"irb" (ruby command line) is unresponsive in PowerCmd

Jesper Rønn-Jensen

Jun 4, 2007, 2:24:52 PM6/4/07
to PowerCmd
irb (the interactive ruby command line) freezes and is unusable from
within PowerCmd.

Try the following steps to reproduce
1) install ruby (irb comes with ruby)
2) from the command prompt type irb <enter>
3) now the commandline starts irb and looks ready:
irb(main):001:0>
but it's not possible to input anything at the command prompt. The
prompt is completely dead, even though the little caret blinks but
does not respond to anything. There is no response, regardless if I
type or not.

Compare this to an ordinary dos prompt where you can input things like
"2+2" etc...

I really hope you can reproduce this. I had the problem on two laptops
(one Dell and one Lenovo, both with similar software)

Paul C.

Jun 5, 2007, 9:26:28 AM6/5/07
to PowerCmd
Yes. I can reproduce this defect. The defect is related to the core of
PowerCmd. It's not easy to fix. But I'll try.

Thanks,
Paul

Jesper Rønn-Jensen

Jun 6, 2007, 4:39:22 AM6/6/07
to PowerCmd
On Jun 5, 3:26 pm, "Paul C." <power...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. I can reproduce this defect. The defect is related to the core of
> PowerCmd. It's not easy to fix. But I'll try.

Sounds good, Paul. I could probably also find other programs that
cause the same bug. So I hope you can fix it so that nobody will
suffer from not having to use PowerCmd.

Keep up the great work :)

Paul C.

Jun 6, 2007, 10:47:27 AM6/6/07
to PowerCmd
Thanks a lot!

Jesper Rønn-Jensen

Jul 18, 2007, 3:41:33 AM7/18/07
to PowerCmd

> > On Jun 5, 3:26 pm, "Paul C." <power...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Yes. I can reproduce this defect. The defect is related to the core of
> > > PowerCmd. It's not easy to fix. But I'll try.

Anything new on this bug?

Paul C.

Jul 20, 2007, 9:26:24 AM7/20/07
to PowerCmd
It has been fixed. But the fix touches the kernel of PowerCmd. I need
more test to avoid regressions.

Thanks,
Paul

Jesper Rønn-Jensen

Jul 21, 2007, 1:38:47 PM7/21/07
to PowerCmd
On Jul 20, 3:26 pm, "Paul C." <power...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It has been fixed. But the fix touches the kernel of PowerCmd. I need
> more test to avoid regressions.

That's great news! Thanks a lot.

I found another example of this with subversion command-line. I put it
in another post, it's up to you to decide if it's related.