Who should run projects

Thusi Hettigama

Apr 8, 2006, 9:24:48 PM4/8/06
to project managment
Would you allow non trained (project management) person to run a
project. Is Project Management is common sense ? or you need to know
proper steps to execute each phases. I am struggling to understand why
some companies are taking risky steps in project management roles. Why
they appoint non IT person to run IT project. Why they appoint
Technical person to run business projects. How do we know they follow
PMO methodology.

KevinK

Apr 20, 2006, 2:54:25 AM4/20/06
to project managment
No, I wouldnt let a person without PM training run any of my projects.
If in the unlikely event they managed it successfully it would be more
down to good luck. Given that some industry figures quote that 68% of
all projects fail (to meet all of their cost, time, quality and scope
objectives) why risk it further ?

I do think however, that a PM need not be a technical expert in the
area they are working in. It does help in most cases but, equally, as
long as the PM is not afraid to ask questions and acknowledges his
lack of knowledge then, sometimes, having a person who is not a
technical expert in the area can result in more probing questions
causing the team to consider issues in areas they may normally
overlook. As long as the PM follows a process/framework and can
facilitate his technical people then the project can be a success.

On the other hand, appointing technical people to run projects simply
because they were good engineers/analysts is called the 'halo effect'
and is rarely a good thing. Some formal PM training can go a long way
with these people - as long as it is a PM role they are interested in
and can step back from the technical aspects.

Vince Williams

Apr 22, 2006, 12:13:25 PM4/22/06
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

I agree with most of what you have said. However I would also add that technically trained project managers (like myself) should understand that while their knowledge is useful in IT project management, as a PM it is no longer their role to understand to any great detail the underlying technical points.

Project management in IT is about three simple questions:
  1. Does it work? (i.e. does the solution/product meet the client's requirements?)
  2. How much is it? (i.e. is the cost within the planned budget?)
  3. When can it be delivered?

Good project management involves asking questions of the project team which will qualify the answers to these three fundamental questions.

--
Regards,

Vince Williams
endofp...@gmail.com
Mobile: 07816 492264
Land: 0700 5930723
Fax: 0700 5930728

prjc...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2006, 10:58:42 PM4/23/06
to project managment
I agree with most of what has been posted with some limitations. Kevin
stated that having a very technically qualified PM could be good, but
that a non technical PM could ask probing questions because they can
look at the project in the abstract.

In turn, software development PMs like myself, who are very technically
qualified can also ask detailed questions. I have had many instances
where teams are overlooking what might be a great risk in a project
because they feel that they can overcome it during the software build
phase. But having managed many projects I might have experience and
might want to exclude a component from a first build phase (in
Iterative or Agile Methodology).

Vince feels it is no longer a role for technically proficient PMs to
understand to any great detail the underlying technical points. In my
last two positions I have found this to not be totally true. I agree
that I need to let the software development architects and engineers
code without me looking over their shoulder, but it certainly is my
role to recognize what requirements they understand, how they will
attempt to achieve them successfully, and what risks are understood to
exist. Many times a team might have two ways of approaching a
requirement, and one might be more appropriate for future upgrades or
requirements. I know a number of architectural project managers who
agree with me that they cannot do their jobs properly without a very
good working knowledge of construction processes.

--Simon

http://www.simonmetz.com/project_management/

John Alindogan

Apr 24, 2006, 10:53:47 AM4/24/06
to project-...@googlegroups.com
It has been my belief that a "good" project manager need not be
limited to a particular industry. an IT project manager does not need
to be a programmer to develop an enterprise application. similarly, a
contruction project manager does not need to be an architect in
developing a high-rise building as he/she can have engineers as
resource (obviously, a PM who is proficient on that specific field is
still ideal).

your thoughts?

John

R C Goyal

May 1, 2006, 3:39:48 AM5/1/06
to project-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Vince

Another point that ‘PM’ should be a good mentor & facilitator to keep the team motivated, with high morale and conscious of their own performance in the interest of the project.

Thanks & Regards R C Goyal

BE AN AMBASSADOR OF QUALITY rcg...@gmail.com;rcg...@avrms.com , Mob: 00919869463964

The Project Management Podcast

May 4, 2006, 12:50:26 AM5/4/06
to project managment
I guess, that the correct response is "It depends".

Project management is a skill that I as a project manager can transfer
from industry to industry. I have done it three times and led projects
in retail, IT and the financial industry. The trick is to always have
good people on the project who understand the technical and/or industry
side better than you do. (i.e. a technical lead / architect on my
current software development project.) This allows me to focus on the
project, the processes and most importantly the customer.

This much said, there are of course projects that require that the PM
has more than just a passing know-how of the industry. For instance, I
would not feel comfortable if I were asked to lead a project in a
medical devices company.

So... it really depends on the project.

Regards,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP