Audio?

jerome

Jan 3, 2010, 12:19:50 AM1/3/10
to Processing.js
Hi List,

To what extent has processing.js audio support been championed and
realized?

As a web developer and musician who has dabbled in SuperCollider, I
would love to bring dynamic audio to the browser via processing.js

Anyone working with this?

Regards,
Jerome

Al Mac

Jan 3, 2010, 11:59:30 AM1/3/10
to proces...@googlegroups.com
Yeah there is a whole team of people working on this. I just happen to
be writing a blog about the new stuff right now! I will post the link
here when I'm finished this evening.

:)

We are actually working on upgrading Firefox so it can read values
directly from the audio stream. The second stage will be to push values
out to the audio stream so we can create sound with JavaScript and thus
Processing.js (whish is what you're after I believe, as a I). If you
want to see what's happening so far, check out these links, and if you
want to get involved too, join us at irc://irc.mozilla.org/processing.js
and help put the future behind us.

http://vocamus.net/dave/?p=914
http://vocamus.net/dave/?p=922
http://vocamus.net/dave/?p=927
http://hyper-metrix.com/html6/sample-dump-proof/
http://vocamus.net/dave/?p=929
http://vocamus.net/dave/?p=931
http://vocamus.net/dave/?p=939
http://weare.buildingsky.net/processing/dft.js/audio.html

I believe Andor Salga
(http://asalga.wordpress.com/2009/11/18/merging-c3dl-into-pjs/) has been
looking at playing audio files with Processing.js. Which may be
interested to some, even though it's a bit off-topic.

Anyway, we're getting to where you're trying to go, because we want
Processing.js to be there too. I expect by the summer we will be pushing
sound back out, maybe sooner, and hopefully all this new stuff will be
in a real Firefox release some time in 2010!

One thing is for sure, it will happen faster if you get involved.

Al

Al Mac

Jan 3, 2010, 12:06:23 PM1/3/10
to proces...@googlegroups.com
One more thing, if you *are* interested in using the kind of audio
skills you used in SuperCollider to push the browser forward: just IM me
in the Processing.js IRC Channel, my name is "F1LT3R", or speak to
"humph" who is doing the C++ work.

It would be really useful to have you on board for this as we will need
people who work directly with sound APIs to help design our API. :)

F1LT3R

Jan 5, 2010, 12:46:06 AM1/5/10
to Processing.js
The blog post is ready. If you want to start playing with JavaScript
audio buffers in Firefox (input only for now), then read on:
http://weblog.bocoup.com/javascript-fft-audio-sampling-in-firefox

Pomax

Jan 15, 2013, 10:46:10 PM1/15/13
to proces...@googlegroups.com, f1l...@hyper-metrix.com
As a more up to date answer, there is a partial implementation of Minim in JavaScript, https://raw.github.com/Pomax/Pjs-2D-Game-Engine/master/minim.js

you add this before you load processing.js with a <script src="minim.js"></script> in the head of your page, and then any calls to new Minim(this) etc. will work.

There may be functions missing (in fact, I guarantee it, since we used it for play/pause/stop/loop/rewind only) so if you run into anything important that should be added, let me know in the #processing.js channel on irc.mozilla.org

- Pomax

James Brink

Jan 16, 2013, 1:37:34 PM1/16/13
to proces...@googlegroups.com
I was interested in your response to the "Audio in Processing.js" items
on because I wrote a tutorial
(http://www.cs.plu.edu/~brink/KISA/KISATutorial.html) on using audio a
while back and am currently working on a similar tutorial on video.
When I checked the code for minim.js, I was confused by the "str" used
in function Minim and AudioPlayer. What is suppose to be?

James Brink
> --
> Groups "Processing.js" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/processingjs/-/F_xMVTpTzKIJ.

Erik Blankinship

Jan 16, 2013, 1:41:03 PM1/16/13
to proces...@googlegroups.com
This is a fabulous template to study to see how more plugins can be ported.  Thank you!

- Pomax

Eric Garcia

Jan 17, 2013, 7:02:27 AM1/17/13
to proces...@googlegroups.com