More than 3 devices?

Jesse

Feb 17, 2010, 11:12:16 AM2/17/10
to Prey-Security
Does anyone know if there will be support for more than 3 devices? I
work at a school and this would be a great product to run on our
laptops that the students take home. We have not had many stolen, but
at least one or two every year come up missing. Unfortunately
administration does not want to pay the cost of using services like
computrace or lojack for laptops, but as a free solution with SOME
ability to POTENTIALLY track a laptop this would be great!

Thanks,

Jesse

Brandon Leon

Feb 17, 2010, 11:24:32 AM2/17/10
to prey-s...@googlegroups.com
You can run as many as you want in the standalone version, as long as you have a website you have access to all you need to do is create a html file for each one, if one goes missing remove that one to tell it to phone home.

//Brandon Leon

//Brandon

"If it ain't broke fix it till it is...then add duct tape."

Yehuda Katz

Feb 17, 2010, 12:06:31 PM2/17/10
to prey-s...@googlegroups.com
What it seems to me some people might like would be to be able to run their own copy of the Prey control panel.
Would it be possible to release that?

- YK

Arcanthus

Feb 19, 2010, 3:16:49 AM2/19/10
to Prey-Security
I'm in a similar situation here. I work for a smallish non-profit
organisation, and we tend to have a bunch of laptops in the field
(with an average of one stolen/'going missing' per year). I love the
simplicity and elegance of this software, when combined with the
control panel it works better than any similar software I've tested.

If there was the option to have about ten devices in exchange for a
reasonable donation to cover the extra server costs, It would be
perfect for our needs. Would this be an option at some point in the
future?

On Feb 18, 1:06 am, Yehuda Katz <yehudaak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What it seems to me some people might like would be to be able to run their
> own copy of the Prey control panel.
> Would it be possible to release that?
>
> - YK
>

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Brandon Leon <kaotics...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You can run as many as you want in the standalone version, as long as you
> > have a website you have access to all you need to do is create a html file
> > for each one, if one goes missing remove that one to tell it to phone home.
>
> > //Brandon Leon
>

> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Jesse <jessel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Does anyone know if there will be support for more than 3 devices? I
> >> work at a school and this would be a great product to run on our
> >> laptops that the students take home. We have not had many stolen, but
> >> at least one or two every year come up missing. Unfortunately
> >> administration does not want to pay the cost of using services like
> >> computrace or lojack for laptops, but as a free solution with SOME
> >> ability to POTENTIALLY track a laptop this would be great!
>
> >> Thanks,
>
> >> Jesse
>
> >> --

> >> prey-securit...@googlegroups.com<prey-security%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/prey-security?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > //Brandon
>
> > "If it ain't broke fix it till it is...then add duct tape."
>
> > --

> > prey-securit...@googlegroups.com<prey-security%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Joe

Feb 19, 2010, 11:57:14 AM2/19/10
to Prey-Security
I'm in the same situation. I work for a University and it would be
great to have a single place to track our department's laptops using
the Prey control panel. We'd gladly host our copy of the control panel
on our site to avoid the congestion on the Prey group's server.

Tomás Pollak

Feb 19, 2010, 2:21:08 PM2/19/10
to Prey-Security
Hello guys,

There's actually been several requests like yours, and yes, we've
talked a lot about whether we should release the Control Panel code or
not.

You must know that, besides designing, developing, translating and
documenting, the amount of time we need to spend on support is growing
bigger every day. Not only regarding installation or setting up the
Mac, Windows and Linux client themselves, but also using the Control
Panel, activating the software, what to do with the reports; hell,
we've even been asked to help catching a thief!

Now, being an open project, we probably will release the Control Panel
code eventually, but frankly, at this moment it would do us no good
since it would open up a whole new source of "problems" for us, I
mean, issue handling, bugfixing, patching, documenting, and of course,
giving support. And that, for the time being, is probably more than we
can handle.

Now, initially I didn't think I would ever get something in return for
Prey (i.e. money), but after so many requests for the "premium
account" option I've come to the conclusion that maybe a freemium
model is not a bad idea after all. Basically a way to add more than
three devices under a same account.

In fact, having an income source of some kind would allow us to commit
ourselves 100% to Prey. This would mean more features, new modules,
better support (by the way, sorry when it takes too long for me to
answer!) and probably clients for other mobile platforms.

I said it once and I'll say it again: Prey is and always be free, and
that does include the three devices for each account. If we do add
some kind of premium option, it definitely won't compete with the fact
that Prey is free (as in beer), and more importantly, it will be for a
fair price -- one that I would also pay for. :)

So, to sum things up: our plan is to have the best and most badass
device tracking solution of them all, free and forever. And that
exactly what we're working on.

Regards,
Tomás