TS-2000 weak signal performance?

Dale KD7UO

Nov 15, 2010, 10:34:19 PM11/15/10
to PNWVHFS
Hi guys
My FT897D has crapped out to the point where it's looking like I may
not be able to save it. New rig time. Requirements are 2m & 6m ssb
of course; anything beyond that is icing. I'd like to buy new rather
than used so that limits the offerings significantly. And multi-
thousand $$$ rigs are out of the budget. Those of you who own a
TS-2000, what do you think of its performance on VHF? I've read the
eHam reviews but I think most of their attention is on HF. ( I've
already got HF covered with my old TS430 & TS930.) What are your
thoughts on weak signal rx on the TS-2000? I've seen reviewers
saying, "Better than my XYZ !", others saying, "Sucks compared to my
XYZ", and yet others saying if people would only read the manual
they'd be much happier with it. Since this group actually pays
attention to VHF+ weak signals I value your opinions.

thanks
dale, kd7uo

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO

Nov 16, 2010, 5:55:45 AM11/16/10
to dbkh...@gmail.com, PNWVHFS
Hi Dale,

I used a TS-B2000 (computer-controlled black box version) for some years on
6m as well as (to a much lesser extent) 2m and 70cm. (And it has the
capability to accept a 23cm module as well, something few other multi-band
rigs can boast.) This is the same radio as the TS-2000, just a different
control method, so my comments apply equally to the TS-B200 and the regular
TS-2000.

There are two basic technical metrics of receiver performance, sensitivity
and selectivity. Which one is more important depends on which bands one
operates -- and, of course, on propagation conditions. Without a doubt, on
the HF bands (particularly if you are a DXer and/or contester), selectivity
wins out every time. Sensitivity is noise-limited on HF. The problem is
often how to reduce the receiver's sensitivity rather than increase it.

The VHF/UHF bands are bigger, and stations are (or at least can be) more
spread out. In addition, the noise level drops rapidly as you increase
frequency, and sensitivity (expressed as noise figure) becomes much more
important at VHF and above than selectivity (expressed as 3rd-order
intermodulation distortion dynamic range).

The sensitivity of the TS-2000 on the VHF bands and above is very adequate.
Those lucky enough to live in a dead-quiet rural location may still want to
add mast-mounted preamps for the higher-frequency bands, but that's standard
practice for any VHF/UHF setup.

The problem with the TS-2000 is that it boasts probably the worst 3rd-order
IMD numbers (based on lab bench reviews by ARRL and Sherwood Engineering) of
any presently-sold commercial receiver, including those that cost less, like
the FT-897 (which I have also owned). This is the main reason for the crummy
eHam reviews as an HF rig. The TS-2000 is easily driven into distortion and
desense by strong signals in the passband -- and as a typical up-conversion
receiver, the 1st IF passband (70 MHz) is wide enough to drive an Abrams
tank through. Selective it is not. That said, there are ways to improve the
receiver's dynamic range considerably, such as by adjusting the attenuator,
preamp, and RF gain controls to provide the minimum necessary gain through
the radio's analog conversion and amplifier chain. Doing so improves
3rd-order dynamic range considerably, but many hams will continue to operate
this and all other ham receivers in "all knobs to the right" mode.

In weak-signal VHF/UHF operation, however, excessive gain is rarely a
problem, so the rig appears to be an adequate to excellent performer at VHF
and above. The problems it does have show up on 6 meters when the band is
wide open during a summer contest, and sporadic-E propagation is in its full
glory. In these situations, 6 meters tends to act much more like an HF band
than a VHF band, and dynamic range becomes a more important metric.

I've used the TS-2000 in 6-meter SSB and CW contests, and frankly, I've
found it to be practically useless on this band during strong-signal,
crowded-band conditions -- and you don't get much stronger signals on ham
radio than on 6 meters during a blisteringly-hot Es opening. Since I'm first
and foremost a 6m operator with QRO and a stacked yagi array, the TS-2000's
performance on this band during contests was simply unacceptable to me, and
I bought an Elecraft K3. The difference was night and day. Depending on your
station setup and priorities, a stripped-down 10-watt K3 may be perfect for
driving amplifiers you already have, and you shouldn't need to purchase any
additional receive roofing filters for SSB/CW VHF work. An internal 2m
transverter is available with 10W RF power output for driving an amplifier,
and there are rumors that a similar internal 432 MHz transverter is on the
way. You might want to check out the K3, as in its stripped-down mode, it
offers a much more attractive price/performance ratio than any other radio
in its price class, and by a wide margin.

If 2m and above are more important to you than 6m, or if you are not a 6m
contester or DXer, then I would cautiously recommend the TS-2000. Just don't
expect it to perform very well on the HF bands, particularly as the solar
cycle continues to wax, and do expect it to fold up and die under worst-case
6-meter contest conditions.

Hope this helps.

Bill W5WVO
DM65qh

thanks
dale, kd7uo

--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~

Barry Garratt

Nov 16, 2010, 2:14:43 PM11/16/10
to w5...@cybermesa.net, dbkh...@gmail.com, PNWVHFS
Hey Dale,

I can't comment one way or the other regarding the TS-2000 but I will agree
with Bill regarding the K3. Elecraft also make very nice external
transverters that are basically plug and play when connected to the K3. For
the dollars spent you can't go wrong with a K3.

Barry KS7DX

Edward R. Cole

Nov 16, 2010, 2:54:33 PM11/16/10
to w5...@cybermesa.net, dbkh...@gmail.com, PNWVHFS
I concur. I would chose the K3/10 with transverters (in fact I did
that). I am using an aging FT-847 (1998) which still performs well
on VHF/UHF but mediocre for HF. If you like your TS430&TS930, you
might consider a used IC910 or FT-847 for just 2m&70cm. But if
buying new, then the K3/10 is certainly competitive with the TS-2000,
cost-wise, and with good transverters will out-perform it all day!

Since I do eme, I chose the K3/10 combined with the new-design DEMI
transverters, for max performance. That does run slightly more cost
than a TS-2000. It will not do satellite since the K3 will not do
full duplex (yet).

73, Ed - KL7UW

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
======================================
BP40IQ 500 KHz - 10-GHz www.kl7uw.com
EME: 144-800*w, 432-100w, 1296-testing*, 3400-winter?
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubu...@hotmail.com
======================================
*temp not in service

Jeremy Alexander

Nov 16, 2010, 5:41:42 PM11/16/10
to PNWVHFS
Here is an alternate choice, isn't pretty but it is super hot. Certainly 6 dB better than the 2000. This could be done with any radio. The best way would be a receive converter or transverter.

Buy a nice analog or SDR for your IF receiver and then buy transverters for each band you want to play on.

Just offering some alternatives!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpeXBT-NwFU

73 Jeremy
www.w7eme.org

Dale KD7UO

Nov 16, 2010, 10:06:08 PM11/16/10
to PNWVHFS
Thanks everyone for the comments. Yep, the K3 looks nice...a bit
pricey though. But a good website with a nice comparison matrix for
all the popular rigs. Now to talk myself into the K3. Well, found
out a few hours ago I have to go to China tonight so I'm at the
airport. Something to think about over the next umpteen flight
hours. I'll pull the trigger sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Looking forward to being (back) on the air soon!

73
dale kd7uo