Dromaeo (JavaScript benchmarks) w/ plotter using Processing.js

Mike Niemi

Dec 27, 2010, 8:49:59 AM12/27/10
to Processing.js
To look at JavaScript performance across browsers, I downloaded John
Resig's Dromaeo (http://dromaeo.com/), played with the css a bit, and
have started to add some things like plotting using Processing.js. My
current version:
http://svbreakaway.info/dfe/index.html
with some notes and to-do list:
http://svbreakaway.info/tp.php#dfe

The current version shows the results for the 5 major browsers run on
my system (a 13" MBP with OS-X + Vista/Bootcamp for IE9). When you
click on "Run All JavaScript Tests" > "Run", you should start to see
black bars on the plots showing your results in comparison. It's not
very useful at this point, considering we are running on different
systems. That's just a demo for now. Although the results so far are
kind of interesting. The width of each bar (Chrome is red, Firefox is
green, etc) corresponds to the performance of that browser on that
test.

Mike

Anna Sobiepanek

Dec 29, 2010, 7:32:23 PM12/29/10
to proces...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
This looks good. I was just wondering which version of each browser this is using.

Anna

Mike Niemi

Dec 30, 2010, 6:55:23 AM12/30/10
to Processing.js
Anna,

The versions were:
Chrome: 8.0.552
Firefox: 3.6.13
IE: 9.0.7930
Opera: 11.0
Safari: 5.0.3
Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari were on OS-X 10.6.4
IE was on Vista Home Premium SP2 on Bootcamp
The system was a 13" MacBook Pro.

I collect some of that using the Navigator object (
http://www.quirksmode.org/js/detect.html) and will add it to the
program's report.

Mike

On Dec 29, 7:32 pm, Anna Sobiepanek <anna.sobiepa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> This looks good. I was just wondering which version of each browser this is
> using.
>
> Anna
>
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Mike Niemi <svbreaka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To look at JavaScript performance across browsers, I downloaded John
> > Resig's Dromaeo (http://dromaeo.com/), played with the css a bit, and
> > have started to add some things like plotting using Processing.js.  My
> > current version:
> >    http://svbreakaway.info/dfe/index.html
> > with some notes and to-do list:
> >    http://svbreakaway.info/tp.php#dfe
>
> > The current version shows the results for the 5 major browsers run on
> > my system (a 13" MBP with OS-X + Vista/Bootcamp for IE9).  When you
> > click on "Run All JavaScript Tests" > "Run", you should start to see
> > black bars on the plots showing your results in comparison.  It's not
> > very useful at this point, considering we are running on different
> > systems.  That's just a demo for now.  Although the results so far are
> > kind of interesting.  The width of each bar (Chrome is red, Firefox is
> > green, etc) corresponds to the performance of that browser on that
> > test.
>
> > Mike
>
> > --
> > .

Mike Niemi

Jan 4, 2011, 5:35:16 PM1/4/11
to Processing.js
Just a notice..

I added a first pass at a graphics benchmark to this tool:
http://www.svbreakaway.info/dfe/
It's based on the pendulums sample. To run it, click on "Misc
Graphics Tests" or "Run All JavaScript Tests", then "Run". It looks
at fps with varying canvas sizes, #objects, and drawing on/off. In
the graphs (one for each canvas size), the y-axis is fps, the x-axis
is #balls, the red line is fps without drawing the graphics, the blue
line is fps drawing the graphics, and the green area is the difference
between them.

Here are some results I'm seeing:
http://svbreakaway.info/tp.php#jan4
with a couple notes below that image (the Opera results were kind of
interesting IMO). Click on the image to enlarge. The benchmark is
still rough, but seems to be working OK. I'm still sanity checking it
though. Email me or post any comments here.

Mike