Conflict Resolution Techniques : Smoothing & Compromising

Abhay Patny

Jul 14, 2009, 6:52:32 AM7/14/09
to PMP Cert Online Study Group
As defined by Rita ....

Smoothing : Emphasizing agreement than differences of opinion

Compromising : Finding solutions that bring some degree of
satisfaction to both the parties

I am kinda confused with both the terms
Aren't they similar to some extent?

In both we are trying to find a solution that satisfies both. Right?

If some one can quote a good example please

Abhay

Leung Timothy

Jul 15, 2009, 10:50:35 AM7/15/09
to pmp-cert-onli...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion, smoothing and compromising are compiled like this:

Smoothing: When the arguement occurs,in order to keep the project under schedule (deliver on time), functional manager should try to stop the agruement continues. Team members those involved in the atguement (somtimes quarrel). It can be lose-lose because the team member just 'stop' agruement but they are not agree with each other.

Compromising:  When the arguement occurs, functional manager should try to collect the points, list out the advantanges of these points that can be determined as a benefit of the project. Then, there will be a judgement such that "Part of Mr. A's opinion is right, But part of Mr. B's opinion is also right. If we can proceed like ..... (Conslidated opinions from Mr. A and B)...., it will be better". As a result, both Mr. A and B can agree with each other. It can be win-win result.

2009/7/14 Abhay Patny <mail4...@patnys.com>
--
----------------------------------

用加法計算我們的積累
用減法計算我們的消費
用乘法計算我們的投資
用除法計算我們的資源

來自深圳地鐵的溫馨題示

Niranjan Kulkarni

Jul 15, 2009, 10:52:00 PM7/15/09
to pmp-cert-onli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abhay,

The main difference between smoothing and Compromise is that smoothing
does not give the solution, it makes everyone feel that problem does not exists.
Whereas in compromise everyone agrees that there is a problem and the
Conflict is between taking the decision to follow one of the solutions.

The real difference is that smoothing may have the problem resurface later.
In Compromise the problem will not resurface since there was at least some
solution for the issue.

Hope that makes it clear.

Thanks,
Niranjan, PMP.
Jul 17, 2009, 9:19:17 AM7/17/09
to PMP Cert Online Study Group
Great explanation, Niranjan. Inspired by this question, I did a blog
on it today.

What can Indo-Pak Conflict teach PMP Aspirants? You can find out here:

http://deepfriedbrain.blogspot.com/2009/07/what-can-indo-pak-conflict-teach-pmp.html

Regards,
Harwinder
PMP Certification Blog: http://deepfriedbrain.blogspot.com
>  imstp_animation_butterflies_en_020908.gif
> 42KViewDownload

Niranjan Kulkarni

Jul 18, 2009, 3:05:18 PM7/18/09
to pmp-cert-onli...@googlegroups.com
That is a very good blog Harwinder, like it :)

Thanks,
 Niranjan, PMP