OLE DB driver for 64 bit SQL Server

Mike Kruchten

Jul 10, 2003, 5:56:59 PM7/10/03
My understanding of 64bit SQL2000 is that existing clients will run
unchanged. From the clients point-of-view SQL Server hasn't changed. In
other words PB8 on a 32bit client should be able to access SQL2000 on a
64bit server with no problem.

However if you're trying to run your client on 64bit WINDOWS, I would guess
you might have some problems. I think 32bit programs are supposed to run
unchanged but I don't know about OLEDB. I've heard that 32bit programs run
significantly slower on 64bit Windows due to Itanium limitations.

Mike Kruchten

"Amol Kasbekar" <a...@cbord.com> wrote in message
> We are currently using Power Builder 8.0 with SQL Server. With the 64-bit
> version of SQL Server now available, we are curious as to what changes we
> would require to use it. We have determined that our SQL code in form of
> stored procedures, etc can be ported to 64 bit. Our question is now about
> 1. Powerbuilder: Can compiled pbd binaries be used directly on 64 bit
> machine without any change?
> 2. OLE DB support: Does sybase have a 64 bit version of the oledb
driver
> for SQL Server?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Amol.

Chris Pollach

Jul 11, 2003, 7:15:43 AM7/11/03
Mike;

You may also need PB 8.0.3 or 9 as that is where they introduced the
LongLong data type (among others) to support the 64bit platforms.

regards ... Chris
Great White North Technical Evangelist

"Mike Kruchten" <mkru...@fsisolutions.com> wrote in message

Amol Kasbekar

Jul 10, 2003, 12:33:00 PM7/10/03

Mike Kruchten

Jul 11, 2003, 11:20:24 AM7/11/03
Chris,
The LongLong isn't available in any database interfaces yet, so it doesn't
help from that end.

Actually, the 32bit version of SQL2000 supports a LongLong datatype, only
they call it BIGINT. The big change with 64bit SQL2000 is that it's able to
access massive amounts of memory. I believe it's compiled for Itanium also
to eliminate the performance penalty running 32bit software on 64bit
Windows. Not sure what happens when running on the new AMD 64bit chip.

Mike Kruchten

"Chris Pollach" <Poll...@SCC-CSC.gc.ca> wrote in message

Chris Pollach

Jul 11, 2003, 12:45:42 PM7/11/03
Mike;

I thought that was SQLServer2003.

regards ... Chris

"Mike Kruchten" <mkru...@fsisolutions.com> wrote in message

Mike Kruchten

Jul 11, 2003, 3:36:14 PM7/11/03

> Mike;
>
> I thought that was SQLServer2003.

Which, the 64bit version? It's still SQL2000, just compiled to work on 64bit
Windows. MS has said that they made all the necessary changes internally in
SQL2000 to support 64bit Windows, it was just waiting for 64bit Windows to
become available.

There isn't going to be a SQL2003, the next release is code-named "Yukon",
and after another recent schedule slip is currently expected in 2004Q4.

Regards,
Mike Kruchten