[Plone-Users] Running Plone on Google App Engine

Norman Fournier

Aug 22, 2009, 2:07:42 AM8/22/09
to plone...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hello,
Has anyone run plone with the google app engine? Is anyone familiar
with documents that describe how? Any direction would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Norman
---
Norman Fournier
604 514 1587 nor...@normanfournier.com
http://www.normanfournier.com

Roberto Allende

Aug 22, 2009, 4:47:55 PM8/22/09
Norman Fournier escribió:

> Hello,
> Has anyone run plone with the google app engine? Is anyone familiar
> with documents that describe how? Any direction would be appreciated.
> Thank you.
> Norman

Norman

As far as i know, Plone won't run in GAE. Mainly because there are some
components in Zope written in C. You can get more information about it
in the archives of this list, this issue had been discussing a year ago
more or less.

Anyway, i've seen, with my own eyes :), running a ContentMirror[1] front
end in GAE[2]. ContentMirror let's you serialize content from a Plone
site to a relational database. The front end is not Plone, is just
python or could be anything else. So, you install Plone somewhere and
setup the contentmirror front end and you'll deliver the content using
the front end. Note this approach would require coding, mostly
customizing the front end. I found Content Mirror mature enough and
ready for production, regarding the GAE front end i've no experience and
i would recommend you ask to the author, Carlos de la Guardia, about it.

Another approach to deploy Plone in the cloud, could be using Amazon Web
Services. As far as i know, this approach is ready for production. If
AWS sounds interesting, you'll enjoy Nate Aune's talk at Pycon:
http://us.pycon.org/2009/conference/schedule/event/66

Good luck and happy plonning!

Kind Regards
r.

1. http://code.google.com/p/contentmirror/
2. http://code.google.com/p/contentmirror/source/browse/#svn/mirror.gae

--
http://robertoallende.com

Andy McKay

Aug 22, 2009, 6:59:50 PM8/22/09
to Norman Fournier, plone...@lists.sourceforge.net

On 21-Aug-09, at 11:07 PM, Norman Fournier wrote:

> Hello,
> Has anyone run plone with the google app engine? Is anyone familiar
> with documents that describe how? Any direction would be appreciated.

No, you can use content mirror to do so. Or something like AWS.
--
Andy McKay
Clearwind Consulting: www.clearwind.ca