RE: [PNB_Elections:814] One year until next election. (2012)

Casey Peters

Nov 7, 2011, 10:15:44 PM11/7/11
to ale...@optonline.net, pnb_el...@googlegroups.com
Friends,
I wrote to this email list a couple of times earlier this year to urge action
in a timely manner to forestall potential problems with the upcoming
Pacifica Foundation elections. It is important to tune in now to prepare
for the 2012 and 1013 foundation election cycles.
It is, however, too late to reset the 2012 qualification database to zero.
According to Article Four, Section Five of the By-Laws, the deadline
for filing as a candidate for Delegate is July 1.
But that does not mean it is too late to address the problems raised here.
1. Duplicate memberships can be reduced through membership cards.
Each radio station member would have a given number that stays with them
throughout their membership. Perhaps it would be possible to create
a national membership, picking one station as primarily affiliation, to deter
the problem of people belonging to more than one station for voting purposes
(banned by the By-Laws but with no practical enforcement).
2. "Gift" memberships - this is a record-keeping matter, and all stations should
have a uniform way of recording all categories of membership.
3. Waivers are to be handled on an individual basis as per the By-Laws, not
wholesale. Elections supervisors may have to oversee potential abuse by
Local Station Boards.
4. Verification of staff membership is a tricky matter that is handled differently
at each station, and is handled well at none. It cannot be controlled by station
management, and should be done in an open process on an ongoing basis.
This includes fair secure record-keeping for station volunteers (including but not
limited to just programmers).
Allow me to implore members of the PNB Elections committee to review the
recommendations made by all National and Local Election Supervisors over the
past decade as a way of seeking solutions to the recurrent problems experienced
in the administration of the key to governance of the Pacifica Foundation.
As always, I am willing to help with any questions you may have.
-- Casey Peters
Two-time former KPFK LES and
former National Elections Supervisor