Release 0.90 branch cut, candidate (0.90.RC1) builds available

Alex Feinberg

Nov 24, 2010, 2:31:05 PM11/24/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Voldemort 0.90 release branch has been cut. Many new features,
enhancements and bug fixes have been introduced in this release
including, but not limited to:

* Support for topology ("zone") aware routing (see
https://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/wiki/Multi-datacenter-capability
for more details)
* Support for hinted handoff, including as a method for restoring
consistency after a partition between different zones without
incurring additional latency of cross-zone quorums necessary for
read repair
* NIO based client with a pipeline based routing layer
(PipelineRoutedStore)
* Many improvements to the read only storage engine, including support
for online rebalancing of read only stores

Documentation describing these features in more detail (on the wiki
and the project website/blog) will be coming shortly.

You can browse the release-090 branch on github at
https://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/tree/release-090

Builds i.e., zip and tar archives are available to download from our
Hudson CI server:

http://test.project-voldemort.com:8080/job/release-090/lastSuccessfulBuild/

Please feel free to check the new release out and experiment with
it. Once the release branch has been deemed stable (i.e., no further
check-ins of bug fixes are expected), release notes will be upgraded,
builds will be posted on the official downloads page and the
release-090 branch will be merged back into the master branch.

Thanks,
- Alex

John Cohen

Nov 26, 2010, 6:50:17 AM11/26/10
to project-voldemort
Alex,

What about rebalancing? There are a number of bugs an one Critical.

-john

On Nov 24, 2:31 pm, Alex Feinberg <feinb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Voldemort 0.90 release branch has been cut. Many new features,
> enhancements and bug fixes have been introduced in this release
> including, but not limited to:
>
> * Support for topology ("zone") aware routing (see
>  https://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/wiki/Multi-datacenter-capability
>   for more details)
> * Support for hinted handoff, including as a method for restoring
>   consistency after a partition between different zones without
>   incurring additional latency of cross-zone quorums necessary for
>   read repair
> * NIO based client with a pipeline based routing layer
>   (PipelineRoutedStore)
> * Many improvements to the read only storage engine, including support
>   for online rebalancing of read only stores
>
> Documentation describing these features in more detail (on the wiki
> and the project website/blog) will be coming shortly.
>
> You can browse the release-090 branch on github athttps://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/tree/release-090
>
> Builds i.e., zip and tar archives are available to download from our
> Hudson CI server:
>
> http://test.project-voldemort.com:8080/job/release-090/lastSuccessful...

Alex Feinberg

Nov 26, 2010, 10:27:41 AM11/26/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Hey John,

I have your patch in a special branch, but as I've mentioned, there's
a unit test failure in that branch. Once the test failure is fixed
(the test is originally written by Bhupesh), I'll merge that branch
into the release branch.

Thanks,
- Alex

bhupesh bansal

Nov 26, 2010, 2:15:44 PM11/26/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

my apologies, I never got time to look into this, will do it tonight once I get back home.

Alex,

can you point me to the jira and the commit id again ?

Best
Bhupesh

Alex Feinberg

Nov 27, 2010, 4:51:27 AM11/27/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com

John Cohen

Nov 27, 2010, 8:45:22 PM11/27/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex, Bhupesh,

I have noticed other bugs during more rebalancing testing.  I'll include unit test and patches to others bugs too.  I'll be sending you additional diff's based on https://github.com/afeinberg/voldemort/tree/issue-288 branch

Keep you all posted,
-john

_Mike

Nov 30, 2010, 10:24:03 AM11/30/10
to project-voldemort
Are there any known issues with moving a 0.81 config with client
routing to a 0.90 config with zone routing?
_Mike

On Nov 24, 2:31 pm, Alex Feinberg <feinb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Voldemort 0.90 release branch has been cut. Many new features,
> enhancements and bug fixes have been introduced in this release
> including, but not limited to:
>
> * Support for topology ("zone") aware routing (see
>  https://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/wiki/Multi-datacenter-capability
>   for more details)
> * Support for hinted handoff, including as a method for restoring
>   consistency after a partition between different zones without
>   incurring additional latency of cross-zone quorums necessary for
>   read repair
> * NIO based client with a pipeline based routing layer
>   (PipelineRoutedStore)
> * Many improvements to the read only storage engine, including support
>   for online rebalancing of read only stores
>
> Documentation describing these features in more detail (on the wiki
> and the project website/blog) will be coming shortly.
>
> You can browse the release-090 branch on github athttps://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/tree/release-090
>
> Builds i.e., zip and tar archives are available to download from our
> Hudson CI server:
>
> http://test.project-voldemort.com:8080/job/release-090/lastSuccessful...

Alex Feinberg

Dec 3, 2010, 11:50:03 PM12/3/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com
No issue in this, zone-routing is done on the client side. It should
also work with server side routing, but we haven't tested that as
much.

You will have to upgrade the clients, however, to 0.91 before you
enable zone routing. I suggest updating clients first and then servers
(for a zero-downtime release).

Thanks,
- Alex