[~OT] How to show a ruler or coordinates on a given PDF ?

Thibaut Barrère

Mar 29, 2010, 4:31:36 AM3/29/10
to Prawn
Hello,

quite often while working with prawn, I need to display the PDF to
finetune positioning of some elements.

To your knowledge, is there some way to display a ruler or coordinates
while showing a PDF in Acrobat Reader or any other tool ?

thanks,

-- Thibaut

Randy Parker

Mar 29, 2010, 7:01:14 AM3/29/10
to prawn...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Thibaut Barrère <thibaut...@gmail.com> wrote:
... is there some way to display a ruler or coordinates

while showing a PDF in Acrobat Reader or any other tool ?

On a Mac, use Skim and select a text box.  Look on the bottom right for X,Y, plus the box height & width.

On Windows:

Adobe sales and a tech support ticket I filed say that the $700 reader will do it.  I haven't checked.

The $100 Foxit Reader will do it, and if you don't need to save revisions to the file, you can use it indefinitely just to read layout coordinates.  The coordinates are displayed to 2 pdf point decimal places in the "Properties" box.

PDF Xchange will also do it for free, but the Y origin is upper-left, not lower-left, so you have to subtract every Y from your page height.  And the coordinates have to be interpreted by reading an edge scale, which is hard to do accurately.

- Randy

Thibaut Barrère

Mar 29, 2010, 7:28:06 AM3/29/10
to prawn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy,

thanks a lot!

-- Thibaut

2010/3/29 Randy Parker <randy.j...@gmail.com>
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to prawn-ruby+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Thibaut Barrère

Mar 30, 2010, 10:34:36 AM3/30/10
to Prawn
> PDF Xchange will also do it for free, but the Y origin is upper-left, not
> lower-left, so you have to subtract every Y from your page height. And the
> coordinates have to be interpreted by reading an edge scale, which is hard
> to do accurately.

On Windows I used this one and it works fairly well. There are
measurements tools that work in cm and other units, etc.

Thanks a lot for your helpful reply!

-- Thibaut