Intellij IDEA 9 opensourced.

A.J. Wright

Oct 15, 2009, 7:42:14 PM10/15/09
to Project Lombok
Today jetbrains announced Intellij 9 Community Edition would be
outsourced. The community edition includes the core functions such as
the compiler:

http://blogs.jetbrains.com/idea/2009/10/intellij-idea-open-sourced/

Perhaps, this means lombok will be coming to intellij soon?

Reinier Zwitserloot

Oct 15, 2009, 8:12:56 PM10/15/09
to Project Lombok
I know! Isn't it cool?

Currently we write a handler for each AST base. So, that's once for
eclipse, and then duplicate a lot of the work for javac. Netbeans
parses using javac (or, well, a slightly modified version), so
netbeans support is relatively easy: We need to hook lombok into
netbeans, but we can mostly use the javac handlers for them.

I hear (and I'll be cloning the git repository of IntelliJ as soon as
I can!) that IntelliJ uses its own parser architecture built on ANTLR.
It would mean maintaining a third set of handlers for it.

Also, making lombok sort of work is not too hard, but making sure
stuff like refactor scripts don't get confused is a heck of a lot of
work for eclipse. Possibly it'll be easier for netbeans and IntelliJ.
It's also fairly obvious from the way lombok works now that we don't
_need_ to fix those refactor scripts.

We're also looking into somehow abstracting away the differences in
all those AST views so you only have to write a handler once. This
isn't going to be easy, but the sheer amount of work involved in doing
that in a sane way means this isn't going to show up next week.

But yes, we're going to have a look.

Kevin Wong

Oct 15, 2009, 10:33:05 PM10/15/09
to Project Lombok
So, what will happen if I try to run an app using Lombok in IDEA? I
suppose it wouldn't run at all; compiler errors. Has anyone tried it?

Sébastien

Nov 24, 2009, 10:39:12 AM11/24/09
to Project Lombok
For your information, Open Source or not should not be an issue
because IntelliJ has exposed and documented its plugin API for quite
some time, allowing hundreds of developers to build very advanced
plugins for IntelliJ already.

Reinier Zwitserloot

Nov 24, 2009, 10:44:29 AM11/24/09
to Project Lombok
I talked to one of the IntelliJ guys at their booth at devoxx, and he
told me that while the _compiler_ is probably that pluggable, they
don't actually use the compiler to do the IDE integration. So, red
wavy underlines that higlight errors as-you-type, auto-complete
processing, rendering structural overviews, powering refactor scripts,
and all other things IDEs do but straight compilers don't, is all done
under the hood and is NOT pluggable.

So, we'll have to dive into that code which requires it to be open
source (technically I could decompile, but that would be bordering on
masochism), which fortunately it now is. The java core bits between
ultimate edition and community edition will probably be sufficiently
similar for us to develop lombok on community edition and having it
work on ultimate as well, so, three hurrays for open source!

Pupmonster

Nov 25, 2009, 4:24:07 PM11/25/09
to Project Lombok
Support for IntelliJ would be very welcome. Lack thereof is currently
the show-stopper for our group.

Jacek Furmankiewicz

Nov 25, 2009, 5:18:50 PM11/25/09
to project...@googlegroups.com
I'd rather the lombok team focus first on getting Eclipse support 100%. There is still the occasional hiccup.

Cheers

Richard Vowles

Nov 25, 2009, 6:09:32 PM11/25/09
to project...@googlegroups.com
Based on our interview last night, are people logging those hiccups with the project or attempting to provide patches (if they are able).

Richard
PS, if you haven't heard it, go to www.illegalargument.com

--
---