PodCamp Ohio 2009 - Should we add blogging?

Angelo Mandato

Aug 7, 2008, 6:50:10 PM8/7/08
to PodCamp Ohio
I know there's been some interest in making the next PodCamp Ohio a 2 day unconference. I recently found out that PodCamp Hawaii is having a 2 day conference combined it with a WordCamp (Wordpress centric conference). What does everyone think if we do the same, add blogging to PodCamp Ohio 2009?

As far as dates go, I'm thinking we should target Saturday, June 20 and Sunday June 21. What does everyone think of these dates?

--angelo

--
PodCamp Ohio
Twitter: podcampohio

Jason Anderson

Aug 8, 2008, 9:51:01 AM8/8/08
to podca...@googlegroups.com
I like that idea. Especially since WordPress and blogging are so closely tied to podcasting.
--
------------------------
Jason Anderson

Mary Wehrle

Aug 8, 2008, 10:20:00 AM8/8/08
to podca...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely we should add blogging. I think that is how so many get into social media. Here in Columbus, there are quite a few nonprofit organizations that don't use blogs or social media that could benefit from podcamp. Nonprofits don't have money to pay for staff to get trained on blogging but we could do some outreach to them and encourage them to come to podcamp to learn how to start a blog.

One other thought is we could schedule it to happen after Comfest. That way, many of us could assist in the new media area and promote podcamp. We might pick up more people who would be interested in podcamp and blogging. Just a thought. If people don't like that idea, I'm cool with the proposed date.
Mary Wehrle

Out beyond the ideas of right doing and wrong doing, there is a field, I will meet you there. ~ Rumi

Visit my Blogs:

From This Side of the Reflecting Pond

The Girl In The Z

Contributing Author: Central Ohio Network

You can also find me on Linked In

Brandice

Aug 8, 2008, 10:50:22 AM8/8/08
to podca...@googlegroups.com
Do we want to make it WordPress-centric or just add a day to talk about blogging in general.  I love WordPress, but there are other options out there that I don't think we should discount by making it WordPress heavy.  If we do a day of blogging, I'd saying have a couple WordPress track (101, 102, 201, 202, etc.) that run all day, but other things as well.  There's a lot more to talk about in terms of blogging than just how to use WordPress, so I wouldn't want to see it head in that direction.

Angelo Mandato

Aug 8, 2008, 11:09:01 AM8/8/08
to podca...@googlegroups.com
PodCamp Hawaii is doing just that, they're dedicated one track through both days to Wordpress. I don't want to make ours Wordpess only, many people use other blogging apps such as Blogger, MovaableType, Habari, TypePad, LiveJournal, etc... I wouldn't necessarily think we would want it to be Wordpress only track for sure.

Other podcamps didn't have the problem ours had, having a majority of the sessions geared to podcasting only. We did have sessions that appealed to bloggers, but Ohio area bloggers in general I don't think saw the connection that blogging has with podcasting. I think by marketing the next one as being for bloggers and podcasters (which PodCamp is for bloggers just as much as it is for podcasters just many non podcast bloggers don't see that), it will help encourage non podcasting bloggers to get involved, host sessions, etc...

--angelo
--
PodCamp Ohio
June 28, 2008

Gabe Taviano

Aug 8, 2008, 11:22:28 AM8/8/08
to podca...@googlegroups.com
Something I know myself, and am sure others, could speak on is how to blog within content management systems like Joomla, Drupal, etc. Many people don't realize that with a CMS like these you can have multiple blogs within a single website (not realizing how easy it is to build a site that works like the larger news sites). I think blogging and podcasting go well together, but might be interesting to look at dividing the sessions so they don't overlap. Maybe having segments of the day (or two days) that focus on one of the two (or three if you include social media networking).

Gabe Taviano
technology meets eternity

Dr. A

Aug 8, 2008, 11:34:19 AM8/8/08
to podca...@googlegroups.com
If blogging topics are going to be in the schedule (which I completely agree with), we may also consider having "blog" in the name of the event, even if it's just a tag line. Even I didn't know that there is potentially a connection between podcasting and blogging. But, if I'm a blogger out there (especially a new blogger), and I saw the name "Podcamp Ohio," I wouldn't necessairly want to attend a "podcasting event" - unless we go out of our way to be inclusive to the bloggers out there (as far as our programming, marketing, etc). Hope this made sense.