Inquiry

edward moreno

Jul 9, 2010, 12:25:16 PM7/9/10
to pm...@googlegroups.com

May I ask a big favor, please?

Does anyone out there have any biographic data on Spanish Japanologist Jose Luis Alvarez-Taladriz?  I’ve scoured the Internet for days on end, without any luck, including the Company of Jesus, Monumenta Nipponica, Osaka U., etc. Your help will be immensely appreciated.

EMORE...@roadrunner.com

.

Peter MacMillan

Jul 11, 2010, 3:10:03 AM7/11/10
to 不明 Mailing
Colleagues

Could anyone kindly tell me where I may get access to visual images of hair ornaments for women of Edo or pre-modern Japan.

Thank you very much

Peter MacMillan

Matthew Stavros

Jul 11, 2010, 3:15:14 AM7/11/10
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Dear Peter,

『資料 日本歴史図録』includes hair styles and much more. It's a wonderfully useful volume.
> --
> You are subscribed to PMJS: Premodern Japanese Studies.
> To post to the list, send email to pm...@googlegroups.com

Ruth S. McCreery

Jul 11, 2010, 12:29:18 PM7/11/10
to pm...@googlegroups.com
You might check the online database at http://digitalmuseum.rekibun.or.jp/index.html?lang=jp

The collection includes quite a few hair ornaments

Ruth McCreery

Hisayuki Ishimatsu

Jul 12, 2010, 12:07:50 PM7/12/10
to pm...@googlegroups.com
How about here?

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~ukiyo26/onna_1.html

Yuki Ishimatsu
UC Berkeley

Peter MacMillan ????????:

Helen E. Moss

Jul 12, 2010, 10:57:49 PM7/12/10
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Peter,

This is rather long and messy, because I did it quickly, but here are some additional items.  The list was initially put together by Steven Varga, a kanzashi collector.  I checked his links, added more and deleted some.  I'm sure it's more than you need or want, but I hope some of them help!

Helen Moss

http://www.sawanoi-sake.com/kushi/index.

Sawanoi Kushi Kanzashi Bijutsukan

The museum exhibits Japanese combs and hair accessories, featuring items from 1603-1867.

Address

3-764-1 Yugi-machi, Oume-shi, Tokyo

Phone

0428-77-7051

http://www.suntory.com  the suntory museum of art has a large collection of kanzashi and accessories.

http://www.japan-hopper.com/2006/09/29_09271.php

this is an article on the Kushi Matsuri or comb festival. at this yearly event women dressed in period clothes and hairstyles flood the streets in kyoto to head to the shrine, there the ceremony is held. They leave their old combs and hairpins and give thanks for their use and beauty.   Sponsored by the Kyoto Beauty Culture Club, this festival first began in 1961. At 1:00 in the afternoon a procession of women wearing traditional hairstyles from ancient to modern times proceeds down Higashi-oji-dori to Kushizuka Tomb in the shrine precincts, where they dedicate old combs. Fourth Monday in September.

http://www6.ocn.ne.jp/~yamato93/

this is famous traditional japanese hairdresser Tetsuo Ishihara's hairstyle and kanzashi museum. Click every link on the left.  He has at least 3 or 4 books now.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6563-2004Aug16.html

Ishihara, Tetsuo. 2004 Nihongami no sekai. Kamigata to kamikazari hen / Ishihara Tetsuo = The World of traditional hairstyles and hair ornaments / Tetsuo Ishihara Nihongami Shiryōkan, Kyōto-shi

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL21418370M/Nihongami_no_sekai Maiko hairstyles

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/3800209

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/2940327

Edo 300-nen no joseibi : keshō to kamigata / Murata Takako ???????????????????? : ・サ・マ・ニ・ッ・^ / ????????

Kyōto-shi : Seigensha, 2007. ?????? : ?????h, 2007
113 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 26 cm.

9784861521263 : 4861521262
Ōedo karuchā bukkusu ???????????????`????????

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/953948 Japanese coiffure / by R. Saito ; translated by M. G. Mori

Tokyo : Board of Japanese Industry, Japanese Government Railways, c1939.
88 p. : ill. (1 col.) ; 20 cm. Tourist library ; 28

Magazines:

Daruma magazine. combs and hairpins. issue #35. summer 2002.

very comprehensive history on combs and hairpins.

Daruma magazine.traditional cosmetic utensils. issue #25. winter 2000.

wonderful representations of womens beauty trousseau. pulls together the beauty aspect.

Arts of asia. japanese combs and hairpins. march-april 1990

.

wonderful historical overview, beautiful pictures. same author who worked on daruma #35.

Websites/Photos, etc.

Izutsu Costume Museum

Click on the links http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/index.htm

(there is an equivalent in Japanese

http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000112).

. . . be sure to click the next to the last link "Old hairstyles for women (minature)"

Flikr (try other photo sites)

Nihongami

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=nihongami

Japanese hairstyles

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Japanese+hairstyles

Have to sift through them, but try this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bibiii/2188899223/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_ruin_1/tags/coiffure/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_ruin_1/tags/kanzashi/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24443965@N08/ Okinawa Soba

kanzashi

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4TSNA_enUS359US360&ndsp=18&tbs=isch:1&q=kanzashi&revid=547035070&sa=X&ei=C6o7TKaLFcT38AaH4JHXBQ&ved=0CCAQ1QIoADg2

http://barbaraanneshaircombblog.com/2009/10/04/hair-comb-exhibit-at-the-lalique-museum-in-hakone-japan/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8052859@N02/sets/72157623187763688/ ewoodham

"Show me the obi" also shows the hairstyle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24443965@N08/sets/72157605634646997/

Basic kanzashi

http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Kanzashi#Basic_kanzashi

Basic maiko hairstyles

http://www.immortalgeisha.com/hairstyles_maiko.php

http://www.creative-museum.com/en/content/bibiography

see especially:

Okazaki Collection : Combs and Ornamental Hairpins, Shikosha Kyoto, Japan ISBN: 4-87940-505-1

The mother of all ornament collectors.

Chine et Japon à Fleur de Tête /Chinese and Japanse Hair Ornaments, Catherine Olliveaud

http://www.creative-museum.com/en/content/chinese-japanese-hair-ornaments Turn over some pages of this catalogue here

Catalogue d'exposition 2005.

Centre Départemental de Documentation Pédagogique de la Charente

A comparison between Chinese and Japanese hair ornaments. Bilingual edition

ISBN: 2-903 770-47-6

Combs from around the world. POLA Research Institute of beauty and Culture 1996

ISBN: 4-938547-33-3

Combs and Hair accessories, Norma Hague

Antique pocket guides (Cambridge)1985

UK ISBN: 0-7188-2593-4 / US ISBN: 0-911403-11-6

The Casal collection

. 1984. osaka museum of art.

this collection contains inro, pipes, sheath for arms, and combs. some english, many photos.

Japanese accessories

. Sumiko Hashimoto. 1962. japan tourist library #26.

Nihon no kamigata to kamikazari no rekishi

Sumiko Hashimoto 1998. Lib of Cong: GT2295.J3 H37 1998

NYPL Digital Image Collection (I'm sure there are others)

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchresult.cfm?keyword=japan

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchresult.cfm?keyword=japanese

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchresult.cfm?keyword=hairstyles+Japan

Old photos / postcards:

http://oldphotosjapan.com/en/category/women/

http://oldphotosjapan.com/books/566/photography-in-japan-1853-1912

http://siris-archives.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=full=3100001~!235035!0#focus

Books about early Japanese photography http://www.ikjeld.com/japannews/00000463.php

http://www.postcardsjapan.com/en

http://www.mfa.org/master/sub.asp?key=41&subkey=837 Lauder collection

http://photoguide.jp/pix/thumbnails.php?album=86

http://japanesepostcards.com/gallery/people/children/ (well, 1 child)

http://www.collect.at/postcards-world-wide-postcards-from-japan-c-1_4.html

John Dougill

Jul 12, 2010, 11:17:13 PM7/12/10
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Further to all the good information about women's hairstyles, I'm wondering if there is anything at all about men's hairstyles in the Edo period and before.
I'm interested because of representations in namban-e which show men with different hairstyles, ranging from chomage to unshaved foreheads and ponytails.

I've read that the samurai style was copied by other classes later in the Edo Period. What I'm wondering in particular is whether around 1600 the different hairstyles had any significance, or was it simply a matter of fashion?
Could one tell a peasant from a samurai for instance by the style of hair? Did not having a shaved forehead or chomage have social implications?

Many thanks.
John Dougill
Kyoto

Matthew Stavros

Jul 13, 2010, 12:16:22 AM7/13/10
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Dear John,

David Howell's book (Geographies of Identity in 19th-century Japan), which treats hair styles as a function of status in the 19th century, cites the following:

Barbara D. Miller, eds, Hair: Its Power and Meaning in Asian Cultures (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1998).

(There's also a lot about samurai hair styles in James Clavell's novel Gai-Jin, but that's probably not what you're interested in!)

Matthew Stavros
www.mstavros.com
www.pmjs.org

NOTE: My work email address has changed to
matthew...@sydney.edu.au

Helen E. Moss

Jul 13, 2010, 9:24:33 AM7/13/10
to pm...@googlegroups.com
The shape and position of the chonmage, the shape of the back (tabo) seem to be especially important.  I'm sure the shape of the bin (side locks) are equally important, but I don't seem to be able to pick up all of the nuances of bin.  I just know that when I had a chonin's katsura, I had trouble feeling a samurai dance until I had it recombed.

The tabo of a samurai is flat to the back, the chonmage is neat and centered on the shaved pate.  The shape of the bin are smooth and closer to the sides of the head.

The tabo of a chonin is not, and the chonmage can be at a "jaunty" angle over the shaved pate and the knot itself can be angled downward in back.

The tabo of a sumo wrestler should be "like a harp" or so I was told by one of their hairdressers.

I have to go right now, but this is interesting, so I'll look for more.  Some of the links I sent last night do have men's information, especially Izutsu costume museum.

Ciao!