[podcasters] Insulation Advice

Melissa Anelli

Mar 31, 2006, 11:37:27 AM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Hey folks -

Thanks to the lovely Paul Puri, the three main voices on our podcast now
have rockin Blue snowballs. I love the sound I'm getting BUT, I live in an
as-yet-uncarpeted apartment and we're having a lot of sound seem as though
I'm standing in a auditorium. I guess the same is true of non-headset-mics
all over the place.

Soooooooooooo, I'm trying to figure out a thing to make that covers me while
recording that's easy to put together andput away when necessary. Like a
hood. I've been throwing a blanket over my head, it gets very uncomfortable.
:) Anyone have ideas?

Thanks!

Melissa
http://www.pottercast.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

podcasters-...@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Stephen Eley

Mar 31, 2006, 12:11:37 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06, Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Soooooooooooo, I'm trying to figure out a thing to make that covers me while
> recording that's easy to put together andput away when necessary. Like a
> hood. I've been throwing a blanket over my head, it gets very uncomfortable.
> :) Anyone have ideas?

You need a short-term solution? If you have a walk-in closet, hang
your coats and clothes in it and do your recording in there. That's
as close to "dead space" as you'll get for cheap.

It'll probably become a pain in the long term, though, so I suggest
making plans now to fix up one of the apartment's rooms (or at least a
corner of a room) for studio purposes. Carpeting is important. You
could also probably improve things by hanging baffles (blankets,
curtains, quilts) from the walls, and setting up the desk with the mic
in a corner diagonally to throw off standing waves.

With a bit of budget and reading, you could probably do more. Google
on room acoustics, or find a good book on home studios. My personal
favorite is _Practical Recording Techniques_ by Bruce and Jenny
Bartlett.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfe...@gmail.com)

Michael R. Mennenga

Mar 31, 2006, 12:15:02 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Here is my suggestion.

Actually, this is a good one for everyone out there. (It's on my
must-get-next list as well.)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Media/Accessories?sku=42263
2

Michael R. Mennenga

Director of Technical Operations/Host

The Dragon Page & Slice of Scifi
~Sci-fi Talk For A New Generation!~

www.DragonPage.com
www.sliceofscifi.com
www.farpointmedia.net

Matt May

Mar 31, 2006, 12:27:28 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Glad Steve answered before I did, because I can erase most of what I
was writing. :)

I was watching MTV Cribs where Lil' Jon (WHAT?) was showing off where
he and his crew (YEAH!) recorded Crunk Juice. Their studio consisted
of two mattresses propped up against each other in the corner of the
bedroom. The record went multi-platinum, so I guess it didn't hurt.
If tearing apart your bed each time you want to do a show sounds like
a reasonable thing to do, I think this is the ultimate in cheap-ass
DIY sound insulation. (Please don't try this with a futon, lest the
thing flop over and crush you and/or your gear.)

Another thing I had considered was to buy a DJ case that was intended
to hold 2 turntables and a mixer, then put the mixer and a mic mount
in there, and add some acoustic tiles in the lid and to cover up the
corners when it's open. That way, you can set up with your back to
the quietest corner of the room, talk into a box that doesn't reflect
the sound outward, and then fold the whole rig up and throw it under
your bed.

-

Stephen Eley

Mar 31, 2006, 12:33:25 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06, Michael R. Mennenga <mi...@dragonpage.com> wrote:
> Here is my suggestion.
>
> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Media/Accessories?sku=422632

Looks like fun stuff, but "apartment" in the original question
suggests an owner who could be unhappy about permanently caulking up
black acoustic foam and turning one of the bedrooms into the Batcave.
>8->

Besides... $350? I have no doubt that the stuff works, but is it
really *that* much better than buying some egg-crate foam mattress
pads from Target?

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfe...@gmail.com)

Paul Puri

Mar 31, 2006, 12:37:51 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- "Michael R. Mennenga" <mi...@dragonpage.com> wrote:
> Here is my suggestion.
> Actually, this is a good one for everyone out there.
> (It's on my
> must-get-next list as well.)

Michael is dead on with this suggestion. Auralex has
different packages for different sized rooms.

Melissa, email me the size of your room and the
surrounding items in it(sofa, lamp, window, bookshelf,
etc).

It is not that expensive to dampen a room, you don't
have to cover the whole thing, and you don't even have
to put the foam on the wall.

And don't buy it online. You will have to pay
shipping. I can get a special deal from Guitar Center,
and can arrange for a pickup from a local store if
anyone is interested. Again, I make no money off of
stuff from Guitar Center, so this is out of the
kindness of my dark evil soul;)

Paul Puri

The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
http://podsafegear.com

Unsigned Podcast Network
The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
Skype:unsignedpodcast
unsigne...@gmail.com

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

Melissa Anelli

Mar 31, 2006, 12:41:29 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Yeah, LOL - I'm not wild about turning my apartment into something that
would make Gollum feel at home. And the money - yeowch! Those egg crates
are something, however... LOL.

What do you think of draping one of those chinese screens in blankets at
recording time and sitting behind it?

On 3/31/06, Stephen Eley <SFE...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/31/06, Michael R. Mennenga <mi...@dragonpage.com> wrote:
> > Here is my suggestion.
> >

> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Media/Accessories?sku=422632
>
> Looks like fun stuff, but "apartment" in the original question
> suggests an owner who could be unhappy about permanently caulking up
> black acoustic foam and turning one of the bedrooms into the Batcave.
> >8->
>
> Besides... $350? I have no doubt that the stuff works, but is it
> really *that* much better than buying some egg-crate foam mattress
> pads from Target?
>

> --
> Have Fun,
> Steve Eley (sfe...@gmail.com)
> http://www.escapepod.org

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 12:42:57 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Paul Puri wrote:
> anyone is interested. Again, I make no money off of
> stuff from Guitar Center, so this is out of the
> kindness of my dark evil soul;)

I, for one, aspire to achieve a depth of evil and a shade of darkness to
equal the soul of Sir Paul.

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com

Melissa Anelli

Mar 31, 2006, 12:42:46 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
My room is more a hallway; I have a studio apartment with no doors - so
there's a kitchen and bedroom across from a hallway, and at the front of the
hallway is an alcove with my desk - which is where I record. It shouldn't be
hard to block off the alcove, so long as I can remove stuff when I'm not
recording; it's 6' x 4' deep.

:)

Paul Puri

Mar 31, 2006, 12:45:51 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- Stephen Eley <SFE...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like fun stuff, but "apartment" in the
> original question
> suggests an owner who could be unhappy about
> permanently caulking up
> black acoustic foam and turning one of the bedrooms
> into the Batcave.
> >8->

Ahem!

http://auralex.com/category_max-wall/category_max-wall.asp

> Besides... $350? I have no doubt that the stuff
> works, but is it
> really *that* much better than buying some egg-crate
> foam mattress
> pads from Target?

A huge difference. Egg crate foam does have some
absorption properties, but a fraction of what properly
designed studio foam can offer. And egg crate does not
last as long, and makes a mess when it starts
deteriorating.

You could essentially make fake walls with some studio
foam and some large cardboard boxes. That would
simulate a nice tight sounding room. Good enough for
on a budget sound enhancement.

Paul Puri

The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
http://podsafegear.com

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

Dan Klass

Mar 31, 2006, 11:50:03 AM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 3/31/06 8:37 AM, "Melissa Anelli" <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks -
>
> Thanks to the lovely Paul Puri, the three main voices on our podcast now
> have rockin Blue snowballs. I love the sound I'm getting BUT, I live in an
> as-yet-uncarpeted apartment and we're having a lot of sound seem as though
> I'm standing in a auditorium. I guess the same is true of non-headset-mics
> all over the place.
>
> Soooooooooooo, I'm trying to figure out a thing to make that covers me while
> recording that's easy to put together andput away when necessary. Like a
> hood. I've been throwing a blanket over my head, it gets very uncomfortable.
> :) Anyone have ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Melissa
> http://www.pottercast.com

Melissa -

Check out http://www.mightyseek.com/podcast_setup/ and scroll down to the
"Sound Box"

From the maker of PodPress, (the other) Dan K.

- dK

Paul Puri

Mar 31, 2006, 1:16:46 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My room is more a hallway; I have a studio apartment
> with no doors - so
> there's a kitchen and bedroom across from a hallway,
> and at the front of the
> hallway is an alcove with my desk - which is where I
> record. It shouldn't be
> hard to block off the alcove, so long as I can
> remove stuff when I'm not
> recording; it's 6' x 4' deep.

You could essentially get about 6 sheets of foam,
mount it on a stiff light surface, and stand it up
behind you. You should also do that in front of you as
well. So up to 10 sheets at about $17.00 a piece. So
for under $200.00 you could have a fake room.

Determining what your problem areas are essential. Do
you face a wall when you record? If that is the case,
then try changing your orientation, or place sound
dampening material on the wall. What the mic is
picking up is reflections of your voice. So the closer
you are to a hard reflective surface, the more of a
reflection that will occur. Maybe try recording in
front of a window with curtains. Are you facing a
corner? That would be the worse scenario.

Paul Puri

The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
http://podsafegear.com

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

Yahoo! Groups Links

George L Smyth

Mar 31, 2006, 1:17:13 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- Matt May <mc...@bestkungfu.com> wrote:

> Glad Steve answered before I did, because I can erase most of what I
> was writing. :)
>
> I was watching MTV Cribs where Lil' Jon (WHAT?) was showing off where
> he and his crew (YEAH!) recorded Crunk Juice. Their studio consisted
> of two mattresses propped up against each other in the corner of the
> bedroom. The record went multi-platinum, so I guess it didn't hurt.
> If tearing apart your bed each time you want to do a show sounds like
> a reasonable thing to do, I think this is the ultimate in cheap-ass
> DIY sound insulation. (Please don't try this with a futon, lest the
> thing flop over and crush you and/or your gear.)

I guess trying to use my waterbed wouldn't be a good idea either. <g>

Cheers -

george

-------------------------------------

Eclectic Mix - http://EclecticMix.com
DRiP Investing - http://DRiPInvesting.org
Handmade Photographic Images - http://www.GLSmyth.com
The Prudent Investor - http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=21

Michael R. Mennenga

Mar 31, 2006, 1:32:20 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06 10:33 AM, "Stephen Eley" <SFE...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/31/06, Michael R. Mennenga <mi...@dragonpage.com> wrote:
>> Here is my suggestion.
>>
>> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Media/Accessories?sku=422632
>
> Looks like fun stuff, but "apartment" in the original question
> suggests an owner who could be unhappy about permanently caulking up
> black acoustic foam and turning one of the bedrooms into the Batcave.

The foam-tack is not permanent calk. (at least, all the stuff I've used
wasn't) It is more like sticky tack. You just pop the foam off, and roll
the tack off the walls with your fingers. (Totally Clean)

>> 8->
>
> Besides... $350? I have no doubt that the stuff works, but is it
> really *that* much better than buying some egg-crate foam mattress
> pads from Target?

It is vastly different. The acoustic cuts in the foam, and tuned to certain
frequencies. (That's why it is so damn expensive.) Trust me, I'm the king
of cheap, but in this case, I just can't top it with a cheap-ass workaround.
;-)

Michael R. Mennenga

Director of Technical Operations/Host

The Dragon Page & Slice of Scifi
~Sci-fi Talk For A New Generation!~

www.DragonPage.com
www.sliceofscifi.com
www.farpointmedia.net

Stephen Eley

Mar 31, 2006, 1:42:55 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06, Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think of draping one of those chinese screens in blankets at
> recording time and sitting behind it?

It sounds like a good idea, if you have a cheap source of Chinese
screens. >8-> You'll also want to pay attention to what's behind the
microphone on the other side, BTW, and depending on the mic placement
you *might* need to treat your desk surface. Or maybe not.

Perfection is not the goal here. Just listen to yourself through some
good headphones and keep playing with things until you get a sound
that you like. How you get to your "right sound" will be different
from how anybody else gets there.

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfe...@gmail.com)

Melissa Anelli

Mar 31, 2006, 2:02:19 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

> It sounds like a good idea, if you have a cheap source of Chinese
> screens. >8->

LOL - I have a secret weapon called Jembro, that's in my area. :) Furniture
for WAY CHEAP.

And wow, yep, I am indeed podcasting into a corner. After 32 shows you'd
think we would havelearned something. I suck. LOLOL.

Probably sticking a blanket under the microphone is a good idea as well.

Yea, the mic gives very good audio at points even with all this echo, so I'm
sure some minor treatment will solve the prob... I'll let you guys know how
my tests go :)

Thakns so much!

Melissa

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 2:10:09 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
There's enough of us using these that it seems on-topic, so...

No matter the mic volume, no matter the setting, I notice the snowball
distorts... even when the audio doesn't *seem* to be peaking.

Any ideas why?

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com
"Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
http://www.bravemenrun.com
---
MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Patsy Terrell

Mar 31, 2006, 2:14:03 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Probably the closest thing you're going to find to Sonex is those
eggshell mattress pads. You might try one of those.
Patsy
www.patsyterrell.com
www.artofgraciousliving.com

Paul Puri

Mar 31, 2006, 2:17:35 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- Matthew Wayne Selznick <m...@mwsmedia.com> wrote:
> No matter the mic volume, no matter the setting, I
> notice the snowball
> distorts... even when the audio doesn't *seem* to be
> peaking.
> Any ideas why?

Hey Matt,

I have been getting great results. Try backing off a
bit, or try talking off axis. I point the mic towards
my chest, and talk down to it. I don't get any
distortion when using it this way. It is a very
sensitive mic, being a condensor. If you insist on
being close to it, than change the switch in the back
to the middle position. It will give you a -10db pad,
and you can scream in it all you want.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about it.

Paul Puri

The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
http://podsafegear.com

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

Michael R. Mennenga

Mar 31, 2006, 2:23:00 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06 12:10 PM, "Matthew Wayne Selznick" <m...@mwsmedia.com> wrote:

> There's enough of us using these that it seems on-topic, so...
>
> No matter the mic volume, no matter the setting, I notice the snowball
> distorts... even when the audio doesn't *seem* to be peaking.
>
> Any ideas why?

So here's the scoop on the Snowball. Even though I really like this mic, (I
had Evo's for a few days) it has one major engineering flaw. It is a normal
condenser microphone rigged for USB operation.

What's the problem with that? Normal condensers require 48 volts of phantom
power to work correctly. (I will not go into the reason for this here)

However, you are plugging into, and powering it off of a 12 volt USB supply.
(Starting to see a problem?)

In order to make up the voltage, there is an up-voltage transformer inside.

So, if there are too many USB devices, the mic will starve.

That could be your problem, or, it may not be your problem. But it is
something to look out for.

Michael R. Mennenga

Director of Technical Operations/Host

The Dragon Page & Slice of Scifi
~Sci-fi Talk For A New Generation!~

www.DragonPage.com
www.sliceofscifi.com
www.farpointmedia.net

Joel Haasnoot

Mar 31, 2006, 2:26:36 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Sorry, but USB is 5 volts...

Joel

On 3/31/06, Michael R. Mennenga <mi...@dragonpage.com> wrote:

> On 3/31/06 12:10 PM, "Matthew Wayne Selznick" <m...@mwsmedia.com> wrote:
>
> > There's enough of us using these that it seems on-topic, so...
> >
> > No matter the mic volume, no matter the setting, I notice the snowball
> > distorts... even when the audio doesn't *seem* to be peaking.
> >
> > Any ideas why?
>
> So here's the scoop on the Snowball. Even though I really like this mic,
> (I
> had Evo's for a few days) it has one major engineering flaw. It is a
> normal
> condenser microphone rigged for USB operation.
>
> What's the problem with that? Normal condensers require 48 volts of
> phantom
> power to work correctly. (I will not go into the reason for this here)
>
> However, you are plugging into, and powering it off of a 12 volt USB
> supply.
> (Starting to see a problem?)
>
> In order to make up the voltage, there is an up-voltage transformer
> inside.
>
> So, if there are too many USB devices, the mic will starve.
>
> That could be your problem, or, it may not be your problem. But it is
> something to look out for.
>

> Michael R. Mennenga
>
> Director of Technical Operations/Host
>

> The Dragon Page &Slice of Scifi

> ~Sci-fi Talk For A New Generation!~
>
> www.DragonPage.com
> www.sliceofscifi.com
> www.farpointmedia.net
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael R. Mennenga

Mar 31, 2006, 2:29:39 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 3/31/06 12:26 PM, "Joel Haasnoot" <joelha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but USB is 5 volts...
>
> Joel

You're right... I saw it just as I hit send.

Glad to know there are so many here to keep you honest. ;-P

MRM

Dennis Hays

Mar 31, 2006, 2:34:17 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Without getting into a sticky digress, what you mentioned is
part of OHM's law:

Ohm's Law is V = I x R where V = Voltage, I = Current and R
= Resistance. One ohm is the resistance value through which
one volt will maintain a current of one ampere.

Therefore, without knowing the current or resistance, you
can't tell whether the 48v is depriving the system. I
believe, however, the USB buss can handle the electrical
demands quite nicely.

Dennis
--
Dennis Hays
Secrets of Digital Imaging

--
Dennis Hays
Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine

Melissa Anelli

Mar 31, 2006, 2:36:04 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Oh, physics.

That's it. I unsubscribe, and quit podcasting.

> > The Dragon Page &Slice of Scifi

> > ~Sci-fi Talk For A New Generation!~
> >
> > www.DragonPage.com
> > www.sliceofscifi.com
> > www.farpointmedia.net
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> --
> Dennis Hays
> Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
> http://www.imagingsecrets.com
> http://www.haysdesign.com
> +1 518.479.4220
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 2:39:06 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Either way, that sounds like something to look at. I've got three USB
devices plugged into the computer even without the mic.

So... unplug the printer, etc., before trying to record, eh?

Worth a shot. Thanks, Michael.

--

Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com
"Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
http://www.bravemenrun.com
---
MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Joel Haasnoot

Mar 31, 2006, 2:41:52 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
The USB bus officially only allows 300ma per device, in practice I think up
to 500ma can be pulled, but the USB device has to register how much it pulls
officially. In practice, sometimes this limit may not be adhered to but it's
supposed to be. Some guy decided to warm his mouse using USB and resistors
and got 1 amp out of the USB port but that required some hardware hacks of
course.

(Note to self: stop reading the USB specification)

Joel

On 3/31/06, Dennis Hays <dh...@haysdesign.com> wrote:

> > The Dragon Page &Slice of Scifi

> > ~Sci-fi Talk For A New Generation!~
> >
> > www.DragonPage.com
> > www.sliceofscifi.com
> > www.farpointmedia.net
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> --
> Dennis Hays
> Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
> http://www.imagingsecrets.com
> http://www.haysdesign.com
> +1 518.479.4220
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Paul Puri

Mar 31, 2006, 2:42:35 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, physics.
> That's it. I unsubscribe, and quit podcasting.

No kidding! My head hurts now......can I have all your
listeners Melissa?

;)

Paul Puri

The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
http://podsafegear.com

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

Joel Haasnoot

Mar 31, 2006, 2:43:10 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Or, here's another tip, if that turns out to be true about the drain: use a
powered USB hub...

Joel

Michael R. Mennenga

Mar 31, 2006, 2:44:26 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Oh man... You want to go to Ohm?

Can't we just say that if there are too many things feeding the power supply
at one time, the voltage may drop?

Please? I don't want to do this today. ;-)

MRM

On 3/31/06 12:34 PM, "Dennis Hays" <dh...@haysdesign.com> wrote:

> Without getting into a sticky digress, what you mentioned is
> part of OHM's law:
>
> Ohm's Law is V = I x R where V = Voltage, I = Current and R
> = Resistance. One ohm is the resistance value through which
> one volt will maintain a current of one ampere.
>
> Therefore, without knowing the current or resistance, you
> can't tell whether the 48v is depriving the system. I
> believe, however, the USB buss can handle the electrical
> demands quite nicely.
>
> Dennis

Melissa Anelli

Mar 31, 2006, 2:44:58 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
>>No kidding! My head hurts now......can I have all your
listeners Melissa?

LOL! You got 'em if you can draw me a Crumple Horned Snorckack and tell me
what W.O.M.B.A.T stands for.

...the life of a HarryPotter podcaster...

-Melissa

On 3/31/06, Paul Puri <prp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh, physics.
> > That's it. I unsubscribe, and quit podcasting.
>

> ;)
>

> Paul Puri
>
> The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
> http://podcastguild.com/
>
> Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
> http://podsafegear.com
>
> Unsigned Podcast Network
> The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
> The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
> Skype:unsignedpodcast
> unsigne...@gmail.com
>

> The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
>
> Promotion without shame.
> Podcasting Announcements
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 2:47:50 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Paul Puri wrote:
> I have been getting great results. Try backing off a
> bit, or try talking off axis. I point the mic towards
> my chest, and talk down to it. I don't get any
> distortion when using it this way. It is a very
> sensitive mic, being a condensor. If you insist on
> being close to it, than change the switch in the back
> to the middle position. It will give you a -10db pad,
> and you can scream in it all you want.

I recall Evo mentioning he keeps the mic to one side when he uses it;
similar to your talking down to it advice. Although I don't really want
to talk down to it, I mean, I'm no better than it is, right? :-)

The -10db pad doesn't seem to have an effect on the distortion issue --
I tried that right away.

I should clarify -- the distortion doesn't occur at high volume levels.
We're talking normal tone of voice, speaking volume... certain
phonemes seem to set it off.

I'll try the off-set idea -- thanks Paul!

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com
"Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
http://www.bravemenrun.com
---
MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Dennis Hays

Mar 31, 2006, 2:48:18 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Yeah... I perform all those physics calculations before I do
any of my shows; just to make certain I have enough juice to
power my microphone------NOT!

Somewhere, I have to depend on the equipment to work. Once I
got everything tweaked in, I quit fooling around with the
switches and stuff and just turned on the mixer and
processor, run the software, and started talking.

I think between all my shows (one turned into a blog along
the way), I've done over a hundred since last June. As long
as they're still fun to do, I'll keep going. I'm not
obsessed with the equipment anymore, as I want my attention
to be on content. I think in the first couple of months,
worrying about my sound kept me from being focused about
what I'm saying.

I'm sure the Blue Snowball works fine, once you have your
equipment and room set up the way you want. If you have to,
hang a blanket or quilt between two lamps. That will knock
down the room echo a little. Sure, it ain't Sonex, but if
it works, your listeners won't know the difference. ;~>

Dennis

Quoting Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com>:

> Oh, physics.
>
> That's it. I unsubscribe, and quit podcasting.

--

Dennis Hays
Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
http://www.imagingsecrets.com
http://www.haysdesign.com
+1 518.479.4220

Yahoo! Groups Links

Andy Bilodeau

Mar 31, 2006, 2:48:59 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06, Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>No kidding! My head hurts now......can I have all your
> listeners Melissa?
>
> LOL! You got 'em if you can draw me a Crumple Horned Snorckack and tell me
> what W.O.M.B.A.T stands for.
>
> ...the life of a HarryPotter podcaster...
>
> -Melissa

Weapon Of Mass But Amiable Terror?

:)

--

Andy Bilodeau
PodCaster

The AndyCast PodCast
You'll laugh 'til you stop!
http://www.andycast.net

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 2:49:03 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Joel Haasnoot wrote:
> Or, here's another tip, if that turns out to be true about the drain: use a
> powered USB hub...

Urk! I am using a powered USB hub. So maybe it's not the power...?

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com
"Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
http://www.bravemenrun.com
---
MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Matt May

Mar 31, 2006, 2:46:04 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Mar 31, 2006, at 11:44 AM, Michael R. Mennenga wrote:

> Oh man... You want to go to Ohm?

Thought that was what the Zencast was for.

-
(o)m

Paul Puri

Mar 31, 2006, 2:52:08 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL! You got 'em if you can draw me a Crumple Horned
> Snorckack and tell me
> what W.O.M.B.A.T stands for.

Waste Of Money, Brains And Time

WOmen's Mountain Bike And Tea Society

Word of Mouth Basic Training Blog

Paul Puri

The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
http://podsafegear.com

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

Yahoo! Groups Links

Melissa Anelli

Mar 31, 2006, 2:52:18 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

> > LOL! You got 'em if you can draw me a Crumple Horned Snorckack and tell
> me
> > what W.O.M.B.A.T stands for.
> >
> > ...the life of a HarryPotter podcaster...
> >
> > -Melissa
> >

> Weapon Of Mass But Amiable Terror?
>
> :)

Alas, it's the Wizarding Oridnary Magic Basic Aptitude Test, which every HP
fan is taking rihgt now via torturous puzzlegoing at www.jkrowling.com.

But your description might still apply.

-Melissa

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 2:57:43 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
That last one's a moneymaker. Snag the domain name, quick!

Paul Puri wrote:
> Word of Mouth Basic Training Blog

--

Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com
---
"Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
http://www.bravemenrun.com
---
MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Joel Haasnoot

Mar 31, 2006, 3:00:41 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Have you tried putting one of those lead 'filter' things round the usb cord
to filter out noise?

On 3/31/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <m...@mwsmedia.com> wrote:

> That last one's a moneymaker. Snag the domain name, quick!
>
> Paul Puri wrote:
> > Word of Mouth Basic Training Blog
>
> --
> Matthew Wayne Selznick
> http://www.mattselznick.com
> ---
> "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
> http://www.bravemenrun.com
> ---
> MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
> http://www.mwsmedia.com
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 3:01:26 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Matt May wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2006, at 11:44 AM, Michael R. Mennenga wrote:
>> Oh man... You want to go to Ohm?
>
> Thought that was what the Zencast was for.

Subtle. Painful, but subtle.

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com
"Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
http://www.bravemenrun.com
---
MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 3:03:20 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Joel Haasnoot wrote:
> Have you tried putting one of those lead 'filter' things round the usb cord
> to filter out noise?

This is something I'm not aware of... but, if it matters, it's not
really noise... it's distortion on certain parts of certain words.

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com
"Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
http://www.bravemenrun.com
---
MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

Joel Haasnoot

Mar 31, 2006, 3:06:41 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Yeah, probably won't help.... Does the mic do the same thing when on a
powered hub, by itself (i.e the only device on it)?

On 3/31/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <m...@mwsmedia.com> wrote:

> Joel Haasnoot wrote:
> > Have you tried putting one of those lead 'filter' things round the usb
> cord
> > to filter out noise?
>
> This is something I'm not aware of... but, if it matters, it's not
> really noise... it's distortion on certain parts of certain words.
> --
> Matthew Wayne Selznick
> http://www.mattselznick.com
> ---
> "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
> http://www.bravemenrun.com
> ---
> MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
> http://www.mwsmedia.com
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 3:12:49 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Joel Haasnoot wrote:
> Yeah, probably won't help.... Does the mic do the same thing when on a
> powered hub, by itself (i.e the only device on it)?

That remains to be seen... I'll try it!

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com
"Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
http://www.bravemenrun.com
---
MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

Stephen Eley

Mar 31, 2006, 3:15:25 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <m...@mwsmedia.com> wrote:
> Either way, that sounds like something to look at. I've got three USB
> devices plugged into the computer even without the mic.
>
> So... unplug the printer, etc., before trying to record, eh?

Or get a powered USB hub. Plug everything else into the hub except
for the microphone. They'll draw power from the hub, and your mic
will draw its power from the computer.

(Do *not* plug the mic into the hub. You don't want your audio input
device to have to share bandwidth with your mouse, hard drive, rice
cooker, etc.) >8->

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfe...@gmail.com)

Paul Puri

Mar 31, 2006, 3:20:26 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- Stephen Eley <SFE...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Do *not* plug the mic into the hub. You don't want
> your audio input
> device to have to share bandwidth with your mouse,
> hard drive, rice
> cooker, etc.) >8->

Good point Steve. I believe that was one of the
suggestions on the Bluemic.com forum for the Snowball.

Paul Puri

The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
http://podsafegear.com

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

Melissa Anelli

Mar 31, 2006, 3:21:54 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Oh, damn, I really enjoyed making rice while podcasting. The USB hub gave it
that night electro-fried taste.

Back to outlets.

On 3/31/06, Paul Puri <prp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Stephen Eley <SFE...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (Do *not* plug the mic into the hub. You don't want
> > your audio input
> > device to have to share bandwidth with your mouse,
> > hard drive, rice
> > cooker, etc.) >8->
>
> Good point Steve. I believe that was one of the
> suggestions on the Bluemic.com forum for the Snowball.
>

> Paul Puri
>
> The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
> http://podcastguild.com/
>
> Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
> http://podsafegear.com
>
> Unsigned Podcast Network
> The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
> The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
> Skype:unsignedpodcast
> unsigne...@gmail.com
>

> The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
>
> Promotion without shame.
> Podcasting Announcements
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Mar 31, 2006, 3:23:03 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Paul Puri wrote:
> --- Stephen Eley <SFE...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (Do *not* plug the mic into the hub. You don't want
>> your audio input
>> device to have to share bandwidth with your mouse,
>> hard drive, rice
>> cooker, etc.) >8->
>
> Good point Steve. I believe that was one of the
> suggestions on the Bluemic.com forum for the Snowball.

Ah... there we go. That will no doubt make the difference.

Thanks everybody! I'm off to the post office!

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
http://www.mattselznick.com
"Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era"
http://www.bravemenrun.com
---
MWS Media - Inexpensive web hosting for DIY independent creators
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Stephen Eley

Mar 31, 2006, 3:23:12 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <m...@mwsmedia.com> wrote:

> Urk! I am using a powered USB hub. So maybe it's not the power...?

Your mic is on the hub *with other devices?* If so, that could be your problem.

When I was using an M-Audio MobilePre, I was having serious crackling
issues with it plugged into my Belkin hub. As soon as I plugged it
directly into the Mac Mini, that problem went away. (It was still too
noisy for my comfort, but it was ordinary hiss rather than crackling
and more easily dealt with.)

And of course, it's also possible that your Snowball is just a lemon.
If playing with different USB configurations and different software
settings doesn't help, sift Blue's site for tech support. If you
don't find any notes about this issue, call their support department.
If they don't have other advice for you they should trade it out.

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfe...@gmail.com)

Michael R. Mennenga

Mar 31, 2006, 3:24:08 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06 1:15 PM, "Stephen Eley" <SFE...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Do *not* plug the mic into the hub. You don't want your audio input
> device to have to share bandwidth with your mouse, hard drive, rice
> cooker, etc.) >8->

My USB rice cooker is self-powered.

But the USB Crock-pot... That's another story.

Michael R. Mennenga

Director of Technical Operations/Host

The Dragon Page & Slice of Scifi

~Sci-fi Talk For A New Generation!~

www.DragonPage.com
www.sliceofscifi.com
www.farpointmedia.net

Paul Puri

Mar 31, 2006, 3:26:21 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, damn, I really enjoyed making rice while
> podcasting. The USB hub gave it
> that night electro-fried taste.

Don't forget to put your rice in the USB powered
fridge for at least 24 hours. Then fry it with butter
in your USB powered wok. Add pepper, soy sauce, peas,
water chestnuts, chopped green onions, chicken, and
serve it under the romantic ambience of your USB
powered light:)

Paul Puri

The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
http://podsafegear.com

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

Yahoo! Groups Links

Joel Haasnoot

Mar 31, 2006, 3:30:21 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
You forgot the USB auroma pot thinghamajig to make it smell nice...

Joel

Melissa Anelli

Mar 31, 2006, 3:30:45 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06, Paul Puri <prp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Melissa Anelli <mela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh, damn, I really enjoyed making rice while
> > podcasting. The USB hub gave it
> > that night electro-fried taste.
>
> Don't forget to put your rice in the USB powered
> fridge for at least 24 hours. Then fry it with butter
> in your USB powered wok. Add pepper, soy sauce, peas,
> water chestnuts, chopped green onions, chicken, and
> serve it under the romantic ambience of your USB
> powered light:)

I don't know about the USB, but I'm gonna try that recipe out, yum!

-Melissa
:)

Dave Shepherd

Mar 31, 2006, 3:33:02 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
All those suggestions were cool, but they're expensive and complicated.

I take three indoor laundry-drying racks (available at your favorite
hardware store) and drape blankets over them-- if I were drying the
blankets. (If you always podcast after washing laundry, you're set.)

They are very good, portable baffles. If you sit in the middle of a group of
these, you will not notice any appreciable echo.

Then you can hang your socks on them, put them away, never have to worry
about altering your room.

I think of it as the portable solution to recording inside your closet. All
of The Word Nerds' shows have been recorded while sitting inside one of
these little arrangements.

Dave

Stephen Eley

Mar 31, 2006, 3:35:44 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06, Joel Haasnoot <joelha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried putting one of those lead 'filter' things round the usb cord
> to filter out noise?

I've never heard of a "lead filter" for USB cables, but it sounds like
a scam to me. The USB signal is digital, not analog, with an
error-correcting protocol. RF interference won't make much difference
until it reaches really intense levels, at which point you'd get real
device errors, not moderate distortion on the digitized sound.

This sort of thing is why I hate shopping for cables at Best Buy and
such places. You can't just buy an ordinary $5 USB cable there.
They'll only sell you $30 cables with gold connectors, as if it makes
a damn bit of difference for USB. Don't even get me started on fiber
optic cables, and why Monster's such a ripoff on those.

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfe...@gmail.com)

Michael R. Mennenga

Mar 31, 2006, 3:39:43 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06 1:33 PM, "Dave Shepherd" <shep...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All those suggestions were cool, but they're expensive and complicated.
>
> I take three indoor laundry-drying racks (available at your favorite
> hardware store) and drape blankets over them-- if I were drying the
> blankets. (If you always podcast after washing laundry, you're set.)
>

> Then you can hang your socks on them, put them away, never have to worry
> about altering your room.

So Dave,
How do I subscribe to your laundry cast?
Got any good suggestions for getting out mustard stains?

> I think of it as the portable solution to recording inside your closet. All
> of The Word Nerds' shows have been recorded while sitting inside one of
> these little arrangements.

Are they doing a coming out of the closet cast?
Oh wait, we're already doing the Brokeback- Dragon Page

Michael R. Mennenga

Director of Technical Operations/Host

The Dragon Page & Slice of Scifi
~Sci-fi Talk For A New Generation!~

www.DragonPage.com
www.sliceofscifi.com
www.farpointmedia.net

Paul Puri

Mar 31, 2006, 3:40:00 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
--- Dave Shepherd <shep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I take three indoor laundry-drying racks (available
> at your favorite
> hardware store) and drape blankets over them-- if I
> were drying the
> blankets. (If you always podcast after washing
> laundry, you're set.)

I like that suggestion. The poor mans sound room. Very
cool idea!

Paul Puri

The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
http://podsafegear.com

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

Dennis Hays

Mar 31, 2006, 3:41:38 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Yeah, but what about the hair dryer?

Dennis

--

Dennis Hays
Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
http://www.imagingsecrets.com
http://www.haysdesign.com
+1 518.479.4220

Wyldceltic1

Mar 31, 2006, 3:42:02 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
OK... THIS I gotta see!!

On Mar 31, 2006, at 11:44 AM, Melissa Anelli wrote:

>>No kidding! My head hurts now......can I have all your
listeners Melissa?

LOL! You got 'em if you can draw me a Crumple Horned Snorckack and

tell me
what W.O.M.B.A.T stands for.

...the life of a HarryPotter podcaster...

-Melissa

Stephen Eley

Mar 31, 2006, 3:44:46 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 3/31/06, Paul Puri <prp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Don't forget to put your rice in the USB powered
> fridge for at least 24 hours. Then fry it with butter
> in your USB powered wok. Add pepper, soy sauce, peas,
> water chestnuts, chopped green onions, chicken, and
> serve it under the romantic ambience of your USB
> powered light:)

Oh, I get it, you all thought I was making that up.

I wasn't. I saw a blurb on some tech site a few years ago for a
USB-powered rice cooker. Of course I can't find it again now, but I
swear I wasn't hallucinating. The elves in my shoes will back me up
on this.

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfe...@gmail.com)

Wyldceltic1

Mar 31, 2006, 3:49:52 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Cool... I should review my Harry P books again. Only on second cup
of coffee.

On another note, I found I did something silly with regards to my
podcast. After submitting it and having it approved, I went and
RENAMED it (Yeesh). That's why iTMS wasn't picking up new episodes
and such.

Went back to the original name and there are my 3 episodes, all
updated.

(Relief.)

The artwork not importing is a known bug in iTunes, iWeb and such.
Nothing I can do for right now if I just want to keep it simple.

The good thing I found out, thanks to an iWeb guru, I don't need to
fo the .xml tags and such. that's what the main thing with the
integrated software is about: Simplicity. And for my lousy eyesight,
that is a blessing.

Dennis Hays

Mar 31, 2006, 3:54:48 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
I believe you, Steve. I see your rice cooker and offer this
as something for all computer-bound geeks.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/usbtanner.shtml

Have a great weekend, all.

Dennis

Quoting Stephen Eley <SFE...@gmail.com>:

> On 3/31/06, Paul Puri <prp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Don't forget to put your rice in the USB powered
>> fridge for at least 24 hours. Then fry it with butter
>> in your USB powered wok. Add pepper, soy sauce, peas,
>> water chestnuts, chopped green onions, chicken, and
>> serve it under the romantic ambience of your USB
>> powered light:)
>
> Oh, I get it, you all thought I was making that up.
>
> I wasn't. I saw a blurb on some tech site a few years ago for a
> USB-powered rice cooker. Of course I can't find it again now, but I
> swear I wasn't hallucinating. The elves in my shoes will back me up
> on this.
>
> --
> Have Fun,
> Steve Eley (sfe...@gmail.com)
> http://www.escapepod.org

Dennis Hays
Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
http://www.imagingsecrets.com
http://www.haysdesign.com
+1 518.479.4220

Joel Haasnoot

Mar 31, 2006, 3:56:31 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
Good to hear you're getting somewhere...

Joel

Andy Armstrong

Mar 31, 2006, 4:26:00 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
On 31 Mar 2006, at 21:35, Stephen Eley wrote:
> I've never heard of a "lead filter" for USB cables, but it sounds like
> a scam to me. The USB signal is digital, not analog, with an
> error-correcting protocol. RF interference won't make much difference
> until it reaches really intense levels, at which point you'd get real
> device errors, not moderate distortion on the digitized sound.

I'd have thought a choke on the cable was to stop it /radiating/
noise - not to increase its noise immunity.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

onebadgungan

Mar 31, 2006, 9:49:09 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
At least you have a desk! I have my mixer and preamp, laptop, and
mic all on different TV trays in the living room, surrounding the
end of the couch. I call it the Command Couch.

Corby Kennard

The Horror Show
http://thehorrorshow.libsyn.com/

--- In podca...@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Anelli" <melanelli@...>
wrote:

> My room is more a hallway; I have a studio apartment with no
doors - so
> there's a kitchen and bedroom across from a hallway, and at the
front of the
> hallway is an alcove with my desk - which is where I record. It
shouldn't be
> hard to block off the alcove, so long as I can remove stuff when
I'm not
> recording; it's 6' x 4' deep.
>
> :)
>

> On 3/31/06, Paul Puri <prp6040@...> wrote:
> >
> > --- "Michael R. Mennenga" <mike@...> wrote:
> > > Here is my suggestion.
> > > Actually, this is a good one for everyone out there.
> > > (It's on my
> > > must-get-next list as well.)
> >
> > Michael is dead on with this suggestion. Auralex has
> > different packages for different sized rooms.
> >
> > Melissa, email me the size of your room and the
> > surrounding items in it(sofa, lamp, window, bookshelf,
> > etc).
> >
> > It is not that expensive to dampen a room, you don't
> > have to cover the whole thing, and you don't even have
> > to put the foam on the wall.
> >
> > And don't buy it online. You will have to pay
> > shipping. I can get a special deal from Guitar Center,
> > and can arrange for a pickup from a local store if
> > anyone is interested. Again, I make no money off of
> > stuff from Guitar Center, so this is out of the
> > kindness of my dark evil soul;)

> > Paul Puri
> >
> > The Podcast Guild Planning Commitee.
> > http://podcastguild.com/
> >
> > Podsafe Gear...Gear for Podcasters
> > http://podsafegear.com
> >
> > Unsigned Podcast Network
> > The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
> > The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
> > Skype:unsignedpodcast

> > unsignedpodcast@...

> > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
> >
> > Promotion without shame.
> > Podcasting Announcements
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingannouncements/
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Dan Kuykendall

Mar 31, 2006, 10:26:17 PM3/31/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com
My little sound box tends to work great.

http://www.mightyseek.com/podcast_setup/

Theres a sound test file on there you can play and hear the difference
it makes

--
Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
http://www.mightyseek.com

In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.