Project Voldemort 0.81 is out of the candidate stage and has been
released. You can get the release from
http://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/downloads

Additionally, you can browse the source code in the release-081 branch
on github: http://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/tree/release-081

Below are the release notes for this release, also viewable at
http://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/blob/release-081/release_notes.txt

Changes made since 0.80.2:

* IMPORTANT: we have upgraded the Hadoop Core jar to v0.20.2. Since
this version of Hadoop requires Java 6, in order to retain backwards
compatibility with Java 5, you will need to replace this jar with
the Hadoop 0.18.* core jar.
* Multiple donors for Voldemort Rebalancing: speeds up rebalancing, by
allowing a single stealer node to transfer partitions from multiple
nodes
* Features for EC2 Testing
* Read-only Stores: backwards compatibility with 0.70, bug fix in
Checksum code
* Hadoop InputFormat, Pig LoadFunc in Contrib: ability to perform
Map/Reduce (either directly via Hadoop or using Pig) over data in
Voldemort stores. See:
< contrib/hadoop/test/voldemort/hadoop/VoldemortWordCount.java > for
an example.
* Voldemort Performance Tool: performance measurement tool based on
YCSB (Yahoo Cloud Serving Benchmark) code. Run
< bin/voldemort-performance-tool.sh --help > for more information.
* Reverted default failure detector implementation back to
BannagedPeriodFailureDetector due to potential bugs in the
ThresholdFailureDetector

Thanks,
- Alex

Jay Kreps

Jun 17, 2010, 1:37:52 AM6/17/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Also, we are now requiring java 6. Which I imagine makes some people
inexplicably happy and others understandably sad. :-)

-Jay

Alex Feinberg

Jun 17, 2010, 1:55:02 AM6/17/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com
As mentioned in the release notes, it's possible to use Java 5 (by
removing the Hadoop jars and/or replacing them with an older version
of Hadoop). Similarly, in the future, we'll also going to be using a
mainstream version of Avro as well, as opposed to a custom version of
Avro we've built for Java 5.

The project itself doesn't use any Java 6 language features (e.g.,
@Override on interfaces) or any Jdk6 libraries (e.g.,
ConcurrentSkipList) and I don't foresee this changing unless a killer
Java6/Jdk6 feature becomes applicable. The idea is "require Java 6 by
default, make it possible to run with Java 5 if needed, with the loss
or degradation of some features". We can consider this a "Libertarian
paternalistic" approach (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_paternalism ) :-)

Thanks,
- Alex